Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again

I have asked similar questions but this is slightly different:

1. I was wondering - if my partner and i went to New Zealand - he got a tourist visa there...can we get married over there?

He could get a tourist visa there and get married. Then we could lodge an application for a partner visa there, in the embassy.

We haven't lived together however - but we have been together for a few months physically and then in contact for the last 7 months constantly whilst he has been overseas. He has been trying to come back this whole time.

2. Once we lodge, then the waiting period...what do we do? Should he go and wait somewhere else outside the country to see what happens?

Or can he get a tourist visa to enter Australia and wait here with me?

Can someone answer these questions for me?

I would be so thankful.
thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Hi there,

If you get married in New Zealand, I'm sure there would be a requirement for you to give notice to a registry office in advance before your intended marriage date. In Oz for example it's at least one month prior. So, you can absolutely get married in any foreign country you like as long as you follow the local requirements.

But, if you plan to get married in NZ, why not do it in Oz instead? As long as your partner got an e-visa, which doesn't usually have a no further stay condition on it, you could lodge an onshore partner applicaton after the marriage. This would save a lot of hassle. If you got married and lodged an offshore application in NZ, your partner would have to be out of Oz. in order to get it, so even if your partner came to see in Oz after lodgement in NZ, they would have to go back to NZ to receive the visa.

You could also apply for a prospective marriage visa now. This visa doesn't require the 12 month loving together that a de-facto visa does, so would be a viable choice in your case, not having spent much physical time together. As part of this applicatio, you have to show you are both free to marry, and you also need a confirmation from a registry office or the like in Oz of a marriage date.

There are various paths that can be taken when applying for a partner visa, you just have to decide which one works best for you and is as hassle free as possible considering your circumstances.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My question is my fiance is on PR and i have a 456 short stay business visa with no further stay ....going for AMC australian medical council exam .
we are planning to get marry just after my exam in Australia .
My visa is of just 3 months can it be change to another visa after i get marry to an Australian PR holder girl or do i have to come back to my country and have to apply for another visa .If it can be changed in Australia what type visa i will get can i work on that visa .
Can we get marry while i will be in australia with a no further stay option i have read that you had told one should let the immigration dept know one month before getting married i wonder if we go and tell them that we want to get marry how come they will allow us to get marry although she has a PR yet i only have short stay visa with no further stay .
Please help me in this regard.
Regards
Doctor1

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He can't get an e-tourist visa cause he is not from Europe basically.

So that's why we were thinking of New Zealand. Its only certain countries.
The fiancee visa how long does that take to process i have heard like 7 months or more.

Thanks aussie girl.

Hi there,

If you get married in New Zealand, I'm sure there would be a requirement for you to give notice to a registry office in advance before your intended marriage date. In Oz for example it's at least one month prior. So, you can absolutely get married in any foreign country you like as long as you follow the local requirements.

But, if you plan to get married in NZ, why not do it in Oz instead? As long as your partner got an e-visa, which doesn't usually have a no further stay condition on it, you could lodge an onshore partner applicaton after the marriage. This would save a lot of hassle. If you got married and lodged an offshore application in NZ, your partner would have to be out of Oz. in order to get it, so even if your partner came to see in Oz after lodgement in NZ, they would have to go back to NZ to receive the visa.

You could also apply for a prospective marriage visa now. This visa doesn't require the 12 month loving together that a de-facto visa does, so would be a viable choice in your case, not having spent much physical time together. As part of this applicatio, you have to show you are both free to marry, and you also need a confirmation from a registry office or the like in Oz of a marriage date.

There are various paths that can be taken when applying for a partner visa, you just have to decide which one works best for you and is as hassle free as possible considering your circumstances.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi doctor1

I can't really help, cause I do not know. But I know if you have no further stay on your visa you are not usually able to apply for a partner visa.

That is our issue as well. I think this is all I can say cause I do not know much else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thx for ur reply.......

