Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Partner visa- best time to enquire about health/character checks?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  CollegeGirl 
#1 ·
If I'm applying in July and going to be out of the country until September, am I best to start at least getting my police check lined up? I know it's best to wait until they ask for your health exam because they might want specific things checked. I'm just not sure of waiting time after making an appointment for a health check or applying for a character check from the police. I'd be worried I'd be asked to obtain them and not be able to get them in quickly enough. Is it best to wait until immi asks for both? I've heard different things.

Also, is the health check really strict? I have asthma but not severe (easily controlled with inhalers). Other than that I'm in decent shape. Nothing to worry about really?

#3 ·
You should get your police check submitted with your application if the standard timeline is within a year. Though, medical should be preferably done later when requested by department.

The health exam contains a usual physical, but I don't remember seeing asthma on their ailment list (there was TB and cancer). It was mentioned to bring in any prescriptions if you take any regular medicine. I don't think asthma would be a problem. Other two things are blood test for HIV and chest X-ray.

#4 ·
Hey Snow,

Where are you applying? I got asked for my health checks three months after my lodgement date so.if yours goes similar it would be October before they d need anything. Police checks I gave them with my application but they don't want this and warned me I might have to get them re done. I had to get police checks from Ireland and UK took about two to three weeks to get the certs. But it would depend on where you are applying.

As for the asthma I got a letter from my doctor stating I have asthma. It should state what inhalers you take. They are more concerned about tb and sti s (well that's what the doctor who checked me said). If you ve had any major illnesses or hospital stays just make sure you have access to the information or a letter from your doctor outlining your treatment.

Hope this helps.

#7 ·
Asthma is so easy and inexpensive to treat it's not a problem at all. They're only concerned about major health problems.

London explicitly instructs applicants to wait on health/police checks until requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.