Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. My name is Raleigh. I'm new here and have been lurking in the forums for a couple months to seek out some answers but everyone's situation is different...

My partner (Australian) and I (American) submitted our Partner Visa (820) on 17 Nov 2017 and we were immediately informed that I had been put on a Bridging Visa until a decision was made. Since the date of payment, we have attached all required documentation (give or take a few things).

For those of you who have gone through the process:

1. At what point were you given a "case worker" (if that's the right terminology)?

and

2. We consulted with a Migration Attorney before we lodged and he told us that as soon as we lodge that I would be able to start working immediately. Has anyone found this to be true? If so, could someone shed some light on this process and the in's and outs of everything afterwards?

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find anything that gave a clear and concise answer.

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey everyone. My name is Raleigh. I'm new here and have been lurking in the forums for a couple months to seek out some answers but everyone's situation is different...

My partner (Australian) and I (American) submitted our Partner Visa (820) on 17 Nov 2017 and we were immediately informed that I had been put on a Bridging Visa until a decision was made. Since the date of payment, we have attached all required documentation (give or take a few things).

For those of you who have gone through the process:

1. At what point were you given a "case worker" (if that's the right terminology)?

and

2. We consulted with a Migration Attorney before we lodged and he told us that as soon as we lodge that I would be able to start working immediately. Has anyone found this to be true? If so, could someone shed some light on this process and the in's and outs of everything afterwards?

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find anything that gave a clear and concise answer.

Thanks in advance!
In answer to your first question there's no point you get a case worker. If DIBP need more info someone might contact you (not necessarily a case officer) otherwise you might never hear between now and visa grant.

In answer to your second question what visa are you on right now? I think generally the work right starts when your bridging visa kicks in. you are however eligible right now to apply for Medicare so get your bridging visa grant notice and acknowledgement of receipt for your 820 application and enrol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In answer to your first question there's no point you get a case worker. If DIBP need more info someone might contact you (not necessarily a case officer) otherwise you might never hear between now and visa grant.

In answer to your second question what visa are you on right now? I think generally the work right starts when your bridging visa kicks in. you are however eligible right now to apply for Medicare so get your bridging visa grant notice and acknowledgement of receipt for your 820 application and enrol.
I'm currently on the partner bridging visa.

To give you some background: I was on just a Travel Visa until 18 Nov but lodged everything for the partner visa on 17 Nov. Once lodged, I received the email from Immi that my bridging visa had been granted.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
This is REALLY important: Your bridging visa does NOT kick in until your current stay on your current visa (so your tourist visa, it sounds like) EXPIRES. So for you, since you're an American, you're likely on an ETA - is that correct? So you can start working when your current 3 month stay expires. While your bridging visa has been GRANTED, it is not ACTIVE until then. If your immigration lawyer told you otherwise, he should not have. Is he a MARA-registered migration agent? Should have a MARN number. An immigration lawyer or attorney is not the same thing as a registered agent and they can sometimes give not great advice if they're not also an agent.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
And there's really no such thing anymore as having a single Case Officer from DIBP assigned to your case. Multiple case officers work on every case just about these days. You will not hear from any of them unless you've forgotten something, or if you haven't already provided your medical and police checks. (That's okay, by the way - many people these days are waiting to provide them since they may otherwise expire before your case is decided. It's okay to wait until they ask.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is REALLY important: Your bridging visa does NOT kick in until your current stay on your current visa (so your tourist visa, it sounds like) EXPIRES. So for you, since you're an American, you're likely on an ETA - is that correct? So you can start working when your current 3 month stay expires. While your bridging visa has been GRANTED, it is not ACTIVE until then. If your immigration lawyer told you otherwise, he should not have. Is he a MARA-registered migration agent? Should have a MARN number. An immigration lawyer or attorney is not the same thing as a registered agent and they can sometimes give not great advice if they're not also an agent.
To answer your questions:

Yes, I was on an ETA that has already expired, on 18 Nov. When I submitted my application, my partner's application and paid the fee - we were then sent an email about my bridging visa grant notification. All that was the day before my ETA expired, 17 Nov. So, if I understand you correctly...since my ETA expired on 18 Nov, then my bridging visa took effect at 12:01am on 19 Nov, is that right?

According to his business card, he is a Registered Migration Agent and Immigration Lawyer. And he does have a MARN number.

