Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, it's really appreciated.

The baby will be born in the UK. Mainly because of healthcare here in London and having an amazing children's hospital nearby. Fingers crossed that part isn't needed.

Would we just need to update my application when the baby is born? Or would we just lodge a separate application and claim citizenship for the baby via descent?
If one parent is Australian, and the child is born in the UK, the child will normally be Australian. Just need to register it. I can't recall how we did that, so long ago now.
Father British, Mother Australian, child born in UK. Child had two passports very quickly, UK and Australian.
No need to add on to visa application, just arrange a passport.

But if the visa has not been finalised by the birth, upload the birth certificate as extra proof, at the time.

Talking about hospitals, Lewisham Hospital was great for children.
Child will be born English but you can apply for citizenship by descent. It takes a short time to process and then can apply for a passport. Did the same for my daughter.
Born Kenyan.

Applied for citizenship so we can travel to Aussie without having to pay two visa fees, mine and hers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Child will be born English but you can apply for citizenship by descent. It takes a short time to process and then can apply for a passport. Did the same for my daughter.
Born Kenyan.

Applied for citizenship so we can travel to Aussie without having to pay two visa fees, mine and hers.
When I said; "If one parent is Australian, and the child is born in the UK, the child will normally be Australian" I meant in addition to being British, if the other parent is British.

Being born in the UK does not automatically give British citizenship.

The child may, or may not, be classed as English (by heritage), but there is no English citizenship status (at the moment).
By English, I meant from England. I had no idea that British kids have to apply for citizenship in their country of birth? If there is no citizenship status what are UK born humans refered to? I'm confused.

I was just giving my two cents on what the process was like for my fam as the original post seemed to be asking about the process.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.