Australia Forum banner

Partner Visa - long distance relationship, enough evidence?

5500 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  neffstar
Hi there,

first of all, its really nice to see, that people helping each other here in this forum! And good to know that there are lots of people out there in the same situation, than me and my partner :)

We need some help with the Partner Visa! We would like to apply for it in Berlin, but we are not sure, because we are missing some proofs, like shared bank account, apartment contract, bills etc.

I'd like to explain our situation:
Nov 08: met in Australia (WHV). My family met him already in Dez. and we spent xmas and NYE all together.
Jan 09: in a relationship, lived together in one room in a shared house in Australia until August 2009. We don't have any contract for this house as a proof, just letters, that family, bank and friends have send to me or my partner.
Aug 09: I had to go back to Germany, because of my studies.
2010: we could see each other just for holidays in Europe, because of my studies and his job.
Aug 11: he came to Germany (can proof it booth).

Aug 11-Jan 12: 3 weeks after our holidays in Germany, I went to Australia for 6months to study there, I moved in his new (shared) house.
From this time we are officially talking about a "de facto relationship", because everything got even more serious and we committed to each other (we are not engaged). He has a contract for the house and receives all the bills. I dont have a contract fpr this time and my partner payed my bills + rent. I just have mails addressed to me or him.
During this period we spend again xmas, NYE together with my brother and did some trips (can proof it).
For this 6 months I took out a loan just for living with him for 6 months (study fees etc.)!

Aug 12: 3 weeks holiday together in Italy with his family, we went together to a wedding of his best friend (he was the best man), stayed in hotels, his aunts house etc.

Coming to the point:
We are in a "de facto relationship" since one year, lived together for 6months and spend 3 more weeks in Italy.
(But lived already together in 14 monts in total.)
We don't have a shared account (because we both knew, I need to finish my studies in Germany and it wouldn't make sense, open one now).
But we shared our finances, because he paid my rent while I was in Australia, I paid his flight tickets, grocery etc. We can proof this on our bank statements. And we don't have any contracts for our time living together in his house, bills etc.

We have a lot of friends, who can proof everything, we also had heaps of contact via skype and whatsapp, birthday cards, valentines day presents and so on…

We wanted to register our relationship, but I m still in Germany til my graduation in Oktober.

Our worries are, that we don't have enough evidence and would like to ask you for your opinion or ideas. Maybe you were in the same situation?
See less See more
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Hi there!

Concerning the registration of the relationship: Where does your partner live? If it is in NSW, it is so easy to register the relationship, you can even send it by post, so I think you dont have to actually be there!

The same goes for the joined bank account. I understand that it doesnt make much sense at the moment to open one up, but do it anyway, the longer you have one together, the better! There are some threads here that tell you which bank allows you to open up a bank account even though you are in Germany.

Can you get any of the landlords to write you a stat declaration that you have lived with your partner despite the fact that you werent on the lease? I think you should focus on "collecting hard evidence" (bank account, registration, lease) in order to fulfil the requirements.

Whats yyour plan after your graduation? Do you wanna apply onshore or offshore? I guess for you guys it would be best if you live together for a few more months before you apply! So come over on a Tourist Visa or Student Visa if he cannot come to Germany for a while.

Good luck with everything :)
See less See more
Hi Jazzyfizzle,

thanks for your reply!
Yes, he s in NSW.
We will have a look regarding the relationship registration. Cause a wittness (notar, etc.) needs to sign it as well.

Getting a sat. decl. from the landlords gonna be hard in our case, almost impossible.

But, I agree! I should maybe study another half a year in Sydney and apply for the Partner Visa after maybe 5 months. (Again spending lots of money, when does this stop!?)

If I go back to Australia with the student visa and I'm applying for the Partner Visa after a while, I will get an bridging visa right? Am I able to work with this visa? So from that day, I could stop studying!?
How it would be with the tourist visa? Am I have the right to work with the bridging visa after having a tourist visa?

I would prefer the student visa, but I should think about every option ;)
See less See more
Hey again,
I am actually doing the same soon: Going there on a student visa (3-4months) and apply then for a partner visa. Once your student visa is not valid anymore (usually 1month after the course ends, in which you can work fulltime, as it is "not in session"), you will get the Bridging visa with the same working rights. If thats only20hs a week, you may fill in form 1005 to remove the work ristrictions.
So basically no, you have to finish your course, you cant just stop if you apply for the partner visa. Thats why its clever to study something for the duration that you wish to bridge until you apply for your partner visa, in my case I needed around 3-4 more months, so I looked into finding a course that is that long. Even though I have a much higher qualification, I actually see an added value in doing such a course (certificat II or III) in another industry (I chose Tourism) by an Australian institution. It cant hurt for the future job search :)

If you choose to come over on a Tourist visa, you can appy for the partner visa (if you have no "no further stay" condition in your visa, which you shouldnt, coming from Germany), but you will also only get the bridging visa once the tourist visa ceases (after 3 months), so there is actually no point in applying sooner than that.

I chose the first option, because with a student visa you will have he chance to "get a life" on your own rather than sitting at home on a tourist visa! I calculated that I might be able to "work" all the included costs relating to the student visa "off" in around 6-7 weeks.

I hope that helped you a bit ;-)
See less See more
Hey Jazzyfizzle,

how did you go at the end?
I'm unfortunately still in Germany, saving up some money but planing to leave in about 6months.
How much you paid for your studies? Did you already apply for the de facto visa? How did you go? Any tipps?

I'm slowly starting to look for a course (3months) to get a student visa....

I'm really looking forward to your reply :)

Yes I applied in December last year but havent heard from them! So knock on wood, I m hoping to get approved!

I tried befriending you here to talk more details!

  • Like
Reactions: 1
waiting since december, thats a long time, but at least you are on the bridging visa and you can work!?
How did you go with the studies before? Where and how long did you study at the end? I'd love to hear your whole story!

I wanted to send you a private message, but couldnt find this function...
Cat, you won't be able to send PMs until you have a few more posts under your belt. That helps keeps spammers from joining and PMing members to try to sell them things.
How did you go

Hi Cat1988,
how did you end up going? a couple of years down the track now :) me and my partner are in a similar situation, lacking maybe some "hard evidence", so im keen to hear how you went.
  • Like
Reactions: 1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Not open for further replies.