Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an australian citizen in a position to sponsor my widowed mother (66 yrs) under the contributory aged parent criteria. however i have read the parent migration booklet and my mother fails the balance of family test as I have 2 sisters living overseas (we are 3 siblings in total as my mother has one son - me, and 2 daughters).

None of my sisters are planning to move to australia any time ever. My mother has her own savings and her own house where she lives alone (my sisters do not live with her nor are they much in touch with her although they live in the same city) and thus is not financially dependent on me. Not sure but I guess this pretty much rules out aged dependent relative/aged parent category too?

Is there any way that the balance of family test may not be applicable in her case and that I can get her to live with me in Australia - whether contributory or not contributory category? Can someone point me in some direction?

warm regards,

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
No, the balance of family test must be passed for any parent visa. Unless one of your sisters becomes a permanent resident of Australia, your mother won't be able to apply for a visa.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Maggie. However I was wondering if there was any other category similar to the contributory type where the BoF is not applicable.

Besides, my sisters are as good as not being there as they are not on good/talking terms with my mother. Wonder if this point can be taken into consideration to qualify for the BoF?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Btw, the new website (update today) does mention there being an Aged Parent's category which does not require BoF but instead requires the parent to be financially dependent on me (which in my case she is not as she has her own savings/house). Supposing she was, it would still be useless as I think the wait times exceed 15 yrs :( . Waaaaaaaaah, I want my mommy!

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I was wondering if there was any other category similar to the contributory type where the BoF is not applicable.
Yes there is.

You might want to look at subclass 838.

If you do, take some professional advice. It is very easy to shoot yourself in the foot when applying for this subclass.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes there is.

You might want to look at subclass 838.

If you do, take some professional advice. It is very easy to shoot yourself in the foot when applying for this subclass.
Thanks for your reply, however I dont think my mum will be eligible for this visa. Primarily because she is not financially or physically dependent on me - only emotionally so. Your views?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.