Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Partner visa 309/100 offshore Pretoria office - few questions

hi guys,

I have been on here for a while lurking and trying to get as much information as possible.

we arew going to apply for a partner visa 309/100 at the end of this month. right now we are just gathering information and documents. We are going to hand in a complete application (medicals and police checks done).

Should my partner complete form 80? he is from a high risk country in southern Africa. Is it standard for this check to be done or is it per request more for high risk countries with possible security issues. From what I've gathered what's taking applications so much longer to be processed now is in part because of the form 80 (asio)..

Also with form 888 do the 2 people who make the declaration have to be Australian CITIZENS OR permanent residence? Can it be a non Australian? So my partners relative (not Australian) and one from me?

We have been together 7 years, married for 2 years and have 3 kids together. We have lived together for 3 and 6 month blocks but have no bills with both our names on them. We are both from the same country but I am an Australian citizen.

Any advice will be great while we are still gathering documents. Also would love to hear from folks who will be applying this year too.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
You cannot swear your own form 888.

If you undertake medical examinations and/or apply for police clearances at this stage, be prepared to repeat the processes.

You might want to take advice about the following:

Are your children Australian citizens, or are they eligible to apply?

·
Registered
195 Posts
As said above, very unwise to do medicals so soon given you're coming from a high risk country and it's likely to be more than 12 months before they process it, but medicals are only valid for 12 months. Don't waste your money, and wait 6 months before doing them.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
South Africa is actually one of the fastest embassies processing visas - I have seen a couple granted in only a couple of months.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You cannot swear your own form 888.

If you undertake medical examinations and/or apply for police clearances at this stage, be prepared to repeat the processes.

You might want to take advice about the following:

Are your children Australian citizens, or are they eligible to apply?
sorry I should have been more clear, I meant can one relative or someone we know from my husbands side do the form 888 even if they are not an Australian citizen and can someone from my side of the family/friends do one?

Our kids are all Australian citizens they were born here and have australian Birth certificates and passports. Both our names are on the Birth certificates.

I know the medicals and police checks could run the risk of expiring but if the process does go over 12 months and they dont extend the clearances then me and my husband have agreed we will do them again. We would just rather have a complete application as possible on the off chance they do process it and finalise before 12 months.

thanks for replying :)

As said above, very unwise to do medicals so soon given you're coming from a high risk country and it's likely to be more than 12 months before they process it, but medicals are only valid for 12 months. Don't waste your money, and wait 6 months before doing them.
I know the medicals and police checks could run the risk of expiring but if the process does go over 12 months and they dont extend the clearances then me and my husband have agreed we will do them again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
South Africa is actually one of the fastest embassies processing visas - I have seen a couple granted in only a couple of months.
Ive heard they are quite fast but you can never know. I know some who have had it granted in 3 months and others 24 months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since you live outside Australia those completing the 888 do not need to be aus citizens, as long as you get them certified by someone with s profession from the list given (person witnessing doesn't need to be aus citizen either since you are permanently outside aus)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thought i would update for anyone else waiting for partner visa from Pretoria! Visa was granted almost 1 year to the day since we applied. We went straight to permanentresidency. Medicals and police check had expired but they only requested a new PC and granted within 2 days after supplied new PC!

Oh and didnt have to complete form 80

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Treme! I guess you've applied through Pretoria right? Has your visa been granted already? If so, can you please advise when and some more info on when you applied, when CO was assigned and when you submitted medicals. Thx
Sorry only saw this after I replied. Yes was granted at almost exactly 12 months. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sorry only saw this after I replied. Yes was granted at almost exactly 12 months. :)
Hey Treme! Congrats on the grant and even better news you got the PR directly ;-) Many thanks for updating us on your application which was processed through Pretoria. It's good to hear a grant from Pretoria as I haven't heard any since I applied 6 months back. So it looks like they are following the standard processing time of 12-17 months.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Treme! Congrats on the grant and even better news you got the PR directly ;-) Many thanks for updating us on your application which was processed through Pretoria. It's good to hear a grant from Pretoria as I haven't heard any since I applied 6 months back. So it looks like they are following the standard processing time of 12-17 months.
Thanks! :) we didnt have any contact from anyone until we emailed them. It wasnt the way i thought it would happen. I thought they would assign a case officer and let us know and ask for updates but no, nothing.

They are taking the standard 12 months. The fact that they took almost 12 months to the day I actually think they sat on our application for a while after they had made a decision and granted at exactly 12 months to not mess up their Statistics by granting too early. Just my thoughts.

Hope you get your grant soon!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks! :) we didnt have any contact from anyone until we emailed them. It wasnt the way i thought it would happen. I thought they would assign a case officer and let us know and ask for updates but no, nothing.

They are taking the standard 12 months. The fact that they took almost 12 months to the day I actually think they sat on our application for a while after they had made a decision and granted at exactly 12 months to not mess up their Statistics by granting too early. Just my thoughts.

Hope you get your grant soon!
Yea, that's what I think too. I also saw someone else as well who only heard from her CO only after contacting them.

Thanks dear ;-)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, that's what I think too. I also saw someone else as well who only heard from her CO only after contacting them.

Thanks dear ;-)
You're welcome :) hope you get some good news or at least an update soon. Keep us posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.