Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

My partner and I are about to begin the partner visa process but we had some questions regarding the visa, as we want all the information possible before committing to a costly application.

1. In addition to submitting lots of evidence to prove the relationship at the point of application, I’ve heard that Immigration might contact both our employers and friends (namely ones who hadn’t submitted a stat dec) etc regarding our relationship, is this true?

2. I was wondering how often Immigration ask to interview people regarding their relationship? For reference, will just be fulfilling the 12 month defacto requirement at the time of application.

3. I know that if our relationship ends we must inform immigration immediately, but what are the possible penalties (we’ve read large fines and imprisonment) for both of us if immigration rule a relationship and application as fraudulent? And how often are they imposed?

My partner and I are both relatively quiet and private people (I have severe anxiety to boot) and feel a bit uneasy about how invasive Immigration might be on top of the online application we submit.

Thanks for any help!

Dan

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
2. I was wondering how often Immigration ask to interview people regarding their relationship? For reference, will just be fulfilling the 12 month defacto requirement at the time of application.
Applications from some countries seem to have many interview situations. I see many mentioned in India.

However, I have personally not heard of any in the UK, (your location is stated as UK).

I've personally known a few partner applications from the Philippines, but not one had an interview.

Maybe those with unusual circumstances might be interviewed.

My partner, from the Philippines, didn't have an interview, and nor were any family members contacted. We did two form 888's and one stat dec from an overseas friend, but none from her family.

If immigration rule a relationship and application as fraudulent, and is proven, the applicant may face future bans to Australia.
If you are genuine, then do not worry about that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JandE!

It’s good to know interviews appear to be based on country as much or not as more than the information provided.

Also good to know that any sponsor won’t be affected by any fraudulence suspected or found, and only the applicant.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Thanks JandE!

It's good to know interviews appear to be based on country as much or not as more than the information provided.

Also good to know that any sponsor won't be affected by any fraudulence suspected or found, and only the applicant.
I would guess that the sponsor could also be in trouble if the sponsor was found to be knowingly guilty of fraudulent activity, rather than just getting caught up in it, as an innocent party.

Regarding interviews, I just remembered, I had an interview when I migrated from UK to Australia, but it was different back in the 80's. You just about walked out of the interview with the visa stamp.. 7 day processing or something.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks JandE!

It's good to know interviews appear to be based on country as much or not as more than the information provided.

Also good to know that any sponsor won't be affected by any fraudulence suspected or found, and only the applicant.
fraud is a criminal act and can be expected to be treated as such regardless if applicant or sponsor. it's also one that has very long lasting consequences in many aspects of life.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I'm sure if they have doubts on the relationship, they'll interview the applicant or sponsor or friends regardless of the country.

I know of a married couple personally who lived in France (low risk country) together for years before choosing to move to Australia via partner visa. A some point during their relationship after moving to Oz, immigration went and visited their neighbors and asked about them.

For all I know, immigration has already spoken to others about us. We wouldn't really know, especially if they're talking to a neighbor that we don't talk to and so wouldn't come over and let us know.

I think it can happen to anyone regardless of the country.

·
Registered
43 Posts
from what I have read they tend to contact people who are applying from what they call "high risk" countries....I have seen people from Pakistan mention they get calls and what sort of questions were asked.....

If they have doubts they will call but unlikely if you are from the UK as mentioned by JandE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.