Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm hoping someone can help me as I can't get through to the consulate.

I live in London with Australian husband. We have a son now 3 months and will be applying for him to be an Australian citizen soon.

We have a life decision to make. Move within the UK for the next 5 years and then migrate, or try and migrate now. Only I noted that the visa processing times can take 12-18 months and then you get a date by when you have to enter the country. That could be logistically difficult for us as I'd have to give notice at work and we'd have to sell a house etc.

So I have a few questions to help us make a decision!

1. Do you know if I can enter Australia on a tourist visa and whilst in Australia apply for the partner visa and a bridging visa to allow me to stay pending a decision?

2. Assuming I cannot do the above and we have to stay here, do you know how long roughly it is taking to process these partner applications. We've been married since 2015.

3. Do you know how long they usually give you from granting the partner visa to you having to then move to Australia? Is it weeks, months, years?

Thanks so much - if there are even any better links to where I can find this info as I didn't find the guidance notes terribly helpful!

D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
1: Yes you can, assuming you don't get a no further stay condition on the tourist visa. Remember you must be a genuine tourist, if you tell them you're only coming over to apply for an onshore partner visa you may have issues.

2. The application can be any length of time, expect to wait the timeframe you mentioned and be pleasantly surprised if it's less. If you have a look in the London thread on here (I'll get a link after posting) then you will be able to gauge how long current applicants have been waiting. http://www.australiaforum.com/visas...use-visa-processing-times-london-embassy.html

3. Although you don't have to move you will get an enter by date, this usually coincides with the validity of your medical (valid for 1 year).

I don't understand the 5 years part? Why not apply for an offshore visa and when it's granted then do a holiday trip to Australia to validate the visa and then move when convenient?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hi All

I'm hoping someone can help me as I can't get through to the consulate.

I live in London with Australian husband. We have a son now 3 months and will be applying for him to be an Australian citizen soon.

We have a life decision to make. Move within the UK for the next 5 years and then migrate, or try and migrate now. Only I noted that the visa processing times can take 12-18 months and then you get a date by when you have to enter the country. That could be logistically difficult for us as I'd have to give notice at work and we'd have to sell a house etc.

So I have a few questions to help us make a decision!

1. Do you know if I can enter Australia on a tourist visa and whilst in Australia apply for the partner visa and a bridging visa to allow me to stay pending a decision?

2. Assuming I cannot do the above and we have to stay here, do you know how long roughly it is taking to process these partner applications. We've been married since 2015.

3. Do you know how long they usually give you from granting the partner visa to you having to then move to Australia? Is it weeks, months, years?

Thanks so much - if there are even any better links to where I can find this info as I didn't find the guidance notes terribly helpful!

D
1. Theoretically, yes although this depends on a range of factors such as whether No Further Stay will be imposed on your Visitor Visa (which would mean you won't be able to apply for the partner visa onshore).

2. The current global processing times for 309 visa is 75% of applications processed within 11 months and 90% within 16 months. There is a thread on this forum about applications processed through London, it might give you a better idea.

3. It would depend on when you apply and when they process it as I believe your first entry ties in with the validity of your medical and police checks (which are both valid for 12 months).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi All

D
It was mentioned before but just to make sure it is clear - you will not get a "move by" date but an "enter by" date. This can be any kind of visit and only serves to activate your visa.

Your visa will come with a 5 year travel facility, which in principle means you have 5 years to move to Australia. However, it also means that once the travel facility ends, you would not be able to leave Australia and return without a Resident Return Visa. This is usually not a huge issue but depends to how your ties to Australia are assessed at that time.

In any case, you would have several years before needing to make the actual move but would need to visit Australia by the "enter by" date.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HOoray! I found my post - just wanted to say thank you for your replies!

I couldn't work out how to reply through mobile.

I do not have a no further applications on my tourist visa. Now to work out how I come in as a tourist and then apply without breaking rules!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
HOoray! I found my post - just wanted to say thank you for your replies!

I couldn't work out how to reply through mobile.

I do not have a no further applications on my tourist visa. Now to work out how I come in as a tourist and then apply without breaking rules!
You go to Australia as a genuine visitor, you see the site visit people you both know etc etc.

Once you're here if you were to fall in love with the place and decide to change your visa and stay then it's within your rights to do so.

May be an idea not to travel with things like work cv's or tools of your trade though. Touristy stuff only, have a mate ship the rest over when your settled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.