Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but how does the process work for being approved to sponsor my partner onshore in Australia?

What is the timeframe for approval to sponsor as I had read this is the first step in the application?

The reason I ask is in order to determine what point her application will be considered lodged in order for her to move to a BVA so that we can plan out timeline appropriately. I would hate for any delay preventing her being eligible for a BVA before her current visa expires.

Or is it a case of she applies online and instantly eligible for BVA regardless of sponsor being approved yet or not?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Hi

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but how does the process work for being approved to sponsor my partner onshore in Australia?

What is the timeframe for approval to sponsor as I had read this is the first step in the application?

The reason I ask is in order to determine what point her application will be considered lodged in order for her to move to a BVA so that we can plan out timeline appropriately. I would hate for any delay preventing her being eligible for a BVA before her current visa expires.

Or is it a case of she applies online and instantly eligible for BVA regardless of sponsor being approved yet or not?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
As it is now, you lodge a valid visa application first and BVA will be granted immediately or soon after. Then you lodge the sponsor application. Sponsor is assessed, before visa application can be decided.

The proposed change is for the sponsor application to be lodged and processed first, before the visa application can be lodged. We don't know how that is going to work in practice yet, so there is not much point speculating about it. The obvious problem will be for people on temporary visas, if their stay period expires, before the sponsorship application has been approved.

My advice: if you currently meet the requirements, lodge the application now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
As it is now, you lodge a valid visa application first and BVA will be granted immediately or soon after. Then you lodge the sponsor application. Sponsor is assessed, before visa application can be decided.

The proposed change is for the sponsor application to be lodged and processed first, before the visa application can be lodged. We don't know how that is going to work in practice yet, so there is not much point speculating about it. The obvious problem will be for people on temporary visas, if their stay period expires, before the sponsorship application has been approved.

Thanks for the above information, it's very helpful.

Has there been any indication/suggestion/rumour as to when the proposed changes for sponsors may take effect?

·
Registered
796 Posts
There's been tons of rumours and suggestions starting from August last year.
No point trying to anticipate when without official word.
Thurm an Merman;1925927 said:
Hi

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Has there been any indication/suggestion/rumour as to when the proposed changes for sponsors may take effect?

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts

I don't bother with rumours....I can't see the point of speculating. If you meet the requirements, lodge now. If you don't, there's little you can do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.