I'm sorry for being so naive, I'm all very new to this and still understanding how it all works.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
To answer your questions:

Yes, I was on an ETA that has already expired, on 18 Nov. When I submitted my application, my partner's application and paid the fee - we were then sent an email about my bridging visa grant notification. All that was the day before my ETA expired, 17 Nov. So, if I understand you correctly...since my ETA expired on 18 Nov, then my bridging visa took effect at 12:01am on 19 Nov, is that right?

According to his business card, he is a Registered Migration Agent and Immigration Lawyer. And he does have a MARN number.

I'm sorry for being so naive, I'm all very new to this and still understanding how it all works.
Ah sorry - I missed that it expired on the 18 November! Yes, you're good then - your BVA should be active and you can work now. You can always log into VEVO and make sure, but that's how it should be. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah sorry - I missed that it expired on the 17 November! Yes, you're good then - your BVA should be active and you can work now. You can always log into VEVO and make sure, but that's how it should be. :)
Okay, I'll log into VEVO and double check. Thank you SO much!!

I have one last (probably dumb) question. :eek:

If all is well and I can work. Coming from the US and being eligible to work, you need a SS#. I know here most, if not all, employers ask for a Tax File #. What should I say when I'm asked this question?

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
You can apply for a tax file number now I believe. :) I got one when I was on a PMV.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I arrived on 18 Aug 2017.
Should be good to go then. The reason for all the questions on it is there is a big difference between visa expiry and current stay expiry. Also, everyone that applies for a partner visa gets a BVA grant notice straight away, even if it doesn't go into effect for another year due to the visa someone is already on. Just because you had a grant didn't mean it was in effect.

If your last entry to Oz was 18 Aug and you haven't left since then, your 3 month stay period is up and the BVA will have kicked in. Check the BVA on VEVO to be sure (we recommend this to everyone).

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
As already said, you may never know if you even have a CO if your visa app goes straight to grant. There's no set period for when one will look at your app so no way to tell you when you'll get one.

If your BVA is active (and it sounds like it is), then yes you can work. Apply for your TFN like already mentioned, apply for Medicare and get your temporary card, and sit back and enjoy the wait for your partner visa.

Don't forget a BVA does not come with travel rights so stay here or apply for a BVB if you want to leave and come back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As already said, you may never know if you even have a CO if your visa app goes straight to grant. There's no set period for when one will look at your app so no way to tell you when you'll get one.

If your BVA is active (and it sounds like it is), then yes you can work. Apply for your TFN like already mentioned, apply for Medicare and get your temporary card, and sit back and enjoy the wait for your partner visa.

Don't forget a BVA does not come with travel rights so stay here or apply for a BVB if you want to leave and come back.
Thank you for breaking it down for me, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

And many thanks everyone who contributed!! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is this your first time to visit Australia?

I am very much interested with this thread. I am aware that partner visa cost $7000 but I wanted to know if you have to pay for the bridging visa?

·
Registered
242 Posts

I am very much interested with this thread. I am aware that partner visa cost $7000 but I wanted to know if you have to pay for the bridging visa?
The price of the 820, BVA, and 801 are all included in the $7000 est. cost which you pay when you apply for the 820 :)

·
Registered
24 Posts

The price of the 820, BVA, and 801 are all included in the $7000 est. cost which you pay when you apply for the 820
Thank you for your response. I was planning to do the same process.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bva a (010)

Hello! I'm in a similar situation and I'm trying to find our my work rights. I previously held a Working holiday visa, does anyone know if this means I've got NO restictions on 6-months of employment anymore on my new BVA, or do the same rules apply as my WHV?
I'm getting mixed messages, on my grant letter it says "Full Work Rights". I'm not sure if my old visa rules still apply which people say it does, or if the 6-month limitation has been waved.
*Confused*

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Hello! I'm in a similar situation and I'm trying to find our my work rights. I previously held a Working holiday visa, does anyone know if this means I've got NO restictions on 6-months of employment anymore on my new BVA, or do the same rules apply as my WHV?
I'm getting mixed messages, on my grant letter it says "Full Work Rights". I'm not sure if my old visa rules still apply which people say it does, or if the 6-month limitation has been waved.
*Confused*
Once your BVA is in effect, you will have full work rights with no restrictions. You are only bound by the WHV restrictions while your WHV is in effect.

Remember, just because you have a BVA grant does not mean it is active. Check VEVO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.