Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have read somewhere that it is possible to have a relationship registered and it will help in the partner visa process?

"From 1 July 2016, only one person in a registrable domestic relationship needs to live in Victoria to register their relationship under the Relationships Act. This means that if you live in Victoria but your partner is living interstate or overseas, you will be able to register your relationship in Victoria."

My boyfriend lives in Victoria, Melb. We never really lived together, he visited here 3 times and stayed maximum of 30 days per visit, so we can't say that we are in a defacto relationship. We've been dating for almost 3 years and both have stable income. We are planning to get married in 2-3 years time but for now he wants me to come over Melbourne to live with him already.

So registering our relationship would waived the 12 months requirement for the partner visa? Is this correct?

But it also says "Just 3 months of residence in Victoria is required now, whereas perviously 12 months of residence had to be proved"

What does it mean 3 months of residence? Does it mean that I should live for 3 months in Melbourne to be eligible?

Also,

Is the relationship declaration register enough to get a partner visa?

We are still looking for better options. Please let me know more. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You still need to meet the criteria of the visa.

This post looks like you are hoping registering the relationship will allow you to fast track. This is unlikely.

Suggest you consult with an RMA for an action plan or assesment of your current circumstances.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.