Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my boyfriend is an Australian citizen by birth however he moved to UK with his parents when he was 12. We've been together for 2 years in the UK and lived together for just over 1 year. We both want to move to Australia and I would apply for a partner visa and he would sponsor me.

2 questions:

1) does it matter that he does not live in Australia at the moment and hasn't done for over 13 years?

2) if after we are granted the partner visa, we decide to get married in the future does this affect our visa in anyway because we will now be married as opposed to in a de facto relationship and the visa i am applying for is on grounds of a de facto relationship. would we have to get a new visa or when it comes round to a review for the permanent visa would we have to apply for a different visa?

i'm a bit confused so any info would be great!!

thanks

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Hi,

First, if your partner is still an Australian citizen and has not given up his citizenship, he still has every right to live in Australia and sponsor you as his spouse.

Second, if you get married later while before your permanent visa has been granted (this comes up 2 years after being granted your temporary visa), you still have to inform immigration of the event because you will then be a married (dejure) couple which has different assessement criteria for grant of the visa. It won't harm your chances of getting a permanent visa, and in fact could strengthen your application since it shows you are taking steps to solidify your lives together as a genuine couple.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.