Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I've just joined the forum although I've been following the forum for a while and it has given us lots of valuable insights on how to best prepare our partner visa application.

My Australian partner and I got together November 2016 and have been living together ever since. In April 2017, we left our previous homes and officially rented a house together in a new location. We also decided to register our relationship at that time. On July 26th 2017, we lodged our partner visa application. At the time I still had a student visa until March 15th 2018 as I was in the process of completing my psych degree. But we wanted to secure our future together and as our relationship was registered (thus waiving the relationship length requirement) and we had all the necessary evidence including bills, lease, shared bank accounts, shared pets, stat decs, photos of us and with my partner's family and so on, we decided to go ahead and apply for the visa already.

Earlier this week, I received a request for further information from the DIBP, I am being requested to undergo the required health assessment with Bupa. And here's the thing I am worried about: I am in very good health but have had several surgical procedures over the past few years and I am concerned as to how to will affect my health assessment.

In 2012 or so, I suffered from depression/anxiety for a while. I was young and had therapy for a while... changed my lifestyle, got into healthy eating, yoga and so and have now been in brilliant health for years.

In 2014, I developed a pilonidal sinus, it's basically just a cyst, I had two procedures, one to drain the cyst and one to cut away the injured tissue. Problem free since.

In 2015, I had a surgery to diagnosed and remove endometriosis in my uterus and have been problem free since.

But then in 2017, it was found that I had a complex detached retina. I had 5 surgeries to my eye to try and save my eyesight in my left eye but it didn't succeed and I permanently lost my sight in my left eye.

Now, understandably, I am concerned as to how this will affect my visa application. While the eye situation is permanent, it doesn't actually affect my everyday functioning at all, I can legally drive and do everything else normally... I don't require medications or procedures for this either.

And the other stuff is all just once off issues that have been resolved and now I'm fine, they are not anything chronic or long term. I am not on any medications and other than having had those past medical issues, I am actually in excellent health. I don't drink, I live an active lifestyle, do yoga and meditate daily, we for bushwalks with my partner often and we are passionate about organic whole foods nutrition.

I see no reason why I would have an issue and i genuinely believe that I would not be a burden on the Australian medical system. but maybe the DIBP sees it differently?

I would appreciate hearing from others that have applied and had past medical procedures or from anyone who has an idea on how to best proceed from here? I've gotten a letter from my eye surgeon to explain the situation and that no further surgeries will be required so I will bring that to the health assessment.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
They're looking at what you're going to cost the system over the next 5 years - specifically if it will be over $40k. If you don't need more surgeries for the eye, there's no chance you'll be unable to work, need expensive meds, etc. it sounds like you probably won't have any issues.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello everyone!

I've just joined the forum although I've been following the forum for a while and it has given us lots of valuable insights on how to best prepare our partner visa application.

My Australian partner and I got together November 2016 and have been living together ever since. In April 2017, we left our previous homes and officially rented a house together in a new location. We also decided to register our relationship at that time. On July 26th 2017, we lodged our partner visa application. At the time I still had a student visa until March 15th 2018 as I was in the process of completing my psych degree. But we wanted to secure our future together and as our relationship was registered (thus waiving the relationship length requirement) and we had all the necessary evidence including bills, lease, shared bank accounts, shared pets, stat decs, photos of us and with my partner's family and so on, we decided to go ahead and apply for the visa already.

Earlier this week, I received a request for further information from the DIBP, I am being requested to undergo the required health assessment with Bupa. And here's the thing I am worried about: I am in very good health but have had several surgical procedures over the past few years and I am concerned as to how to will affect my health assessment.

In 2012 or so, I suffered from depression/anxiety for a while. I was young and had therapy for a while... changed my lifestyle, got into healthy eating, yoga and so and have now been in brilliant health for years.

In 2014, I developed a pilonidal sinus, it's basically just a cyst, I had two procedures, one to drain the cyst and one to cut away the injured tissue. Problem free since.

In 2015, I had a surgery to diagnosed and remove endometriosis in my uterus and have been problem free since.

But then in 2017, it was found that I had a complex detached retina. I had 5 surgeries to my eye to try and save my eyesight in my left eye but it didn't succeed and I permanently lost my sight in my left eye.

Now, understandably, I am concerned as to how this will affect my visa application. While the eye situation is permanent, it doesn't actually affect my everyday functioning at all, I can legally drive and do everything else normally... I don't require medications or procedures for this either.

And the other stuff is all just once off issues that have been resolved and now I'm fine, they are not anything chronic or long term. I am not on any medications and other than having had those past medical issues, I am actually in excellent health. I don't drink, I live an active lifestyle, do yoga and meditate daily, we for bushwalks with my partner often and we are passionate about organic whole foods nutrition.

I see no reason why I would have an issue and i genuinely believe that I would not be a burden on the Australian medical system. but maybe the DIBP sees it differently?

I would appreciate hearing from others that have applied and had past medical procedures or from anyone who has an idea on how to best proceed from here? I've gotten a letter from my eye surgeon to explain the situation and that no further surgeries will be required so I will bring that to the health assessment.

Thank you!
From what I remember the health check consisted of a blood test ( i guess this is checking for illnesses such as HIV etc), a chest X-ray (checking for Tuberculosis) and the last part was just a general check up where a doctor gets to check your body in general, make sure your knees are functional etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.