Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have trolled this forum for many months while gathering evidence and building my application for the 801/820 visa. I would like to thank everyone for their wealth of information and experiences.

I am currently facing a dilemma with my Visa and I am nervous that it may affect on my current job and ability to stay in Australia. I am a United States citizen and I am filing my de facto visa as we speak. I have gathered all evidence to justify the relationship, health check and other documentation except I am missing one item now. Being a US citizen I have to supply a criminal record from the last state I lived in for at least 12 months but I am in a bit of a situation with this. I sent my prints off a few weeks ago and I was told yesterday that they did not process this due to issues with the fee being paid. Since correct amount was not enclosed they shipped the fingerprints and all other documents back to me without letting me know. I now have 5 weeks left on my current visa and I am curious as to how this will affect my de facto visa application if I do not have this back in time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You don't have to supply that straight away with your application. It is only valid for 12 months so most CO will ask for police checks once processing has begun. You can still lodge your visa application and supply the police check once you get it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright now I can breathe a little. I've spent my time gathering everything and I was worried that not having this one document would bar me from obtaining the bridging visa.

So I take it that I fill the first form out and then pay the fee?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes you fill out the application and pay the fee, then the sponsor fill in their application and you start uploading all the evidence. You have at least a few months before they start looking at it even so upload as much as you can and if one or two documents are missing don't stress. If anything is missing once a CO looks at the app, then you'll have 28 days to respond.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
When will the bridging visa go into effect?
I believe the bridging visa comes into effect once your current visa ceases, providing you have lodged your application.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright that sounds much better. Do they ask for all of the evidence and everything once you pay?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
1. It's a state police check from any state lived in for 3 months out of the last 12 months.

2. You have no idea when someone will look at your application. We have seen applications looked at within days of applying while some wait months. You should have all of your supporting evidence of your relationship submitted as soon as reasonably possible (so within a few days).

3. There is no requirement for a CO to request missing documents. It is up to you to be a responsible adult and read what is required of you. If you forget something and they request it from you, consider that a courtesy and you're fortunate they didn't make a decision without asking as they technically should have.

4. The only exception to this is police checks and medicals. Those items are actually recommended by immigration to not be supplied until they are requested as they are only valid for 12 months and visas, especially onshore, can take longer than 12 months to process on average.

So if you have everything at time of applicatipn except for police checks and medical, then your app is fine.

You should also familiarize yourself with the 820/801 website before you apply. Things like when the BVA is granted and when it goes into effect are all clearly listed on the DHA website. The BVA is granted immediately and goes into effect when your current stay period ends.

And yes, you need to complete the online application and then submit it and pay. After that you'll have access to the upload section for your evidence and the sponsor will also be able to complete the online sponsorship form in immi.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Also, I'm assuming you are also aware you need an FBI clearance as well as state clearance? And not all states require fingerprints for background checks. Mine offered a fingerprint option and a non fingerprint option, the latter being less expensive and easier to do. It was a name check with the option to provide my SSN to avoid mixing names up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.