Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Overstayed visa unknowingly

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  needinfo2018 
#1 ·
Hello Friends, few years back when I had newly moved to Australia, my mother visited me, she had 1 year visa with condition of 3 months maximum stay in one visit, however, we applied for further stay visa when she was here, the stay was granted, we were under the impression that the stay was granted for the whole length of the visa, Mum went back after 10 months stay, she applied for visitor visa again in 2014, however, the visa was refused on the basis on overstaying than intended, It was an unhappy surprise for us as we did not know that she had overstayed unknowingly on her previous visit.
At present I want to sponsor her to visit me in Australia again, but I do not really know how to convince the immigration department that it was an genuine unknown mistake, what sort of evidence/documents should I provide to the immigration department that the visa get granted this time,
Seriously friends the more I think about it, more confusing it gets.
would anyone be able to give me some ideas.

cheers

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Mr. Russell.
What could be done in this situation, as mentioned above, the last application for the visitor visa was due to the overstay on the previous visit.
I am not sure what sort of supporting documentation to to provide immigration department to show that, the applicant overstayed the visa limit unknowingly and applicant is not going to overstay on future visits

Cheers

#4 ·
She probably had a 3 year ban applied when she tried applying after 10 months which was why it was automatically rejected.
So no you just approach it as you would a normal visitor visa and include all the evidence to support it. of course you would include a note that the previous grant letter wasn't fully read resulting in the overstay and that in future the grant letter will be thoroughly examined and all conditions adhered to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.