Thanks for your reply i want to ask even we can not get marry there or can go to FIJI and get marry and apply from there or as a last resort have to come back to our country and get marry and apply from there .what do u think
you told me that u had the same issue on ur visa that no further stay what way adopted than can u plz guide me
Thanks

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Here's the NZ site for marriage
The Department of Internal Affairs: Births Deaths and Marriages - How to Get a Marriage Licence
And from what the site that directed to that says
New Zealand Marriage Requirements
Only takes three days to get the licence.

Doc. You're asking basically the same thing on different threads and the answers are on the thread you started.

The months notice in Australia to get married is not to Immigration and nothing to do with them.
It is a notice you give to a celebrant or a minister in respect to getting a marriage licence.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah it looks pretty easy to get married in New Zealand. But maybe we will apply for the PMV. I am not sure.

It's so up in the air, about what we should do. We just want to be in the same country. Now we are just praying he is approved and then we can plan the other stuff.

If he got denied a student visa do you think that would jeopardise a PMV application?

I have asked on the other thread so - if you have answered on the other thread that's fine.

thanks so much.
:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am sorry that i am repeating my questions.I am from a high risk country it would be hard to get a visa of NZ in short time by than my OZI 456 visa will expires .
I guess visa for FIJI will be easy will it work.Again i am sorry for the repetition so its clear that i cant marry in australia while i have a 456 visa with no further stay option ??? for the last time i am asking this sorry guys

Hope to hear from you guys

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
yeah it looks pretty easy to get married in New Zealand. But maybe we will apply for the PMV. I am not sure.

It's so up in the air, about what we should do. We just want to be in the same country. Now we are just praying he is approved and then we can plan the other stuff.

If he got denied a student visa do you think that would jeopardise a PMV application?

I have asked on the other thread so - if you have answered on the other thread that's fine.

thanks so much.
:)
From what I can gather, PMVs may take longer to be processed than a partner visa for whatever reason, just possibly an Immi/CO approach that OK, you're committed to oneanother by marriage and it appears to be no sham if you have evidence of the prior relationship.

It'll not really matter whether you get married on Oz or not as far as a partner visa goes, just the longer time you need re getting the licence and then at least you've got family here if that's a bonus for you and at least you can check out some celebrants easier and even choose a little chapel or whatever with a minister if desired.

Also, if he comes in on the surfing student visa, that may not have a No Further Stay condition on it and therefore with marriage you'll be able to apply for the partner visa here.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I am sorry that i am repeating my questions.I am from a high risk country it would be hard to get a visa of NZ in short time by than my OZI 456 visa will expires .
I guess visa for FIJI will be easy will it work.Again i am sorry for the repetition so its clear that i cant marry in australia while i have a 456 visa with no further stay option ??? for the last time i am asking this sorry guys

Hope to hear from you guys
If you cannot get a NZ visa in time, then Fiji or even Bali or Singapore, New Guinea or Noumea are all options though NG could be a bit scary at times and you'll need to also check where you can put in applications.

If you are not here yet have you checked that it'll take more than three months to get a tourist visa for NZ?

Also, here in Australia cant [ can't ] is an abbreviation for cannot

I'll say again for you

You can get married in Australia while on your 456 if you seek a licence to do it.

Now, how about you be a good fella and stick with your own thread.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello again

My partner got denied his student visa. And it was because they didn't check his working history...he said he worked as an urban planner for certain years and he was working remotely from Australia to Brazil. They didn't check these details and it seems they were looking for a way to reject his visa. They rang his work but didn't ask how he was working this time.

He is going to try and fix this up, cause he has done nothing wrong. I guess this is the best idea. Cause if we apply for a partner visa in the future, it would be bad if this was on it...?

Can anyone advise?

This is so bad, cause we want to be together. Can anyone advise how to do this? This is a genuine relationship, and it seems so terrible that because the government wants to crack down on people just trying to get into the country, the genuine people suffer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.