Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Partner Visa 820 (still a student)

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  JandE 
#1 ·
Hi, I am a filipina, 20 years old and currently studying in the Philippines. I have an australian citizen boyfriend for 7 months now and we are going to meet for the first time on May 2018 and stay for 2 weeks in Australia. I am planning to come back on December and we are planning to get married with me having a tourist visa. After getting married I will apply for a bridging visa A for my Partner visa 820. Do you think it is possible? I’m not sure because one of the requirements is being in a de facto relationship for 12 months. Since I am still a student and dont have work I am worrying about the joint accounts which will be part of the requirements and other requirements needed since we haven’t lived together that much.

i’m actually not cosidering PMV 300 as much as possible since I have to be offshore when I’m going to apply for it. And my boyfriend, unfortunately is not into waiting for that much long. So we are really looking for a quickiest way possible of living with him.

thank you and hoping for a reply!

#2 ·
Hi, I am a filipina, 20 years old and currently studying in the Philippines. I have an australian citizen boyfriend for 7 months now and we are going to meet for the first time on May 2018 and stay for 2 weeks in Australia. I am planning to come back on December and we are planning to get married with me having a tourist visa. After getting married I will apply for a bridging visa A for my Partner visa 820. Do you think it is possible? I'm not sure because one of the requirements is being in a de facto relationship for 12 months. Since I am still a student and dont have work I am worrying about the joint accounts which will be part of the requirements and other requirements needed since we haven't lived together that much.

i'm actually not cosidering PMV 300 as much as possible since I have to be offshore when I'm going to apply for it. And my boyfriend, unfortunately is not into waiting for that much long. So we are really looking for a quickiest way possible of living with him.

Often the quickest way is the most complicated. It's best to go through the proper channels and do this properly. If you're unsure of your situation or which visa you are eligible for, you and your partner may want to consider speaking with an RMA.

#3 ·
Just FYI, getting married and not having the requires relationship evidence for an 820/801 will result in a refusal. It is a very common misconception that Australia will grant partner visas just because people are married. If anything, your case will be looked at with more scrutiny because marrying without having hardly seen each other in person could look like you married for the visa.

If you don't meet the evidence requirements, there's no point in applying for the visa. The 300 does not require combined lives as much as the de facto/spouse visa and is often the better option for success for many couples.

My partner and I had been in a long distance relationship and had been seeing each other for two weeks at a time every three months, and we still wouldn't have met the evidence requirements for a de facto visa and we didn't want to marry without having been able to live together for a time. In our case, we were eligible for the 300 so we took that route and were successful.

Every case is different. If you really want to go the 820/801 route, you'd be best to consult an Australian based Registered Migration Agent (they will communicate via email, phone, and/or Skype) to see if your relationship evidence even has a chance at being successful before you donate $7000 to the Aussie gov't and end up with no visa.

#4 ·
From the other thread:
thank you for replying. and yeah I posted this as a new thread.

i'm actually not cosidering PMV as much as possible since I have to be offshore when I'm going to apply for it. And my boyfriend, unfortunately is not into waiting for that long. So we are really looking for a quickiest way possible of living with him.

I'm thinking about we're going to start on May as a de facto and probably meet at other country or he comes here in the Philippines so that will add up for the evidence. And by the time of December I can apply as a tourist then get married for a Partner Visa. Am I little ambitious here? lol thanks for the help!
There are a few possible problems.

You may not be able to apply for an 820 (onshore Partner Visa), from a Visitor Visa. Every visitor visa from the Philippines that we received, (before our PMV application), had the "No Further Stay" condition. That meant leaving Australia before applying for a new visa.
It was not possible for us to do an 820 application while on a visitor visa.

Getting married may not be sufficient evidence of a 1 year committed relationship.
We had lived together for 9 months, in the Philippines, before we applied, and we were advised to use the PMV route, due to the possibility of a 309 (offshore partner visa) refusal. Some say it would have been OK, others not. I chose the safe route rather than risk losing thousands.

