Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my grant for permanent residency visa subclass 189 in March 2016 and I visited Sydney in April for short trip ( 3days ) to activate my visa.

Now I am moving to Melbourne on December permanently. I understand overseas license can be used to drive in victoria for 6 months.

When does this 6 month start, Is it from the date I activated my visa by short trip ( April ) or the date I'm planning enter country to stay permanently ( this month ) ?

:confused:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I received my grant for permanent residency visa subclass 189 in March 2016 and I visited Sydney in April for short trip ( 3days ) to activate my visa.

Now I am moving to Melbourne on December permanently. I understand overseas license can be used to drive in victoria for 6 months.

When does this 6 month start, Is it from the date I activated my visa by short trip ( April ) or the date I'm planning enter country to stay permanently ( this month ) ?

:confused:
6 months from the date you activated your PR is the stated period, for Victoria.. https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/new-to-victoria/overseas-drivers

If you hold a permanent visa (issued under the Migration Act 1958) you may drive on your overseas driver licence if it's written in English or accompanied by an English translation or international driving permit for:

6 months from the date you first entered Australia (if the permanent visa was issued before you entered Australia),
or
6 months from the date when the permanent visa was issued (if the permanent visa was issued to you while in Australia).

Reactions: harshanaiw

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, This cleared the doubt

6 months from the date you activated your PR is the stated period, for Victoria.. ]

If you hold a permanent visa (issued under the Migration Act 1958) you may drive on your overseas driver licence if it's written in English or accompanied by an English translation or international driving permit for:

6 months from the date you first entered Australia (if the permanent visa was issued before you entered Australia),
or
6 months from the date when the permanent visa was issued (if the permanent visa was issued to you while in Australia).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.