Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I currently live overseas with my partner and plan to do so until next year when I will return to Australia for a good job offer that I have been given. I want to apply for a partner visa as we would have been over the 12 months by the time I leave, but am concerned about the interim period between submitting and approval. During this period we would be separated (while visiting each other as much as we can).

Additionally, I have heard some stories about the difficulties in getting employment on the 820 visa as it is temporary and, given that my partner has a very good job overseas, she would prefer to continue until the permanent visa is granted. Is it possible to have some sort of system until the permanent visa is granted? As a young couple, and just beginning our careers, we really want the opportunity to earn some money and experience at our respective jobs.

It is tricky because we both have job opportunities in our respective countries that are very competitive and that we have both worked very hard for but on the other hand, this period (2018) that I am with her meets the requirements of 12 months.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I’m not sure what you are asking, but if your partner applied for a sc. 820 visa, she would be onshore and be able to work once her bridging visa comes into effect.

Is your partner eligible for a WHV?

Maybe arrange for a consultation with a registered migration agent, so you can make an informed decision about the various options?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi sorry, let me clarify

the first question was what will happen in the interim period after I leave my partner and go back to Australia? If for example, we lodged the application right before I left, I am assuming it will be around 12-15 months that we are separated while the visa is processed.

The second question was in regards to what we can do once the visa is actually granted. Do we have to live together in Australia during the transition period from 820 to 801? I ask because the experience and job she has overseas would be much better than the job uncertainty that would accompany the 820 visa. The plan would be for her to make the permanent move to Australia and look for work once the permanent visa is granted.

In relation to the WHV, she does qualify, but again, the job opportunities we have both been afforded are things that we really want to pursue somehow while also trying to secure the partner visa and eventually end up in Australia.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi sorry, let me clarify

the first question was what will happen in the interim period after I leave my partner and go back to Australia? If for example, we lodged the application right before I left, I am assuming it will be around 12-15 months that we are separated while the visa is processed.

The second question was in regards to what we can do once the visa is actually granted. Do we have to live together in Australia during the transition period from 820 to 801? I ask because the experience and job she has overseas would be much better than the job uncertainty that would accompany the 820 visa. The plan would be for her to make the permanent move to Australia and look for work once the permanent visa is granted.

In relation to the WHV, she does qualify, but again, the job opportunities we have both been afforded are things that we really want to pursue somehow while also trying to secure the partner visa and eventually end up in Australia.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
You seem to have things a bit mixed up.

Will or have you (your partner actually) applied for a 820 Partner Visa?

Or is it the 309 Partner Visa.

What you have posted is extremely unclear so the rest of your post is just not relevant until we know your current position.

And that assumes we all think you are the sponsor, that is an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident that can sponsor your partner.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
First don't use the term "leave my partner" on any paperwork you send the dept.

Second it sounds like you need a 309/100 not an 820/801 - are you a citizen?

Point 1). Nothing - they will process your application based on its merits, it's not uncommon for partners to have a period of separation due to not having the applicable visa.

Point 2). The visa allows for offshore travel - however you will need to show the continuing relationship - the longer your apart the harder this potentially becomes. Likewise they may ask why your partner wants a permanent resident visa if they don't plan to live here..

Point 3). If your partner has a skill that is required in the Australian job market then a 820 won't prevent them getting a job...I'm on an 820, earn a 6 figure salary working in emergency services. I also know plenty of other 820 holders in skilled work.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Point 3). If your partner has a skill that is required in the Australian job market then a 820 won't prevent them getting a job...I'm on an 820, earn a 6 figure salary working in emergency services. I also know plenty of other 820 holders in skilled work.
I got a 6 figure personal tax assessment this week for the 15/16 year from the ATO. Anyone got a spare $203,400?

Bet my ex on the 820 will use this as a claim.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I haven't yet applied. I am an Australian citizen
What you need to do first is do some research, so you have a clear understanding of the various options and requirements. You'll have to choose whatever pathway suits your circumstances best, but the situation is never going to be ideal.

Reactions: wrussell
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.