Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone,

I'm in the process of getting my wife's application for her Visa and found this forum which has provided a big insight to a lot of questions we had.

Me and my wife are married for 3+ years and have a 10 month baby boy (with an Australian passport), and we have decided to move to Australia.

From my research, it is evident that my wife needs to apply for a subclass 309 Visa, which will later on become a Permanent Resident Visa.

We are currently located in Greece and decided to take the online application path, however the problem I have is that I read that if the payment is made by a credit card that does not belong to the applicant, the Visa Application must then be submitted by post!

I was considering using my own credit card since my wife doesn't have one, but this has now caught us by suprise.

My question therefore is, can someone verify that this is actually true?

I understand the security issues in stake, however its not like she is going to pay using just anyone's credit card - its her husbands (mine!).

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks again

Chris.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Nope not true at all. My husband's 820 online was paid by a credit card in my name.

Also your wife should get permanent straight up because of the length of your marriage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mish and thanks for your reply. I'm going to search for the information again to see double-check it. I can agree that immi.gov.au doesn't seen to state anywhere that the application needs to be sent via post in case of using someone else's credit card.

Also, I saw that the application fee is now abit over 3,000. Any idea if this is paid in one installment or in two? I read on immi.gov.au that its two installments, without specifying the amount for each installment.

Thanks in advanced!

Chris.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for everyone's input.

I have found the section to which I was referring, which seems that you need to post the application when paying with someone else's credit card.

Please read here:

(Can post url, so please excuse the link)

immi.gov.au /Visas/Pages/checklists/309-100.aspx

Under the section "Charges":

Charges

Pay the visa application charge.

If your sponsor has paid the visa application charge for you then you must provide the original receipt to show they have paid and you must lodge your application by post or in person.
I'm really confused now .... :)

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
I think you can safely ignore that outdated/incorrect information. Many applicants have lodged online with their sponsor's or other credit card with no issues. Fees must be paid in one instalment.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Chris that is outdated information. That is from when applications were lodged via post and the sponsor would pay the fees in Australia instead of providing credit card details on the application.

Also it must be paid in one instalment. Also you can not start attaching documents until it is lodged and paid for and there is now a maximum of 60 attachments.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've decided to send them an enquiry using the "Australian Immigration Enquiry form for Europe" . Let's hope they answer soon enough!

I sent them another question two days ago, but still no answer.

If anyone else can shed some light, I'd highly appreciate it.

btw, Maggie, the specific page/url was updated/ reviewed recently:

Last reviewed Friday 22 August 2014

Don't know if they missed this, but its an important detail.

I'll let you know if I get a reply and what they said.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mish,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a feeling you are all correct, its just that the amount of money that needs to be paid is extremly large, so I just want to make sure I don't get stuck in a mess afterwards.

I trust you understand why I'm so cautious.

Cheers,

·
Registered
29 Posts
I paid for my husband's application with my credit card.
It ended up helping when I went to get a visa extension for the USA because the USA wanted to know that I plan to go home after the extended period, and when you put in that sort of money for an Aussie visa, you're clearly planning on going home!

Reactions: Dinkum

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Those "last reviewed" notations on pages are useless. Just because they reviewed it unfortunately doesn't mean it's free of outdated information. They still have timetables up for the processing of partner visas that have been outdated for two years now. It is absolutely correct that you do not have to apply by post if your partner is paying for you. I too applied using my partner's card and applied online. The application payment is one installment only.

Reactions: chrisp

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I've decided to go through with the payment tonight. I'll update this thread as I progress, just in case anyone else stumbles across the same problem :)

On another note, will I need to still have two people complete "Form 888 Statutory declaration" , after which I'll scan and upload as a document?

Many thanks

Chris.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Since you're applying offshore, they don't have to be Form 888s completed by Australian citizens or Permanent Residents. You just need a minimum of TWO statements from anyone, anywhere in the world about your relationship, signed and certified by the standards of whatever country you're applying from. (In the US we use notary publics, in the UK they use solicitors - not sure what standards are for Greece). They also need to provide a copy of government-issued ID (passport preferable) which needs to be certified as well. These are the only things that have to be certified if you're applying online. And yes, after you get them, you'll scan them and upload them as documents.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much for your reply CollegeGirl!

