Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

My wife (aussie) and myself (pom) are just getting the last bits together and filling out the online 47sp and thought about a great bit of evidence to back up our relationship.

We went through IVF last year, which started in August and now my wife is 5 months pregnant.

I know this sounds a bit stupid, but would we be best in putting this down on the application? i.e. stating our intent in our relationship with having a child?

Also we are going to have the child here, would we need to add the child, once born, to the application? or would we just apply through the other citizenship route via descent?

Any help on these would be really appreciated and good luck to everyone else applying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, documentation and statements related to IVF and having a child definitely show commitment to the relationship, and you can talk about this in your statements as well as providing medical docs if you like. If your wife is an Australian citizen, and your baby is born in Australia, it will automatically be an Australian citizen by birth, so you don't need to add the baby to your application as far as I'm aware.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the clarification, it's really appreciated.

The baby will be born in the UK. Mainly because of healthcare here in London and having an amazing children's hospital nearby. Fingers crossed that part isn't needed.

Would we just need to update my application when the baby is born? Or would we just lodge a separate application and claim citizenship for the baby via descent?

·
Registered
6,949 Posts

The baby will be born in the UK. Mainly because of healthcare here in London and having an amazing children's hospital nearby. Fingers crossed that part isn't needed.

Would we just need to update my application when the baby is born? Or would we just lodge a separate application and claim citizenship for the baby via descent?
If one parent is Australian, and the child is born in the UK, the child will normally be Australian. Just need to register it. I can't recall how we did that, so long ago now.
Father British, Mother Australian, child born in UK. Child had two passports very quickly, UK and Australian.
No need to add on to visa application, just arrange a passport.

But if the visa has not been finalised by the birth, upload the birth certificate as extra proof, at the time.

Talking about hospitals, Lewisham Hospital was great for children.

·
Registered
98 Posts

If one parent is Australian, and the child is born in the UK, the child will normally be Australian. Just need to register it. I can't recall how we did that, so long ago now.
Father British, Mother Australian, child born in UK. Child had two passports very quickly, UK and Australian.

But if the visa has not been finalised by the birth, upload the birth certificate as extra proof, at the time.

Child will be born English but you can apply for citizenship by descent. It takes a short time to process and then can apply for a passport. Did the same for my daughter.
Born Kenyan.

Applied for citizenship so we can travel to Aussie without having to pay two visa fees, mine and hers.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Child will be born English but you can apply for citizenship by descent. It takes a short time to process and then can apply for a passport. Did the same for my daughter.
Born Kenyan.

Applied for citizenship so we can travel to Aussie without having to pay two visa fees, mine and hers.
When I said; "If one parent is Australian, and the child is born in the UK, the child will normally be Australian" I meant in addition to being British, if the other parent is British.

Being born in the UK does not automatically give British citizenship.

The child may, or may not, be classed as English (by heritage), but there is no English citizenship status (at the moment).

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts

I think you'll find the child will have to apply for citenship first if born outside Australia to an Australian parent.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I think you'll find the child will have to apply for citenship first if born outside Australia to an Australian parent.
That's a point. It was pretty quick for my daughter, (20 years ago), probably not as fast these days...

How long would it take now?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our son was born to an Australian parent outside of Australia, we applied for his citizenship by descent and was approved within 2 weeks from the date of our application.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Born Kenyan.

When I said; "If one parent is Australian, and the child is born in the UK, the child will normally be Australian" I meant in addition to being British, if the other parent is British.

Being born in the UK does not automatically give British citizenship.

The child may, or may not, be classed as English (by heritage), but there is no English citizenship status (at the moment).
By English, I meant from England. I had no idea that British kids have to apply for citizenship in their country of birth? If there is no citizenship status what are UK born humans refered to? I'm confused.

I was just giving my two cents on what the process was like for my fam as the original post seemed to be asking about the process.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I had no idea that British kids have to apply for citizenship in their country of birth? If there is no citizenship status what are UK born humans refered to? I'm confused.
I think there has been some confusion.

"UK born humans" of UK parents in the UK don't need to apply, it is automatic that they become UK citizens, after applying for birth registration, but some "UK born humans" are considered to be citizens of only their parents country, not necessarily UK citizens.

My original answer, in reply to the Australian Visa question:
My mention of "there is no English citizenship status (at the moment)" was thinking about Brexit and further Scottish devolution possibilities, which could bring about the end of British Citizenship, and possibly having separate English and Scottish citizenships

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.