Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Myself (Australian citizen) and my partner(Brazilian) have been together living in Australia for over 12 months. She is currently on a student visa that goes until 2020.
I know if we apply for the onshore partner visa then the bridging visa will not take effect until the end of the student visa. Is this our only option?
Can you apply for a 309 partner visa (offshore) but come back into Australia on your current student visa until the 309 is to be granted?
Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Yes, she'll be bound by the conditions of her student visa until it ends and the bridging visa takes effect or the partner visa is granted and takes over.

Yes she can apply offshore. She'll need to leave Australia if she's onshore when they are ready to make a decision.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Out of curiosity how would applying for a 309 visa benefit you over an 820?

There are other options to get off of the student visa but they are a gamble and could result in your partner ending up applying 309 and being stuck offshore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry should have mentioned that. The reason for looking at 309 as an option was the processing times are currently shorter than the 820. So my thinking was the potential time on the student visa would be less.

Understood around the other ways that are a gamble and don’t want anything to risk being stuck offshore.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I wouldn't put much scope in the published processing times the variances in them are wild. Although I do tend to agreee that some offshore offices do seem to process slightly quicker. Others on the other hand have been known to take dramatically longer. At least with the 820 and a bridging visa you are guaranteed to stay onshore even if the processing time ends up taking excessive time for any reason.

Remember that processing times are "within" and not a "will take" so a 75% within 14 month processing time encompasses visas that are granted between 1 day and 14 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.