Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just looking for some feedback on my current situation. I would greatly appreciate any and all thoughts from members.
I am 40 (Australian) & my fiance is 36 ( Indonesian)
My fiance and I originally first met online in 2014 and communicated for 6 months-
Reconnected via social media Oct-16 & from Dec-16 started communicating daily-
First in person meeting July 17-
Relationship commenced Aug 17-
2nd trip: Oct 17-
3rd trip: Mar 18-
4th trip: Aug 18-
5th trip: Sep 18-
Engaged: Sep 18-
6th trip: December 18- (family trip with our children)

My fiance has a visit planned in March/April this year and originally we had planned to marry in her country & then decided to possibly marry here in Australia due to costs involved etc..
Bottom line is we are now discussing the option of marrying here in her next trip as we are unable to find a good timeline that suits all of our family members to attend a wedding.
So we are thinking of just marrying ourselves and arranging belated celebrations at another point in time.
We are discussing the option of applying for an onshore 820 partner visa, after we are married.
Although we have not lived together for an extended period of time obviously due to having children in our respective countries etc, I am just wondering if our history holds us in good stead?
Is it wise to apply for a partner visa so quickly after marriage etc?

We obviously have plenty of evidence of communication, holiday pictures, in depth discussions about the future, approval from both families etc

Appreciate any advice or notes of information anyone could provide.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I'm no professional so I can't comment on your eligibility.

I would like to chime in and offer you another option that you may not be aware of. If you're already planning to marry, then the subclass 300 is an option. My partner and I took it as even though we had spent a lot of time together on visits and had a long distance relationship, we didn't feel like we'd meet the requirements for the de facto/spouse visas. The 300 pretty much just requires that you both be over 18 and free to legally marry, have met in person since turning 18, and be in a genuine relationship.

Once the 300 is granted, she would have to enter Australia prior to marrying (you can then marry here if you like). And then before it expires in the 9 months from grant, apply for the onshore 820/801 at a reduced fee (and usually faster processing times... mine took 20 days from a 300).

Just a thought. If you qualify for the 309/100 or 820/801, then that would be the cheaper option (especially if she's adding multiple children to her app as that increases the fees).

To answer your question, if the relationship is well established, I personally wouldn't think applying for the visa shortly after marrying would look suspicious. Someone who just met their partner for the first time or only met once or twice in person in a short amount of time and then married would look more like they're marrying for a visa than you would, but that's just my opinion!

FYI, we also just did a marriage at the registry office with a few witnesses, then did the big wedding later on to give friends and family plenty of notice, especially those coming from overseas.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi all. Just looking for some feedback on my current situation. I would greatly appreciate any and all thoughts from members.
My fiance and I originally first met online in 2014 and communicated for 6 months-

My fiance has a visit planned in March/April this year and originally we had planned to marry in her country & then decided to possibly marry here in Australia due to costs involved etc..
Bottom line is we are now discussing the option of marrying here in her next trip as we are unable to find a good timeline that suits all of our family members to attend a wedding.
So we are thinking of just marrying ourselves and arranging belated celebrations at another point in time.
We are discussing the option of applying for an onshore 820 partner visa, after we are married.
Although we have not lived together for an extended period of time obviously due to having children in our respective countries etc, I am just wondering if our history holds us in good stead?

We obviously have plenty of evidence of communication, holiday pictures, in depth discussions about the future, approval from both families etc

Thanks Again.
I was applied 820/801 onshore while holding a tourist visa 600 before me and my partner got married and they granted me Bridging visa straight away.
You and your partner have an eligibility to proof a long term relationship evidence. The fee is $7160 and applied throught an online immiaccount.
It's better to start the Joint Bank account, the lease together etc.
After applying just wait the process until it decide either your wife get TR/PR.
If there is dependent child involve, it has to be submit before your wife application have decide.
That's my thought. All the best

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was applied 820/801 onshore while holding a tourist visa 600 before me and my partner got married and they granted me Bridging visa straight away.
You and your partner have an eligibility to proof a long term relationship evidence. The fee is $7160 and applied throught an online immiaccount.
After applying just wait the process until it decide either your wife get TR/PR.
If there is dependent child involve, it has to be submit before your wife application have decide.
Hi! I have a similar situation however we're just about to lodge our application online. With regard to the bridging visa, does the tourist visa needs to expire first before they issue a bridging visa? My tourist visa has provisions for 1 year stay and will only expire in October 2019.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi! I have a similar situation however we're just about to lodge our application online. With regard to the bridging visa, does the tourist visa needs to expire first before they issue a bridging visa? My tourist visa has provisions for 1 year stay and will only expire in October 2019.
Put aside your tourist visa expiration date Oct 2019. When did you arrive in Australia? You can count the date on arrival as your point to move forward. Example if you're arrived in Australia 27 Dec 2018 and you stay on shore 3 months while you're applying 820/801 and the bridging visa acknowledged letter will be in your email after you submit and you paid the application onshore. Your bridging visa will active if you stay onshore for 3 months and it'll be start the next day after 27 Feb 2019. Something like that

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Put aside your tourist visa expiration date Oct 2019. When did you arrive in Australia? You can count the date on arrival as your point to move forward. Example if you're arrived in Australia 27 Dec 2018 and you stay on shore 3 months while you're applying 820/801 and the bridging visa acknowledged letter will be in your email after you submit and you paid the application onshore. Your bridging visa will active if you stay onshore for 3 months and it'll be start the next day after 27 Feb 2019. Something like that
Some people get 12 month visitor visas that allow the full 12 month stay, without the 3 month limitation.

That might create a different situation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some people get 12 month visitor visas that allow the full 12 month stay, without the 3 month limitation.

That might create a different situation.
He/she want to apply 820/801 and does He/she have to stay for 12 months on tourist visa ? I have 3 yrs multiple tourist visa for 3 months stay in Australia but I never stay more than 12 months since 2011.

But I don't know maybe everyone different case

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
He/she want to apply 820/801 and does He/she have to stay for 12 months on tourist visa ? I have 3 yrs multiple tourist visa for 3 months stay in Australia but I never stay more than 12 months since 2011.

But I don't know maybe everyone different case
Yes, there are different stay periods with the 600 visa.

Our 600 visitor visa was a 12 month stay, each entry, visa, so in that situation would probably have stayed valid until 12 months after entry.

It is worth being aware of the full visa conditions.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Thanks Again.
My partner and i met on a dating site on july 2011.Started chatting everyday. 4 months of communication he decided to visit and met me in person for first time in nov. 2011. Got engaged 2012 and eventually got married in philippines july 2013. We applied for offshore partner temporary visa oct 2013 and was granted march 2014. I believe that it does not matter how soon after marriage you apply for a visa as long as you can support that the relationship is genuine. Provide as much evidence as you can. Every receipt of your travel together, every receipt of hotel accomodation each time you visit her. All copy of phone calls, text message or anyway of communication between the two of you while apart is a big help. And send them a cope of receipt of engagement ring and receipt of wedding ring and wedding itself if you incase get married to her country.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.