Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I posted on here several months ago about a complex situation involving overstaying on a tourist ETA for 9 months due to some mix-ups regarding time frames (please refer to previous posts for more details) and then becoming fearful of ruining my relationship and my education if I left.

It was uncertain if I would be given a difficult time with my PMV 300 application through Ottawa but I received my grant a few days after being asked to submit my police clearance and I was not asked for an interview. I thought I should login to share this because when I searched for evidence of overstayed being granted a partner visa or PMV I was not able to find much information. I realize it's on a case by case basis but I want to share some of the details included in the application that might help below:

-a statutory declaration in full honesty explaining why the overstay. In this I explained why I entered on and ETA if my intent was to study and I also attached documentation showing where a representative for the uni I was applying to said it was ok for me to do this and shared that they have had other students enter like this

- a few very personal texts that only couples would share using pet names or things about bathroom details lol. This may be why they didn't bother to interview me.

- lots of documentation of joint travel and residing in another country together currently

- details of wedding planning

- family photos

-statue from Fiji with both our names engraved on it

- joint lease

It's a big issue to overstay and I realize I may be lucky and it is case by case but I do believe if the overstay was due to wanting your relationship to work and you are in a genuine relationship it will most likely work out for you if you can admit how you handled the situation (overstaying) was wrong and that you show you want to right the situation by contributing to Australian society.

I guess I'm not really in the clear until I get through immigration when I arrive in June. Fingers crossed that they don't detain me :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Msankar85,

Thank you so much for sharing this information and congratulations on your visa grant!
I find this really valuable as my partner and I are also in a similar situation. He has applied for his PMV 300 and overstayed in June last year (by accident) for just a week. He was granted a bridging visa to try to sort this out, which didn't work out and in the end he left the country on this bridging visa and was told he had a 3 year exclusion period from Australia. I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

Where did you apply from?
How long did the grant take, all in?
How many times were you contacted? Just the once asking for the police check?
How long after you submitted the requested document was your visa granted?

We applied back in September, 7 months ago and have heard nothing. We frontloaded everything including police checks for us both, and he was asked to do the medical on the same day of application. We are both wondering if he will be asked for more information on the overstay situation. We were honest and upfront in the application, stated that he overstayed and why, what happened when he tried to sort it out and how him leaving was upsetting for us both. We probably didn't go into as much detail as you did with a separate declaration (all this was included in our relationship declarations), but given his overstay was a different circumstance to yours, hopefully less details required...
We also have similar evidence, lots of travel together, living together in NZ, necklaces with names engraved, personal conversations evidently between a couple, wedding plans etc. So your case gives me a lot of hope.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
A partner visa is one of the very few visas that a previous overstay does not affect, especially if the overstay relates to being caused due to staying with a partner.

Always best to explain it fully though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you apply from?
How long did the grant take, all in?
How many times were you contacted? Just the once asking for the police check?
How long after you submitted the requested document was your visa granted?

We applied back in September, 7 months ago and have heard nothing. We frontloaded everything including police checks for us both, and he was asked to do the medical on the same day of application. We are both wondering if he will be asked for more information on the overstay situation. We were honest and upfront in the application, stated that he overstayed and why, what happened when he tried to sort it out and how him leaving was upsetting for us both. We probably didn't go into as much detail as you did with a separate declaration (all this was included in our relationship declarations), but given his overstay was a different circumstance to yours, hopefully less details required...
We also have similar evidence, lots of travel together, living together in NZ, necklaces with names engraved, personal conversations evidently between a couple, wedding plans etc. So your case gives me a lot of hope.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.
I'm glad my post has given you more hope. I applied from Ottawa in Canada and I am a Canadian born citizen. It took 9.5 months in total to receive the grant. We were only contacted once and asked to get the police checks in. After submitting these it took only 3 days. The grant process would have been a bit faster if we had gotten our police checks in sooner. That would have put us at just over 8 months if we had included them. It took us so long to get them in after the request, 5 weeks because we needed to arrange having family receive them and scan them for us since we are living overseas in Vietnam now. We also didn't rush the police checks when they asked us because we knew we were going to stay here in Vietnam until close to my deadline for first entry into Australia anyway.

Don't be too stressed about your application not being processed quickly. Initially I felt this way too and like it couldn't come soon enough but in retrospect I'm now very happy I wasn't given my grant in a few weeks like I had initially wished for when I put the application in. If I had gotten it quickly I wouldn't have opened myself up to other opportunities for traveling and working internationally. We only really traveled and worked in Asia because it was a way for us to be together because he cannot work in Canada and we can't afford to live on a single income there.

Moving to Asia has turned out to be a really great experience for us. So things work out the way they do always for a reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.