Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Me and my partner are about to apply for a Partner Visa 820. He previously sponsored someone else on a 457 visa (he included his girlfriend in his sponsorship). That relationship finished a few years ago, but does this mean that he can not sponsor me on a 820 visa because he sponsored someone else on a 457 visa?

Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its different, he was not an Australian PR or Citizen in the 457 application.

This will be counted as his first sponsorship for a Partner visa.
I don´t understand. If it´s counted as his first sponsorship for a partner visa, it means that he can not sponsor me on visa 820, because he can´t sponsor me if he has already sponsored someone else before. I wonder if including a partner on a visa 457 counts as ¨sponsoring a partner¨.

Thankkkss

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Hi!

Me and my partner are about to apply for a Partner Visa 820. He previously sponsored someone else on a 457 visa (he included his girlfriend in his sponsorship). That relationship finished a few years ago, but does this mean that he can not sponsor me on a 820 visa because he sponsored someone else on a 457 visa?

Thank you!
The rules specify: "Partner visa or Prospective Marriage visa"

ie: you have sponsored another person on a Partner visa or Prospective Marriage visa

The 457 is not a Partner visa, and would not count.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Hi!

Thank you!
The sponsorship limitation you refer to only applies to partner visas. Your partner would not have sponsored his previous partner on a 457 visa, but included her as a dependent applicant, which is completely different. So there is nothing stopping your partner from sponsoring you for a partner visa in that regard.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I am assuming he included his girlfriend on his 457 application or did he apply for a 820 Partner Visa for her?

An Australian or Australian citizen can sponsor 2 (partners) in a life time for a Partner Visa and I think it is 5 years between the first application and second grant.

When your partner sponsored his then girlfriend he was not an Australian and had to follow the 457 rule of partner migration.

You are now applying for a Partner Visa. You need a sponsor that is an Australian or an Australian citizen that has not sponsored anyone for a Partner Visa in the last 5 years.

How long has he been in Australia and what is his visa /resident status?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, he included his previous girlfriend on a 457 visa. Nowadays he is an Australian citizen and he wants to sponsor me for a Partner visa 820.

From what you guys said, we should not have any problem so that is good news :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Correct just put in a good valid application and be sure to read the Partner Migration Booklet and comply with the 12 month relationship (or registration) requirement as it sounds like you are de facto.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.