Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thanks for reading and any thoughts. My partner and I are going to lodge a partner visa application soon, but we're wondering if it's worth applying onshore or for me to go home and for us to apply offshore. The reason for this is we are in WA and it's hard to get full time work, which is really demoralising for me (as much as I'd rather stay here with him). Whereas I could go home and get work straight away. The money situation is fine as we both have savings and my partner works. My question really is do you think it will it look bad to immigration if I go home and apply from there?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
It is hard to tell how immigration will deal with it, You could explain it to them in your application as in it is a faster way to PR for better employment considerations and a chance to replenish the savings after the expensive application fee.

Both I think are reasonable explanations.

On the other hand you may miss an opportunity of employment because you are offshore, and if the reason you are not getting employment now is because you have a temp visa now. Things wont change much if your 309 is granted, as that is also a temp visa.

Where in WA are you and what type of work do you do? - out of interest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! I'm in Perth, but work has been really hard to find. Currently I do some casual retail work, but it's not really enough. Honestly, any full time work would be great and I'm applying all the time but the constant rejection gets you down which is why I've been thinking about going home and coming back.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I'm in Perth, but work has been really hard to find. Currently I do some casual retail work, but it's not really enough. Honestly, any full time work would be great and I'm applying all the time but the constant rejection gets you down which is why I've been thinking about going home and coming back.
The rejection can be quite awful, but so can time and distance from your partner. I think it's really a matter of preference and what would work best for you and your partner. Currently the s/c 309 is processing faster than the onshore s/c 820.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The rejection can be quite awful, but so can time and distance from your partner. I think it's really a matter of preference and what would work best for you and your partner. Currently the s/c 309 is processing faster than the onshore s/c 820.
We have applied offshore in Canada and I have been actively following the boards here since last May.

If you apply offshore from the London location (Australia Home Affairs), you might find a very quick turn around.

There is a thread here which is showing average wait times for Visa grants and London seems to be approving most expediently.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The money situation is fine as we both have savings and my partner works. My question really is do you think it will it look bad to immigration if I go home and apply from there?
I am a bit confused I guess - what is the main driver for going back to the UK and what are your plans once the 309 is granted? I assume you will still be coming back to Australia at that point and will face a similar situation jobs wise. So I wonder what you gain by going back to the UK temporarily if money is not a key driver and it doesn't seem to help the long term solution of finding work in Australia.

I think if I were you I would apply from onshore and keep plugging away at finding that job in Perth.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I am a bit confused I guess - what is the main driver for going back to the UK and what are your plans once the 309 is granted? I assume you will still be coming back to Australia at that point and will face a similar situation jobs wise. So I wonder what you gain by going back to the UK temporarily if money is not a key driver and it doesn't seem to help the long term solution of finding work in Australia.

I think if I were you I would apply from onshore and keep plugging away at finding that job in Perth.
After re-reading, I would suggest the same.

Op, are you on a WHV at the moment?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your replies. My thoughts were more that I know I can get HR/admin work very easily at home, and so more experience for my resume (plus more money because I'd be working full time and living with family). That way when I come back I'll have more chance of finding work with recent experience. I'm currently on a student visa, which made it more difficult to find work because of the visa restrictions. I'm hopeful now I can work full time I'll be able to find work, it's just so tempting to go home for six months or so because I know how easily I can get work. In reality though I'd rather stay here, we've already done long distance and it'd be hard to do it again. It's a difficult decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.