Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im wondering if I can sponsor my partner on a Partner visa (820/801) if i am currently on a disability payment?

I sponsored my previous partner years ago so it will be my second time. I realise i cannot sponsor a second person within a five year period. That 5 year period will be up 6th of June 2018. My second question is. My partner currently is on a student visa that ends mid May 2018. I can't even apply for the 820/801 till the 6th of May 2018. Will my partner have to apply for another full student visa for simply those few weeks?

Any help anyone could give me would be very much appreciated. If there are any immigration agents in Sydney that are recommended for this particularly tricky case please feel free to leave details.
Im feeling a little lost. Thanks Kindly :)

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Being on the pension does not stop you from sponsoring a partner for a partner visa.

DIBP may not grant another student visa, they would need to meet the requirements for the visa. There is a sticky with a list of migration agents that post on this forum. You can also do skype consults.

Just remember make sure your evidence is solid as having sponsored someone before DIBP will look at the application more closely.

I am not sure when you calculated the 5 years but it is from the original application date. Also technically you could apply before the 5 years is up as it is when the decision is made on the new application but if it is risky as DIBP can always look at the application before the 5 years and make a decision then - it would be easy money for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so so much for the information. I really appreciate it. Im looking back over my previous details. myself and my ex partner lodged the application on the 11th Oct 2010.
I received the letter stating the (subclass 820) visa was granted on the 6th June 2011. The (subclass 801) was granted 31st Dec 2012.

I counted from the 6th june 2011 as it was the day it was granted. Is that correct? Technically his student visa lasts till May 19 and i would be eligible to sponsor on June 6. (if that is correct).
I would hate to be knocked back over a matter of 2.5 weeks. I think i will definitely seek a migration agent consultation.
Again thank you so much.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Thank you so so much for the information. I really appreciate it. Im looking back over my previous details. myself and my ex partner lodged the application on the 11th Oct 2010.
I received the letter stating the (subclass 820) visa was granted on the 6th June 2011. The (subclass 801) was granted 31st Dec 2012.

I counted from the 6th june 2011 as it was the day it was granted. Is that correct? Technically his student visa lasts till May 19 and i would be eligible to sponsor on June 6. (if that is correct).
I would hate to be knocked back over a matter of 2.5 weeks. I think i will definitely seek a migration agent consultation.
Again thank you so much.
If the previous sc. 820 application was lodged on 11/10/2010, the 5 year sponsorship limitation period would have ended on 11/10/2015.

Provided you meet the relationship requirements, I would lodge the new partner visa application as soon as possible and, in any case, well before the student visa expires.

Reactions: Alys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the previous sc. 820 application was lodged on 11/10/2010, the 5 year sponsorship limitation period would have ended on 11/10/2015.

Provided you meet the relationship requirements, I would lodge the new partner visa application as soon as possible and, in any case, well before the student visa expires.
Oh wow. Thank you very much for that information. I was thinking the 5 year limitation for myself was not inclusive of the two years i sponsored my ex partner. Therefore i was working it to be 7 Years.
So it is the date of lodgement and not the grant date of the 820 that it is calculated by?
Thank you very much for that information. I may have to get a wriggle on and get things rolling.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
So it is the date of lodgement and not the grant date of the 820 that it is calculated by?

Yes lodgement date of the first - till - approval of the second must exceed 5 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.