Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

My partner is from Italy and I am Australian, and we are currently living in Italy (at the moment staying at his parents house). We would like to go back and settle in Australia so just trying to find out more info about the Partner visa. We met in 2014 and were in a long distance relationship until 2016, which is when he came to Australia on a working holiday visa (we were living with my parents) and he stayed for a total of 7 months. He then received a job offer in Italy and returned, and I then followed him 5 months later. I've been here in Italy for 5 months so far.

The problem is we don't really have much evidence of joint living expenses because we have only stayed at our our parents house when together in Italy and Australia. We are looking for somewhere to rent here in Italy to get the ball rolling and also open a joint bank account. And we were wanting to also register our relationship.

So when we do apply for the visa in the future, do we include the part of the relationship that was long distance? Even if there's only whatsapp/skype calls and short holidays we went on during that time?

Any other advice would also be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi!
They do ask you when and how you met and you need to make a statement about the history of your relationship. And that started in 2014. So yes, collect as much info as you can. Long distance relationships counts towards the time you e been in a relationship, but you need to prove that you've been in contact regularly. So collect pictures of the two of you, cards and invitations you've received together, screenshots from Facebook, whatsapp history, skype history and everything else you can think of that shows you've spend time together or stayed in contact. Better to have more than you need ready instead of trying hard to find something after a few years...

I put all pics and screenshots together in a word file with comments on where, when and the people shown on the pictures and then created a pdf. That makes uploading easy for you and also easy for the CO to go through.

Whatsapp history can be exported into a zip that contains a text file. Again, I copied that into a word doc, added and highlighted comments on certain important dates and conversations, deleted some really private messages (;)) and added a statement about that before creating a PDF.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your help!! I'll start putting things together now that I've got a lot of spare time. Thanks again :)

Hi!
They do ask you when and how you met and you need to make a statement about the history of your relationship. And that started in 2014. So yes, collect as much info as you can. Long distance relationships counts towards the time you e been in a relationship, but you need to prove that you've been in contact regularly. So collect pictures of the two of you, cards and invitations you've received together, screenshots from Facebook, whatsapp history, skype history and everything else you can think of that shows you've spend time together or stayed in contact. Better to have more than you need ready instead of trying hard to find something after a few years...

I put all pics and screenshots together in a word file with comments on where, when and the people shown on the pictures and then created a pdf. That makes uploading easy for you and also easy for the CO to go through.

Whatsapp history can be exported into a zip that contains a text file. Again, I copied that into a word doc, added and highlighted comments on certain important dates and conversations, deleted some really private messages (;)) and added a statement about that before creating a PDF.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hi!
They do ask you when and how you met and you need to make a statement about the history of your relationship. And that started in 2014. So yes, collect as much info as you can. Long distance relationships counts towards the time you e been in a relationship, but you need to prove that you've been in contact regularly.
Do LDR only count if you have met in person first? It sounds like the OP and her partner have met and lived together for periods of time.

The problem is we don't really have much evidence of joint living expenses because we have only stayed at our our parents house when together in Italy and Australia.
It sounds like both sets of parents support your relationship, so you could look into getting stat decs from both sets of parents confirming that you've lived together in Australia and Italy.

We are looking for somewhere to rent here in Italy to get the ball rolling and also open a joint bank account. And we were wanting to also register our relationship.
A lease is a great way to prove that you both live together. If any mail has arrived where you two are living with both your names on it is good as well. You would be surprised at what you can dig up that will count towards evidence!

So when we do apply for the visa in the future, do we include the part of the relationship that was long distance? Even if there's only whatsapp/skype calls and short holidays we went on during that time?
As Ramona said, you will need to write a statement on the history of the relationship. How you met, when you met etc. Showing conversations from skype, whatsapp etc is a great way to show that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do LDR only count if you have met in person first? It sounds like the OP and her partner have met and lived together for periods of time.
I am no Migration Agent, so I don't know the answer to that question. But I guess when you've met in person and decided to have a relationship to the exclusion of all others (as they word it) at that time, then it should count. Not sure about only meeting online...

My partner and I met in person and spend some months together before I had to return to Germany. We stayed in contact until he visited me for 3 months in Germany and then stayed in touch again for a few months before he completely moved to Germany. Our visa was granted without problems...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I read somewhere that it doesn't count if you haven't met in person. I can't remember where I read that though so I may be wrong.

