Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Posting for some advice regarding immigration and partner visas.

The context is that I (male, 29 years old) have been in a relationship with my girlfriend (female, 28 years old) since about September 2010 when we met while studying in Sydney. I am a full Australian citizen and she is not (she is a Malaysian citizen). After graduating, she had to go back to Malaysia due to provisions in her scholarship contract, while I moved to Hong Kong for work for about 5 years. During this time we maintained a distance relationship and visited each other regularly, at least twice a year.

I returned to Sydney in late December 2016 and have been living here since then, and have a permanent job. My girlfriend and I now hope that she can join me to permanently reside together in Australia at some point around mid to late March 2018 if possible. We do plan to get married shortly after she comes over.

I have had a look at some of the partner visa options from the immigration department but I am not sure what the best way to go is, and which ones to apply for. Would it be best for her to apply for a working holiday visa while any partner visa options go ahead or what other methods are there for her to stay in Australia while partner visa options are sorted out?

As I'm a bit lost in terms of what order things should be done, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!

- Gabriel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have sent emails to a few agents and will try a few more. Thanks for the advice!

In the meantime what sort of stuff should I be preparing?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Have a read of the Partner Migration Booklet found on the DIBP website first.

That covers the 3 types of Partner Visas and the evidence you need.

I think in NSW you can register your relationship as further evidence.

The Work Holiday Visa maybe a good option, followed by the 820 Partner Visa.

There is talk of changes in 2018 in relation to sponsorship for Partner Visas so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi there,

Posting for some advice regarding immigration and partner visas.

The context is that I (male, 29 years old) have been in a relationship with my girlfriend (female, 28 years old) since about September 2010 when we met while studying in Sydney. I am a full Australian citizen and she is not (she is a Malaysian citizen). After graduating, she had to go back to Malaysia due to provisions in her scholarship contract, while I moved to Hong Kong for work for about 5 years. During this time we maintained a distance relationship and visited each other regularly, at least twice a year.

I returned to Sydney in late December 2016 and have been living here since then, and have a permanent job. My girlfriend and I now hope that she can join me to permanently reside together in Australia at some point around mid to late March 2018 if possible. We do plan to get married shortly after she comes over.

I have had a look at some of the partner visa options from the immigration department but I am not sure what the best way to go is, and which ones to apply for. Would it be best for her to apply for a working holiday visa while any partner visa options go ahead or what other methods are there for her to stay in Australia while partner visa options are sorted out?

As I'm a bit lost in terms of what order things should be done, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!

- Gabriel
If you guys are ready to get married as you have mentioned, PMV 300 would be the best option as it is the fastest offshore option (compared to the Partner visa 309/100).

In terms of documentation you can start preparing, I'd suggest that you both start collating the basic personal information requirements first as those are pretty straightforward (e.g translate and certify applicant birth certificates, passport, passport photographs). The hard part would be proving and documenting the relationship aspect (written statements, statutory declarations etc).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.