Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I am wanting to apply for a defacto visa with my partner. We have been together 3 years but only lived together full time for 7 months. I cannot see anything on the Home Affairs website stating that you must have lived together for a minimum of 12 months, the only stipulation I can see is being able to prove you're in a genuine relationship for a minimum of 12 months.
Can anyone confirm that we do not have to have been living together for a min of 12 months...
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
A genuine *de facto* relationship for 12 months. Time dating doesn't count.

There's no specific requirement to have lived together for that entire time but it's easier to do so in terms of the 12 months de facto evidence.

It's hard to say if you'd qualify or not without knowing your relationship, but it might be beneficial for you to register your relationship if you live in a state where you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say 'time dating' doesn't count. Does that mean as we are not married then they may class the whole 3 years as 'time dating'? We are not married but have been in a relationship here in Oz for 3 years

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi there
I am wanting to apply for a defacto visa with my partner. We have been together 3 years but only lived together full time for 7 months. I cannot see anything on the Home Affairs website stating that you must have lived together for a minimum of 12 months, the only stipulation I can see is being able to prove you're in a genuine relationship for a minimum of 12 months.
Can anyone confirm that we do not have to have been living together for a min of 12 months...
Thank you in advance
The requirement, unless you are married or have registered the relationship, is that you must have been in a de-facto relationship for at leat 12 months at time of application.

That does not necessarily mean 12 months of co-habitation, but you would be expected to have sufficient evidence of meeting the 4 major pillars of the relationship for that entire period (social, financial, household, commitment), not just for the 7 months since you started living together.

You could of course get married...

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
When you say 'time dating' doesn't count. Does that mean as we are not married then they may class the whole 3 years as 'time dating'? We are not married but have been in a relationship here in Oz for 3 years
Nothing to do with marriage. I meant dating and de facto are two very different things to immigration.

Since you can't register the relationship, it might be best to get a consult with an RMA before paying the $7000 application fee to make sure you have what immigration wants to see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.