Australia Forum banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Árese, Do not get me started on issues we’ve had with the migration agent because I will probably crash this site. They've been a nightmare, and I paid them over 4K for peace of mind because I work full time. They take 1-3 months to complete paperwork and in the end we literally got asked to provide evidence for everything again after a year. At one point I tried contacting relevant authorities to see if I could get my money back. They felt bad and made some suggestions but told me to tread lightly because its not my best interest to get on a migration agents bad side. Absolutely powerless :)
Thanks for sharing your experience and sorry that it wasn't a great one.
I'm not surprised at all. Migration agents are spread thin over hundred of clients and simply don't have time to do a good job. If you have time, you will do a much better job than them.

I was sponsored by a company a couple of years ago and the company had a migration lawyer who handled my case. She was absolutely incompetent, she would send a draft filled with typos and the content wasn't that great like it wasn't going deep enough at answering the questions. So I would make my own suggestions to elevate our argument (basically had to prove why they needed me VS an Australian employee). You could just tell it was low-effort answers, so I'd have to pretty much rewrite them all, and then she would be oh yeah that's great!

At the end, it was clearly more my application and my work than hers. Pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten my work visa with what she had provided.

So when it came to my partner visa, I didn't hesitate much and knew I would do a much better job than any migration agent who works for a dozen of other people. I front loaded my application, went super into details, organised chronologically so it's easy to read and understand anyone that reads the document and yeah it was approved in 4 months without any request for further information. (Well I got lucky it was during COVID when they had less applications).

Well, hopefully you get your visa soon so that you don't have to deal with your migration no more 😅

·
Registered
20 Posts
More parent and skilled visas on the way: Here are the changes to immigration in the federal budget
An extra $576 million over four years will be provided to the Department of Home Affairs in the 2022 federal budget and more skilled visas will be made available.

The big winner of this budget are parents as it will almost double the number of parent visas. Skilled visas too.

For partner visas though, it will still be on a demand-driven basis so that means no cap but I think the big news for us is that they are reversing the cuts made to the Home Affairs by the Morison government (they cut $875 million over 4 years from 2014) as they announced an extra $576 million over four years will be provided to the Department of Home Affairs towards visa processing.

It's still missing $300 million but I'll take that. It will be interesting to see in the upcoming months if processing times progressively reduce

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
The big winner of this budget are parents as it will almost double the number of parent visas.
The second 2022-23 Australian Budget, released by the Labor party on 25 October 2022, shows that the number of available parent visas will increase by another 2,000 extra places, from the 6,000 in the first 2022/23 budget, up to 8,500 places.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's been 36 months since I lodged my partner visa and no grant. I am nervous. First RFI was on February. We have responded and nothing heard again. Can I call the home affairs or I should keep waiting?

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's been 36 months since I lodged my partner visa and no grant. I am nervous. First RFI was on February. We have responded and nothing heard again. Can I call the home affairs or I should keep waiting?
Well if you have received an RFI it's safe to assume that your application didn't reach the required standard and you haven't provided enough evidence of your relationship when you first applied.
Based on the above, my assumption is that when you responded to the RFI, you again didn't provide enough evidence.

Sometimes it's also not about the evidence, but how you present/convey your information in a certain way so it's easy to understand for the agent assessing your case.

For example, one of my acquaintances just dumped their whatsapp history in a file as evidence of their relationship. 90% of those whatsapp conversations were conversations that friends could have had and didn't prove anything.
Only a few conversations clearly characterized the relationship and that's what you have to select and highlight in your documents. Do you think agents will bother to go through thousands of lines of text?

Spoiler alert they still didn't get their visa.

The other aspect is that you said it's been 36 months, which means that your application was with the department of Home Affairs during the COVID, where processing times dramatically dropped to around 3-6 months in the middle of the crisis.

I applied during COVID and got mine in 4 months, I helped a friend to prepare his application (he used my format/documents) and he got his 820 in 3,5 months.

My guess is that because your supporting documents are not strong enough, it's been put at the back of the queue as it will require "more work" to assess your situation.

Personally what I would do in your situation, is assume that all the evidence I've submitted isn't going to cut it as evidenced by the waiting period + RFI, and rework everything and resubmit everything. Also submit a document explaining why you are re-submitting all of your documents.

Or you just can wait which is what you've been doing it seems like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well if you have received an RFI it's safe to assume that your application didn't reach the required standard and you haven't provided enough evidence of your relationship when you first applied.
Based on the above, my assumption is that when you responded to the RFI, you again didn't provide enough evidence.

Sometimes it's also not about the evidence, but how you present/convey your information in a certain way so it's easy to understand for the agent assessing your case.

For example, one of my acquaintances just dumped their whatsapp history in a file as evidence of their relationship. 90% of those whatsapp conversations were conversations that friends could have had and didn't prove anything.
Only a few conversations clearly characterized the relationship and that's what you have to select and highlight in your documents. Do you think agents will bother to go through thousands of lines of text?

Spoiler alert they still didn't get their visa.

The other aspect is that you said it's been 36 months, which means that your application was with the department of Home Affairs during the COVID, where processing times dramatically dropped to around 3-6 months in the middle of the crisis.

I applied during COVID and got mine in 4 months, I helped a friend to prepare his application (he used my format/documents) and he got his 820 in 3,5 months.

My guess is that because your supporting documents are not strong enough, it's been put at the back of the queue as it will require "more work" to assess your situation.

Personally what I would do in your situation, is assume that all the evidence I've submitted isn't going to cut it as evidenced by the waiting period + RFI, and rework everything and resubmit everything. Also submit a document explaining why you are re-submitting all of your documents.

Or you just can wait which is what you've been doing it seems like.
Well noted. Thank you for letting me know I will contact my immigration Lawyer and discuss about that with him. I have the email of the processing office. Can I email them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What was Ur timeline 🙏
My current timeline is:
23/12/2017 - Relationship started
17/04/2018 - Moved in together
05/07/2019 - Submitted 820 application online
22/12/2020 - RFI asking for AFP police check
27/01/2021 - 820 granted (18 months processing time)
06/06/2021 - Applied for 801 (1 month before eligibility)
October 2022 - Still waiting for 801 (waiting 15 months)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, finding this thread has been a major help for me to gauge the timeline for my application. Thank you first of all!

I lodged my 820 application (frontloaded) on 28 Oct 2022 as defacto partners on the basis that we have been living together for more than a year.

My questions:
1. Since I applied as de facto, is it ok to mention that we intend to get engaged (2023) and married in the future (no mention of year), will this be grounds for rejection? Because I know the marriage requirement is slightly different.
2. I'm on the 485 temporary visa still (Bridging A is not active until next Sep 2023). I have notified them that I will be traveling then in the 'change of circumstance' form page. Is this the right place to notify your travel plan? I can't seem to find anywhere, where to do this.

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my questions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I keep coming back to this forum hoping there is an update.
Anyone got processed 801 recenlty?
It is been 7 months for me since submission and apart from a General Purpose Advice letter in August (a reminder, if I did not apply yet, I should...) nothing happened.
Any experience of progress lately?
Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I keep coming back to this forum hoping there is an update.
Anyone got processed 801 recenlty?
It is been 7 months for me since submission and apart from a General Purpose Advice letter in August (a reminder, if I did not apply yet, I should...) nothing happened.
Any experience of progress lately?
Thank you for sharing.
Coming up on 7 months for me too, no updates or progress since I applied.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts