Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my partner and I are in the final stages of getting all our documents ready to submit. We are applying for an offshore partner visa and after having read all the information multiple times, we are confident that we have compiled all the necessary documents.

I have a few things that are still unclear and was wondering if anyone could help us out:

First, we are unsure of the best way to present our documents to the immigration department. Should we use a folder, include an index, table of contents...? Which method would ensure the application was easy to understand and able to be assessed easily? I have written quite a long statement about the history of our relationship, should I attach some photos to the relevant pages of the statement, or is it best to keep all the photos together?
This may seem like a small detail and I guess it is probably the least important aspect of the application, however I can't seem to decide on the most straightforward method.
If anyone has any tips or experiences they can share, I would appreciate it greatly.

The second question is regarding photos. We have made color copies of more than 100 photos that we had stored on our computer. There are no "originals" of these photos as they are digital files. We have printed them on a4 paper with two on each page. Above the photos we have written the date and place each photo was taken and identified any other people in the photo. Do these short statements on the photos need to be notarised to prove they are true? Also, is this the best way to present photos?

I also have one more quick question regarding evidence. We have some christmas and anniversary cards that have been sent to us over the years by my mum and grandmother. We no longer have the envelopes, and they are not dated, however they are all addressed to both of us and include short letters. Could these be used as further evidence of our relationship?

If anyone can offer any tips we would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
You should not only use the application Checklist but it needs to be included with your application and kind of is an index in itself.
100 photos are way way way too too many and half a dozen are more than ample for photos may show you together but they are not hard evidence of your relationship and nor is your statement and it is more background stuff.
Too much in it and it can be too much too, so precise dot point stuff is more the way.
You do need the hard evidence to show being together, a lease agreement where available, utility accounts, bills, memberships or any other formal documentation to a common address.

There used to be a statement in some visa application info re not using folders and though that may not be about anymore it still probably applies for someone posted recently on how they were able to attend somewhere to lodge and the very first thing that occurred was all their stuff being pulled out of plastic envelopes in a folder.

That's a good indication of what is required and how much, just enough so you can fit it in a reasonable size paper clip/clamp.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There used to be a statement in some visa application info re not using folders and though that may not be about anymore it still probably applies for someone posted recently on how they were able to attend somewhere to lodge and the very first thing that occurred was all their stuff being pulled out of plastic envelopes in a folder.
I think this is what you're referring to (it is in regard to partner visas):

How Should I Put My Application Together?
Please do not make complex collations of your application papers. We waste a lot of time (and risk injury to life and limb) deconstructing applications which have been extensively stapled or artfully put together in complex folders with indexes, dividers and tabs. Do not use plastic inserts. Please leave the papers, loosely divided by slide-on paper clips if you feel it is absolutely necessary, in a simple stack. Application form on the top; sponsorship form next; key personal documents next (birth and marriage certificates etc); formal statutory declarations next; and other supporting documents last.

Please do not send us video tapes or photograph albums. If you would like to support your claims with photographs, please choose a representative selection and make a photocopy.

Please do not send us phone cards at all as they can tell us nothing. If you wish to send examples of correspondence, please be very selective and send copies only.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again for your help wanderer.
I remember reading somewhere (perhaps somewhere on this or another forum) that about 80 photos was normal, but perhaps I was confused. I have not read any official advice from the immigration department on the number photos needed, only that it should be a 'representative sample'.
I will definitely cut down on the number of photos, as the package I have now does seem excessively bulky.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I'd think that 80 photos was normally still way too much, 10 to a dozen at the outside and even then, the CO may hardly look at them unless there's something like a Rat running across the doorstep of 10 Downing street or an elephant fornicating with a giraffe in the background.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Worth noting too when you read the full context of that particular section in the email that there's lots of Please, please and more pleases! compared to all the other other stuff, a generic extract from Immi info.

Nearly down on their knees! I expect - please just send funny photos to lighten our days!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
It's more general Marc and the email is specific to the UK office.
We already have a sticky re a partner visa application tips.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Aaron, Just wanted to let you know another thing you could also include in your application is a copy from your superannuation showing you have each other as a beneficiary. You can usually get these online from you super's website. Goodluck :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
is there anybody who can still add for more tips in presenting a partner visa?
Following another suggestion I saw (possibly on the elkitten sticky?), I numbered all my dozens of bits of relationship evidence, in chronological order. I then made a stat dec that was an index to all this evidence - it had the four different headings 'Financial aspects' etc. and under each heading the references to what I'd enclosed & more explanation when needed.

I then used the same numbering on bank statements I enclosed from our joint account. e.g. '#22: utility bill in joint names' => '#22' on the bank statement showing we paid it from the joint account.

I may slightly have a case of OCD :D

Regarding staples. I was careful to use no staples in all the many forms and stat decs (except where asked to e.g. Form 160). In the relationship evidence I enclosed originals and left them exactly as was, e.g. if a hotel had stapled the receipt to a bill, I left it that way. The evidence was sent back exactly as was*.

Regarding photos, I used 14, I think. I printed them four to a sheet.

Where you have undated evidence or letters without envelopes and so forth, I did let myself include a very few of those if they were really relevant. Hopefully the case officer will see it the same way.

* The London office does return your relationship evidence (and you must enclose a prepaid envelope for that). But policies differ between the offices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

I put together my application without any staple as suggested here, just nice and tidy and in chronological order and also following the order on the checklist.
I also divided the application in chapters, so there was a paper saying "Medical", "Form 47sp", "Financial Aspect -statement -bills -etc", at the top of each section.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm literally just starting to put together this application for my husband, and I'm feeling really overwhelmed by all the stuff we need! This thread has helped a bit though, so thanks.

:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just submitted our offshore partner visa about 10 days ago. We finally got our confirmation email. We still need to send in the FBI clearance and medical certificates though, I just wanted to have the rest of the papers there. I ended up just putting everything in the envelope without any clips or folders. I was so exhausted after reading and re-reading those damn forms over and over to make sure I didn't miss anything. I included about 8 or so photos that I printed out. I did the best I could with the application but I am pretty confident that photos of our 5 year old and our newest ultrasound photos should be enough. We have been married for over 7 years so I can't see any real reason that my husband would be rejected. I just wish the wait was over already. I can't stand the thought of another winter in Rhode Island.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think that's what I'm going to do - just put it all together, in order, and hope for the best.
You'd think that two kids and being married for 5 years would be enough! Fingers crossed.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Like you, I just cannot face the idea of another winter spent in the UK - I want a proper christmas for my kids this year!! Let's hope it works out for ALL of us :)

We just submitted our offshore partner visa about 10 days ago. We finally got our confirmation email. We still need to send in the FBI clearance and medical certificates though, I just wanted to have the rest of the papers there. I ended up just putting everything in the envelope without any clips or folders. I was so exhausted after reading and re-reading those damn forms over and over to make sure I didn't miss anything. I included about 8 or so photos that I printed out. I did the best I could with the application but I am pretty confident that photos of our 5 year old and our newest ultrasound photos should be enough. We have been married for over 7 years so I can't see any real reason that my husband would be rejected. I just wish the wait was over already. I can't stand the thought of another winter in Rhode Island.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We put ours altogether in a rather bulging folder. All documents were removed and placed in a brown envelope. On the day of submission we received about half our documents back, probably a sign we gave more rather than less than what was required.

I guess the moral of the story here is that presentation doesn't really matter so long as it is easy to follow and everything is in some kind of order. I dont think having a lot of photos is a bad thing, just so long as those photos are different. Theres no point having 100 photos of the both of you in some indiscriminate place. We had photos with both sets of parents, friends, in different cities. It helped tell a narrative. In that sense I think more photos is actually helpful, but certainly overkill is wasting your time - they wont look at them.

1 - 20 of 492 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.