Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have been applying for a PMV 300 since 2nd July 2018 for my fiancee who was in Thailand back then but has been with me since 1st August on a visitor visa until 30 April 2019.
The PMV 300 is incomplete due to difficulties obtaining a police check for her 16 year old son. Now I am planning a trip to get this finished.
My fiancee is also due to have my baby in August :)
I am not sure we would get more approval for a visitor visa as we have told DHA she is pregnant.

However I spoke at length to a very helpful agent from DHA yesterday.
He suggested that as we now have an established relationship we could apply for a PV 820 rather than a PMV 300.
I think this means another $7160 application fee :(
But potentially this could be granted in time for the baby to be delivered in Australia.
Of course the pregnancy puts an additional deadline on this as travel after May will be difficult.

Should we just continue with the PMV 300 or switch to a PV 820?
Would a migration agent be able to give genuine advice as to the likely outcome and timeline?
or is it like so many processes in the immigration minefield - dependent on the CO's discretion?

Must be an important question as this is post 100 for me!! :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Would a migration agent be able to give genuine advice as to the likely outcome and timeline?
or is it like so many processes in the immigration minefield - dependent on the CO's discretion?

A Registered Migration Agent can give you genuine advice and is qualified to do so. Case officers are required to apply the law in coming to a decision. An RMA will help ensure your application addresses all the essential issues for the case officer.

I would suggest a consult with an RMA with all the facts of your situation; there are some complex decisions here.

Reactions: wrussell

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Paul. My questions were obviously leading this way.
RMA sounds like the plan.

Will all the same documents be required for a PV 820 as for a PMV 300?
My biggest question is I need to book tickets to Bangkok ASAP if the Police Check will still be required for the son due to the problems managing this process from Australia.
I cannot see why they would not be but just wanted to confirm you would expect they would as they have made such a fuss about it?

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
If they want the Thai police check for the 300, they will doubtless want it for an 820. Generally, you will need greater relationship evidence for an 820.

·
Registered
144 Posts
We have been applying for a PMV 300 since 2nd July 2018 for my fiancee who was in Thailand back then but has been with me since 1st August on a visitor visa until 30 April 2019.
The PMV 300 is incomplete due to difficulties obtaining a police check for her 16 year old son. Now I am planning a trip to get this finished.
My fiancee is also due to have my baby in August :)
I am not sure we would get more approval for a visitor visa as we have told DHA she is pregnant.

He suggested that as we now have an established relationship we could apply for a PV 820 rather than a PMV 300.
I think this means another $7160 application fee :(
But potentially this could be granted in time for the baby to be delivered in Australia.
Of course the pregnancy puts an additional deadline on this as travel after May will be difficult.

I really think you need to consult an RMA and not use this forum for complicated scenarios like this... they can't give you outcome and timeline but they can give you advise how to approach to make your application successful...
DHA agents giving advise is like someone from the forums giving advise, take it with a grain of salt... I don't think the 820 will be granted in time as it generally takes more time... visa grants are luck of the draws..
I've read somewhere that there's a chance a sub300 can be transferred to an 820... but again, consult the RMA...

·
Registered
824 Posts
My fiancee is also due to have my baby in August

I think this means another $7160 application fee

Must be an important question as this is post 100 for me!!
I've read somewhere that there's a chance a sub300 can be transferred to an 820... but again, consult the RMA...
You've read wrong. A offshore application cannot be changed to a onshore. And in this case they would have to meet the criteria of a 820 not a 300 and that's a massive difference.
And to say a 820 will be granted in a couple of months is rubbish, while there is a chance is not very likely.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You've read wrong. A offshore application cannot be changed to a onshore. And in this case they would have to meet the criteria of a 820 not a 300 and that's a massive difference.
And to say a 820 will be granted in a couple of months is rubbish, while there is a chance is not very likely.
I stand corrected... is it one of the other offshore partner visa im thinking of?

·
Premium Member
6,620 Posts
I stand corrected... is it one of the other offshore partner visa im thinking of?
A sc. 300 visa applicant who gets married before grant of the visa will be considered against a sc. 309/100 instead for no extra cost.

I can't see any adavantage in doing that other than that you would save yourself the cost and hassle of the subsequent sc. 820/801 application ( $1195). If you don't meet the requirements for a sc. 300 visa, it is unlikely you will meet the requirements of a sc. 309/100 visa.

I wouldn't take advice from Department staff, as they are not qualified to provide migration advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.