Australia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deciding between visas, and noticed that some requires me to be inside/outside Australia when the grant decision is made.

But how will this work practically if I'm on the wrong place when they're making the decision?

e.g. If I need to be outside Australia, but I'm a tourist in Australia when they make the decision?
e.g. If I need to be inside Australia, but I'm visiting my home country on a BVB?

Will I lose the visa application/my place in the queue, or will they just contact me and delay the decision until I get to the right place?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Will I lose the visa application/my place in the queue, or will they just contact me and delay the decision until I get to the right place?
Generally, the latter … but you will need to get Where you need to be within a reasonable timeframe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

No problem with getting to the right place ASAP, but the word 'generally' suggests sometimes an applicant can lose the whole application? Are there factors that will make this more/less likely?

Just bit wary cause it's a parent visa with very long queue and we would be devastated to start over just because of travels.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Are there factors that will make this more/less likely?
The type of visa being applied for, which wasn't specified in your original post.

For a parent visa, they will contact you.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Thanks for the clarification! Out of curiosity which visa decision would be cancelled when applicant is in the wrong place then? Is it the more short-term ones?
For example … if you applied for an onshore visitor visa to extend your stay and then left Australia before it was granted (and it’s ‘refused’ not ‘cancelled’).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah yes thank you, that would be logical.

Sorry one last related question. If we apply for a visa that allows the applicant to be either inside or outside Australia at the point of decision, can we switch half-way?

e.g. We apply onshore and receive a BVA, but need to travel later and either BVB is not approved or too short. Can we just return to home country and wait, since the visa allows for a decision when applicant is outside Australia? Or must we be in Australia since the application was first made onshore?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts