Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I'm from the US and I'm here in Australia with my long-term boyfriend on a Working Holiday Visa (which will expire in mid-August)

We're currently trying to get our De Facto Partner application filled out, but I have a couple questions:

Is it best to fill the application out online or mail it in?

And does anyone have advice on handling FBI and State (CA, for me) Police Clearance things. I've already gotten one done for Victoria.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Paper applications for partner visas are basically obsolete. Online is the only way to apply now (and much simpler in my opinion).

As for US police checks - keep in mind they can take quite a while to obtain if organising from Australia. So give yourself plenty of time. In saying that however, police checks and medicals are two of the only things not needed to submit straight away, you can wait for a case officer to request these or complete them at your own convenience (unless requested - then do them ASAP).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As for US police checks - keep in mind they can take quite a while to obtain if organising from Australia. So give yourself plenty of time. In saying that however, police checks and medicals are two of the only things not needed to submit straight away, you can wait for a case officer to request these or complete them at your own convenience (unless requested - then do them ASAP).
Trying to get everything done beforehand (already signed up for FBI check and eMedical) that way the application goes by quicker and more smoothly. Just can't figure out the best way to do state checks-seems excessive since the FBI check should have everything, right?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Plenty of people that apply by paper soon come to regret the decision when they have a lot more work to do if they need to update anything or submit additional documentation. Seriously, just apply online. It's the preferred method by the department for a reason and far easier on the applicant and sponsor when it comes to submitted all the required documentation, not to mention cheaper as you don't have to get certified copies of everything.

I would have waited until after you applied to get the medical referral as that seems to be the easiest way.

FBI checks are easy enough. If you are a citizen or permanent resident, you can go through either the FBI or an approved channeler. I heard the FBI has cut the wait times down from about 4 months to a week, so cheaper to go through them if that's the case. But for $50 (USD) I had my FBI check through Accurate Biometrics in about a week. The hardest part is getting the fingerprints in Australia, from what I hear.

US State checks are only for any state you've lived in for at least 3 months in the last 12 months. Difficulty depends on the state. Mine didn't require fingerprints, just a signed application form and a check. Easy enough.

·
Registered
61 Posts
you'd want to wait for the FBI clearance because its only valid for 1 year and your visa may not be looked at past that time period. I opted to wait a few months after submission to start the FBI fingerprinting process.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Do people still mail in paper applications?

·
Registered
201 Posts
. The hardest part is getting the fingerprints in Australia, from what I hear.
I agree! I live in Melbourne and very few police stations in Melbourne do fingerprints. I called all of them and they all had long waiting times, at least a few months, so I went to Ballarat which is a town an hour and a half from Melbourne to get my fingerprints taken.

Please keep this in mind if you need to do fingerprints.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
As far as I know, partner visa applications are only done online now. I don't think paper applications are accepted any longer.

Reactions: Ejona
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.