I am no Migration Agent, so I don't know the answer to that question. But I guess when you've met in person and decided to have a relationship to the exclusion of all others (as they word it) at that time, then it should count. Not sure about only meeting online...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your reply :)

Yes, we had met in late 2014 and started the relationship from then. We had only lived together for about 4 months between 2014-2016 due to work and other personal reasons, but we kept in contact daily through Skype and WhatsApp. But because we hadn't lived together much in that time, I'm not sure if it counts to them. Ideally we would like to apply at the end of 2018/early 2019 if all goes to plan (regarding renting somewhere, joint expenses, etc).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think if you are applying onshore you should just register your relationship. And then just collect evidence from the start of relationship whether it is LDR or not.

·
Registered
838 Posts
personally I think you would be better off look at a PMV visa rather than a partner visa.
especially if you think your evidence is weak.
as an applicant your main task is to convince someone who doesn't know you and is impartial that it's genuine with proof.
a mass of photos mean little. photos over a period of time tell a story. limiting them even more so.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Me and my partner was in ldr too for 2 years. And we mentioned that in our statement. We only lived for 6 months prior applying online, and we registered our relationship. We didnt have any joint utilities and our joint account was only 6mths old at that time.

I remember someone said last time. Cant recall who that was, but be creative with your evidence, think outside the box, what and who can support your relationship. I attached conversations between me and my partner's friends and families (WhatsApp and messengers) to prove that everyone in our circles know us as a couple. I get my friends and family write a 'letter' of support , not even a stat dec ( i forgot to ask them to get certified lol) . Doesnt matter because our 820 has been approved anyway.

Each relationship is different, so we cant copy exactly whats the others are doing. So be creative and good luck.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Registering a relationship waves the 12 month requirement. You still need de facto evidence but it doesn't need to be 12 months worth.

Issue is you can't do it in every state.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Thanks for your reply :)

Yes, we had met in late 2014 and started the relationship from then. We had only lived together for about 4 months between 2014-2016 due to work and other personal reasons, but we kept in contact daily through Skype and WhatsApp. But because we hadn't lived together much in that time, I'm not sure if it counts to them. Ideally we would like to apply at the end of 2018/early 2019 if all goes to plan (regarding renting somewhere, joint expenses, etc).
309 will be cheaper than a PMV, if you don't have the evidence now for a 309 - you would by the time you would like to apply.

You should still find a piece of evidence that can prove you were in a relationship at the earliest date possible - by the time of your application you may be eligible for PR concideration

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
"2016, which is when he came to Australia on a working holiday visa"

Out of curiosity what did your partner put as their marital status in the WHV application form?

Did they mention you at all in this application?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You are eligible for Australia Partner Visa. Apply for Visa subcategory 100, in which you can sponsor you partner in Australia.
I would say your post is very poor in content and high in non allowable content - that many from countries think is acceptable even in visa applications - then cry when visas are refused because of dubious at best information is given.

My personal view is some countries need a 6 or more month suspension from any visa application - so they learn that honesty is required for any visa to Australia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We would be applying offshore, but we can still register the relationship from outside Australia from what I've read.

I think if you are applying onshore you should just register your relationship. And then just collect evidence from the start of relationship whether it is LDR or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow that's amazing! Did you have evidence of rent for the 6 months prior to applying? Yes great idea, I'll definitely attach conversations with friends and family. Thanks for that

Me and my partner was in ldr too for 2 years. And we mentioned that in our statement. We only lived for 6 months prior applying online, and we registered our relationship. We didnt have any joint utilities and our joint account was only 6mths old at that time.

I remember someone said last time. Cant recall who that was, but be creative with your evidence, think outside the box, what and who can support your relationship. I attached conversations between me and my partner's friends and families (WhatsApp and messengers) to prove that everyone in our circles know us as a couple. I get my friends and family write a 'letter' of support , not even a stat dec ( i forgot to ask them to get certified lol) . Doesnt matter because our 820 has been approved anyway.

Each relationship is different, so we cant copy exactly whats the others are doing. So be creative and good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We just checked on the immi online system now and his relationship status on the WHV application form said 'never married'.

My name or address wasn't mentioned in the application either. But from what we can see there was never the opportunity to put this in. He did mention my name and address when he arrived in 2016, but not sure if they put this in the system. Probably not :(

"2016, which is when he came to Australia on a working holiday visa"

Out of curiosity what did your partner put as their marital status in the WHV application form?

Did they mention you at all in this application?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.