Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

My wife has lodged her application on 23September 2016 and was granted subclass 309 on 1 January 2017.

We were suppose to make our landing before June 2017 and we did. We spent a month in Sydney and now back at our country of residence (we both work outside Australia)

We were told by our lawyer that according to our grant letter we do not need to live in Australia until a decision was made on our permanent residency and therefore we did travel outside of Australia.

Now we are thinking long terms, we will be eligible to apply for her PR in August and will move to Australia by then. We want to know, after we receive the PR and move there, what will be the next steps for her to apply for her citizenship? It says online that we must live there for a period of 12 months before applying for the citizenship.

We are able to move there now... meaning before obtaining our PR but will it be counted toward her citizenship or is it better to move there after we obtain our PR.

please let us know, as we are very confused. our grant letter stated the following:

"There is no travel restrictions associated with your temporary visa. If you wish to travel outside Australia
pending a decision on your permanent visa application, you must ensure that you advise the Department of
your contact details as failure to respond to requests for information can lead to a refusal of your application
and the ceasing of your current visa"

But when we do a research online it says that we must live there for four years before being able to apply for citizenship... we are very confused..

Can someone explain to me that full processes? from subclass 309 to citizenship..

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
814 Posts

You must meet all of the following:
- have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
- must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.
According to the current law, you have to have resided in Australia for 4 years including at least 1 year as a permanent resident to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

The 309/100 visas have no travel restriction meaning you can come and go as you please (until travel rights expire on the 100), but qualifying for citizenship is separate to that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
need advice

Hi ChK,
I see you guys applied offshore and you and your wife are working offshore. How did you meet the usually in Australia condition.

I am currently stuck in a situation where i have had the PR but haven't lived in Australia for more than a month. Now we need to apply for the 309 while living together in Saudi Arabia(work-->planning to move back)/Pakistan(citizen)

Can you share your application process.:(

Dear all,

My wife has lodged her application on 23September 2016 and was granted subclass 309 on 1 January 2017.

We were suppose to make our landing before June 2017 and we did. We spent a month in Sydney and now back at our country of residence (we both work outside Australia)

We were told by our lawyer that according to our grant letter we do not need to live in Australia until a decision was made on our permanent residency and therefore we did travel outside of Australia.

Now we are thinking long terms, we will be eligible to apply for her PR in August and will move to Australia by then. We want to know, after we receive the PR and move there, what will be the next steps for her to apply for her citizenship? It says online that we must live there for a period of 12 months before applying for the citizenship.

We are able to move there now... meaning before obtaining our PR but will it be counted toward her citizenship or is it better to move there after we obtain our PR.

please let us know, as we are very confused. our grant letter stated the following:

"There is no travel restrictions associated with your temporary visa. If you wish to travel outside Australia
pending a decision on your permanent visa application, you must ensure that you advise the Department of
your contact details as failure to respond to requests for information can lead to a refusal of your application
and the ceasing of your current visa"

But when we do a research online it says that we must live there for four years before being able to apply for citizenship... we are very confused..

Can someone explain to me that full processes? from subclass 309 to citizenship..

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hi ChK,
I see you guys applied offshore and you and your wife are working offshore. How did you meet the usually in Australia condition.

I am currently stuck in a situation where i have had the PR but haven't lived in Australia for more than a month. Now we need to apply for the 309 while living together in Saudi Arabia(work-->planning to move back)/Pakistan(citizen)

Can you share your application process.:(
May I respectfully suggest you start your own post? This is the second thread that is going off the original topic with a similar question by yourself and a similar situation.

It gets very hard to answer specific questions within a thread with multiple posters with similar but different circumstances. It can lead to cross information or misunderstanding and nobody wants that..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.