Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner and I have been in an exclusive relationship for quite some time, although we aren't legally able to live together and establish defacto. We both live abroad separately right now, but we want to get married and live in Australia. Due to living separately, we have no joint bills or accounts. We're just trying to find out the best way to achieve this goal.

1) My interpretation is, marriage removes the need to prove defacto, is this correct? We could get married and then apply for offshore partner visa without living together at all?

2) My partner currently still holds a valid Tourist Visa from a previous visit, without a "no further stay" condition. Does this mean we could get married, then come to Aus and apply for onshore visa?

3) Could we get married in Aus, while on tourist visa, then apply for onshore?

4) Would the prospective marriage visa serve any purpose in our case? I understand its $7000 for the PM visa and another $7000 for subsequent onshore partner visa. Or is this visa only applicable to people who are otherwise unable to enter Australia to get married?

5) Is there any working/employment restrictions for a spouse on a partner visa or bridging visa?

6) Does the sponsoring partner need to provide financial or residential proof during the application?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
1). The defacto visa has no requirement to be living together, just not to be living apart on a permanent basis.

2) yes

3) yes

4) the second visa would be at a much reduced fee, this visa must be applied for offshore, this visa is better for people with less evidence of a relationship.

5) the applicant or the sponsor? Usually no but it depends on the grant letter...

6) yes but probably not for the reason I believe you asked this question.

Getting married isn't the be all and end all, you still have to prove the same evidence categories for your 820 and 309s. Prospective marriage visa is probably your better option...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
1). The defacto visa has no requirement to be living together, just not to be living apart on a permanent basis.

2) yes

3) yes

4) the second visa would be at a much reduced fee, this visa must be applied for offshore, this visa is better for people with less evidence of a relationship.

5) the applicant or the sponsor? Usually no but it depends on the grant letter...

6) yes but probably not for the reason I believe you asked this question.

Getting married isn't the be all and end all, you still have to prove the same evidence categories for your 820 and 309s. Prospective marriage visa is probably your better option...

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Marriage itself doesn't guarantee the visa. You still need hard evidence to supply of your relationship to support the application. No evidence, no visa.

The 300 route is an option if you're planning to marry. It's $7000 for the 300 then $1195 for the subsequent 820/801 app as a 300 holder (That's listed on the website as well).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,
I'm an international full time student currently in Darwin. I have a personal insurance with Allianz. My husband wants to join me here. I wish to know if it's necessary to have a couple plan or he can get a personal one. What are the immigration requirements?
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, just want to ask when can you make a payment for 820 is it after i submitted my online form or after my husband which is my sponsor submitted his form?

Also, i want to compile our pictures i am using word for that but when i checked with home affairs.docx is not on the list of approved files.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Hi, just want to ask when can you make a payment for 820 is it after i submitted my online form or after my husband which is my sponsor submitted his form?

Also, i want to compile our pictures i am using word for that but when i checked with home affairs.docx is not on the list of approved files.
The sponsor can't do the online form until the applicant has paid and submitted theirs.

When you click Save As for the word file, underneath where you type the name of the document, there's a drop down menu so you can change it to pdf. I suggest saving it as a word file first so you can edit it later if needed, then save as a PDF for the file that goes to immi.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello,
I'm an international full time student currently in Darwin. I have a personal insurance with Allianz. My husband wants to join me here. I wish to know if it's necessary to have a couple plan or he can get a personal one. What are the immigration requirements?
Thank you for your help.
When you applied for your student visa, you did not include your husband in your form ? or did you get married after you obtained your student visa ?

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/500-

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/500-?modal=/trav/stud/brin

you can do this on our own, before that read the links carefully.

All the best

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.