Since one of my sisters is currently living in Australia (AU Citizen), I'm going to ask her to fill in one form and send it over in PDF color format along with a scanned picture of her AU passport. Do you belieive this would be adequate?

The second form will be filled by my second sister here in Greece who also has a AU password, but we'll get it witnessed by a Doctor. Again, I'll colour scan it with her AU passport.

In both cases, would I need to get any of the passports 'certified'? From what I've read, since they are going to be colour scans, we should be covered.....

Thanks again for your time.!

Chris.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Scanned color passport is fine - but the Form 888 (Aussies need to use Form 888 for you) will need to be certified. There's a huge long list of people who can certify in Australia, though, so it should be pretty easy for her.

Your second sister has an AU passport? That means she's an AU citizen, so she'll need Form 888 as well. She'll need to follow Greek certification standards, though, since she's in Greece - so you need to find out what those are. You can always call your embassy and ask who can certify documents for Immigration purposes in Greece.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I actually just found out who can certify documents in Greece for you. Turns out it has to either be a Notary Public or the document has to be certified at the Embassy in Athens.

Certified Copies - Australian Embassy (See "In Greece")

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CollegeGirl,

Thanks once again for your help. I came across the page you mentioned, however I was under the impression that since my second sister is outside of Australia, I could avoid going to the embassy or a notary public. The embassy is in Athens, which means travelling, and finding a notary public with an english stamp, can be challenging.

I have two more options I can think of, either getting a relative/friend who is a doctor, here in Greece, to fill in and sign the form - that way I should be covered, or get a friend from Australia to do the same as my sister (in Australia).

Would you happen to have any suggestions?

Many thanks once again!

Chris.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
There is actually no legal requirement to provide any forms 888 with a standard partner visa application. Obviously it will be very helpful if you can, but supporting statements can come in many forms: affidavits, statuary declarations or just a signed letter. In all cases it must be possible for the Department to contact the person making the statement. With the online form all you need to do is provide the details of at least 2 people who can vouch for you and who can be contacted by the Department. With a 3 year marriage and an Australian citizen baby you should have a pretty strong case anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nick,

I appreciate your time and reply. I can confirm that on the online application, we added two people (both doctors) here in Greece who can confirm our relationship, however I was under the impression that we need to also fill in two 888 Forms as well.

From what you are saying, its highly likely we won't need to get the 888 forms filled and signed;

If this is the case, do you believe I can proceed with the payment and submission of the application?

As a final question, am I able to present phone/electricity bills which have our home (common) address, but do not have both names ? Also these bills are in Greek, so I'm not sure if they need to be translated as well. Its just that here in Greece, you don't get bills with both names on them :)

Thanks once again!

Chris.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Nick,

I appreciate your time and reply. I can confirm that on the online application, we added two people (both doctors) here in Greece who can confirm our relationship, however I was under the impression that we need to also fill in two 888 Forms as well.

From what you are saying, its highly likely we won't need to get the 888 forms filled and signed;

If this is the case, do you believe I can proceed with the payment and submission of the application?

As a final question, am I able to present phone/electricity bills which have our home (common) address, but do not have both names ? Also these bills are in Greek, so I'm not sure if they need to be translated as well. Its just that here in Greece, you don't get bills with both names on them :)

Thanks once again!

Chris.
I strongly advice to use forms 888 or similar whenever possible, but it is not a legal requirement, except in some specific circumstances (for people who are applying for a partner visa in Australia and have either had an application refused or a visa cancelled onshore).

I would recommend though that, as a minimum, you do get signed statements/ affidavits from your 2 witnesses and add them to your application.

You can use any documents that got either both or each of your names on it as long as it shows you are at the same address. If the document would be hard to decipher for a non-Greek, I'd have it translated.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.