Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I’ve been reading through this forum for the last few weeks and had to make an account - everyone is so helpful!

I’m Australian and my husband is Japanese. We are applying for the partner visa offshore.

The main issue I’m having is, can I help my husband write his relationship statement or does he have to write it in Japanese by himself then we have it translated by an NAATI translator? His English is good enough to chat but he never learnt grammar so he can’t write sentences that are legible (without help).

I have asked immigration and got two answers. Yesterday my parents called immigration in aus and the lady on the phone said we have to translate from Japanese to English. And that I can’t help him. But earlier in the week I also emailed immigration. They wrote that I can help him as long as I state it on the application (and they didn’t mention anything about translation). I have no idea which one is correct... I’ve replied to the email but no reply as yet. I’d really like to know, for certain, as soon as possible.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? I’d really appreciate any advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Do not rely on information from immigration help lines. The operators are not qualified to give migration advice, are often wrong, and face no consequences for being wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My wife used a combination of google and my help. I did not edit anything, just fixed a few small issues. We applied feb last year

Her English has since improved, but as far as I can remember, her application was very basic English with no super long sentences.

It was understandable English, and using google to do short sentences from Japanese seems to work. Using google to translate long Japanese sentences usually ended up with garbage.

Ganbatte, best of luck

S

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.