Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
10,516 Posts
I have been in a relationship with my partner for 7 years and I have been here in Australia to visit him 5 times and the months we have lived with each other are almost 12 months. The only doubt we have is the 12 months required for the defacto relationship. I come from Africa, can we register our relationship or is it like marriage?
The 12 months is meant to be continuous or the separation is limited. So if you come for 3 months and then apart for 3 months that would not be limited.

Where in Africa are you from? And are you looking at applying onshore or offshore?

Registering the relationship depends on which state you are from. Some do not allow it. All it does is waive the 12 month requirement you still need the evidence to back it up.

· Premium Member
10,516 Posts
I am in Melbourne Australia and I come from Zambia. We met in Zambia and were together for two years before he came to australia. I was studying at the time hence the separation. just counted the months we have lived together in one house, they are over 12 months with long periods of separation and only 10 months with limited. I am anxious, the application is pretty much ready, except for the 12 months that I am worried about.
Victoria is very strict on the 12 months to register the relationship. We saw someone a couple of months ago get knocked back when they were at 11/11.5 months.

DIBP are also known to reject people who have not registered the relationship and are shy of the 12 months by a few days.

· Premium Member
10,516 Posts
Would be the one under relationships and register.

But remember if you don not have evidence that you have lived in Victoria for 12 months they will not register it.

· Premium Member
10,516 Posts
Yes they have rules for a reason. The 12 months is there to stop people that are "dating" and not de facto use it as loop hole. If you wait a couple more months you will not need it because you meet DIBP's criteria of living together for 12 months.

We are still going with immigration so will see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.