1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
from 573 to 820 questions

Hey guys,

Hoping to get some advice here.

So my case is a bit tricky - I am on a student visa which expires this August. I would have been graduated this July except that due to my last semester not going so well (took some very challenging courses and ended up not doing well in the exams) I was given an underenrollment permission by my dean, i.e. instead of doing a full study load of 4 courses I am doing 3 this semester, which means I will be finishing up my study with one extra semester.

I have been with my partner for a few years and we had always planned to apply for a partner visa once I was done with my study. So the tricky bit is - seeing as my student visa is expiring this August, and I am graduating at the end of this year due to the extra semester, should I (1) wait for uni to issue me a new CoE and then apply for a new student visa to cover the new semester and then after that new visa expires, apply for a partner visa or (2) apply for a partner visa now so that once my current student visa expires, my bridging visa can kick in and then I can finish my extra semester while being on the bridging visa and waiting for the partner visa result?

I called DHA and spoke to someone there who confirmed that I should be able to do (2), as the first option would mean an extra fee spent on visa application. However, as I kept reading comments in this forum saying how DHA sometimes could give misleading / wrong information I am not 100% confident on what I was told on phone.

What are your thoughts on this?

My plan is definitely to finish my study - I never intend to cancel my student visa or anything. It just so happens that I suddenly need an extra semester and my current student visa would be expiring, so I wonder whether it's legal for me to apply for a partner visa in this case.

Thank you very much guys :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should have read "your eligable" iPhones *sigh*.

If you have evidence for those full 3 years as defacto wait until
June, you may be eligable for direct to 801.
iPhone autocorrect is always a nightmare! :p haha

Thanks for the suggestion - actually this brought up a question that I am having, which is, if I start asking friends and family to fill out Form 888 now, would the forms be a bit too old by the time I lodge my application around June? I remember reading someone mentioning how the documents should be no older than 6 weeks or so, and if that's the case, I should probably only start prompting them to complete the forms around May?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
iPhone autocorrect is always a nightmare! :p haha

Thanks for the suggestion - actually this brought up a question that I am having, which is, if I start asking friends and family to fill out Form 888 now, would the forms be a bit too old by the time I lodge my application around June? I remember reading someone mentioning how the documents should be no older than 6 weeks or so, and if that's the case, I should probably only start prompting them to complete the forms around May?

Thanks again!
Some friends may take that long to get the bloomin things back to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It will need very solid evidence for the 801.

Are they or were they listed on your Student Visa as a de facto?
No I didn't state any de facto relationship under my student visa as at that time I thought it's only for students who would like to bring their de facto partners with them to Australia, and my partner's a citizen already residing here.

Yea I guess shouldn't keep my hopes high for being granted the permanent visa straightaway... I did read about how couples of 4 years or more didn't get 801 directly because of not strong enough evidence.

In this case, would you say it's probably not important for me to wait till the 3 year mark (i.e. this June) to submit my application?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A quick follow-up question - when I lodge my application should I write up a statement explaining to my potential case officer that I would like to be considered for 801? Would it be unnecessary since I would be stating the length of our relationship in the Statement of Relationship already?

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
A quick follow-up question - when I lodge my application should I write up a statement explaining to my potential case officer that I would like to be considered for 801? Would it be unnecessary since I would be stating the length of our relationship in the Statement of Relationship already?

Cheers!
It would definitely be a good idea to request consideration and list solid reasons for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.