You are talking about applying for a visitor visa in December, where you will need to prove genuine visitor reasons, with definite intention to return home. To do that you may need to hide your relationship. If you do that, then you cannot use that proof for a partner visa. If you show the relationship, they have a reason to add the "No Further Stay" condition.

If you apply for a PMV in May or June, (as we did), you may get the Grant by the next March/April. And in the meantime, come over on a Visitor visa during the wait, or part of the wait.

After getting married I will apply for a bridging visa A for my Partner visa 820
You actually apply for an 820 visa, you don't apply for a bridging visa.
They give a bridging visa automatically for when your Visitor visa expires, to bridge the period between the visitor visa expiring, and the 820 grant.

#5 ·
Hi, I am a filipina, 20 years old and currently studying in the Philippines. I have an australian citizen boyfriend for 7 months now and we are going to meet for the first time on May 2018 and stay for 2 weeks in Australia. I am planning to come back on December and we are planning to get married with me having a tourist visa. After getting married I will apply for a bridging visa A for my Partner visa 820. Do you think it is possible? I'm not sure because one of the requirements is being in a de facto relationship for 12 months. Since I am still a student and dont have work I am worrying about the joint accounts which will be part of the requirements and other requirements needed since we haven't lived together that much.

i'm actually not cosidering PMV 300 as much as possible since I have to be offshore when I'm going to apply for it. And my boyfriend, unfortunately is not into waiting for that much long. So we are really looking for a quickiest way possible of living with him.

You may find it is not that simple. There really is no quick way to do it.

#7 ·
I have found that getting non sponsored visitor visas from the Philippines is actually not too hard, but would never recommend trying the family sponsored route from there.

I've never had a refusal for non sponsored visitor visas from the Philippines.

I was involved in one family sponsored visa from the Philippines, quite some years ago, and that was the only refusal I have known personally.

The Philippines is odd at times.
  • The family sponsored visa had over $10,000 in her bank, a University course to go back to, etc. But it was refused.
  • Non sponsored visitor visas, with no job, no bank account, no study, no real family ties and they get granted..
I will never understand why...

#8 ·
Never had a problem with the family sponsored Visa from the Philippines.
Over the last 30 years I suppose we have sponsored may be a dozen or more of my wife's brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews on visitors visas.Only had to pay a security deposit only once back in the late 1990s, and that was for my brother in law, his wife and daughter. Cost then $10,000 for each adult and $5000 for the child.
We have however had a number of applications from young female cousins of my wife rejected, on the grounds that they couldn't demonstrate a compelling reason to return to the Philippines at the end of their stay.
But as I always say the only consistent thing about the Embassy in Manila is that it is inconsistent!!

#9 ·
But as I always say the only consistent thing about the Embassy in Manila is that it is inconsistent!!
That's true.

One visitor application that I did, caused me to expect a refusal, once I realised I had submitted documents, for a paper application, that were not certified. Not one of them was certified.

But we got a grant letter, instead of the expected refusal or a request for correct documents...

#10 ·
Thanks for the reply!

This is exactly what I thought, thanks for popping my bubble. I will talk about this to my partner.

As what you said about applying for a visitor visa while the PMV is on process, I will definitely state that on my visitor visa application right? Won’t it affect the process of my PMV?

#11 ·
Thanks for the reply!

This is exactly what I thought, thanks for popping my bubble. I will talk about this to my partner.

As what you said about applying for a visitor visa while the PMV is on process, I will definitely state that on my visitor visa application right? Won't it affect the process of my PMV?
We used words something like. We want the visitor visa while waiting for the PMV so that we can plan the wedding jointly, while together, and have plenty of time in organising things.
We applied for the visitor visa after doing Medical and police checks.

It seemed to work for us, and we got a 12 month visitor visa without needing to leave every 3 months.

However, some people don't get that, I know that some other countries are much stricter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.