Australia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Sorry this may be a long post and confusing as I am super confused!

I have been living with my partner since 2015, and registered our relationship in 2015. Due to covid we are looking at a return to Australia. We need a partner VISA for this. Or could i apply for a travel exemption and then do an onshore VISA???

The issue with our history is, I am an EXPAT in a same sex relationship, my company provides my rent, I have lived in: Vietnam, China, Thailand and then Vietnam again (my spouse is Vietnamese). As such though all rental information is included in my contract (they pay my rent) all my utilities are included in my contract. We have also evidence of joint payments etc.

We have loads of photos i mean loads 30K plus :) so am not worried about social aspect, but the witness of relationship we only have my family in Australia as we don't have roots there and have only visited once in 2017 and then due to covid 2019 and 2020 and 2021 visits were impossible at Xmas. Is having only my family ok?

With the photos we just chose some random holidays throughout our relationship, and pdfed them 2 trips per year i thought would be sufficient, in my statement i have mentioned the whole residential situation, and added a photograph of parcels (i know its a bit lame but couldn't think of anything else) and evidence of police registration (thank god for communist states needing police registration!)

I feel there's just not alot there for 6 years...... I dont know Advice is wlecome!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think you'll be fine! Many applicants have statutory declarations only from Australian side of the family and that's totally ok. Especially if your family met your partner in person.
Photos don't hold a lot of weight in terms of evidence. You didn't mention any financial proof. If you don't have a joint bank account make sure to attach bank statements and highlight any joint purchases or bank transfers.
Also, make sure to attach any joint travel evidence, any gifts to each other, any invitations to social events addressed to you as a couple and so on.

Often, it's more difficult to get a travel exemption than a partner visa.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you'll be fine! Many applicants have statutory declarations only from Australian side of the family and that's totally ok. Especially if your family met your partner in person.
Photos don't hold a lot of weight in terms of evidence. You didn't mention any financial proof. If you don't have a joint bank account make sure to attach bank statements and highlight any joint purchases or bank transfers.
Also, make sure to attach any joint travel evidence, any gifts to each other, any invitations to social events addressed to you as a couple and so on.

Often, it's more difficult to get a travel exemption than a partner visa.
Thanks for the reply, thats the issue, as a same sex couple we cant hold joint account here, and my contract handles everything apart form travel. We have some evidence of sending money to each other but thats about it TBH!

·
Registered
92 Posts
My partner and I also lived in Vietnam (both expats there) so we couldn't open a bank account and I got my onshore partner visa approved. We opened a joint bank account right after arriving in Australia before submitting the application. We also made wills (although we didn't own a lot and it felt a bit strange making a will in our twenties).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am needing a little advice please. I am an Australian resident and I have been living abroad for many, many years now. I have been with my partner since 2005 and we got married in 2014 and now have 2 children. We are looking into moving back to Australia. What Visa would apply to us and are the children included in this visa?
Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am needing a little advice please. I am an Australian resident and I have been living abroad for many, many years now. I have been with my partner since 2005 and we got married in 2014 and now have 2 children. We are looking into moving back to Australia. What Visa would apply to us and are the children included in this visa?
Thank you in advance.
Not enough information here to give a sensible response, but:
  • if you have lived abroad for ‘many, many years’ you are unlikely to still be a ‘permanent resident’
  • unless your partner is an Australian citizen, then your visa options may be limited.
  • I would get some professional advice tailored to your specific circumstances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not enough information here to give a sensible response, but:
  • if you have lived abroad for ‘many, many years’ you are unlikely to still be a ‘permanent resident’
  • unless your partner is an Australian citizen, then your visa options may be limited.
  • I would get some professional advice tailored to your specific circumstances.
I also have an Australian Passport... Do I still need to go through the whole process?

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Hello everyone,
Thank you in advance.
I also have an Australian Passport... Do I still need to go through the whole process?
I think you might need a lot of advice and help.

You confused the first question by saying you were an Australian resident, when you now say you are an Australian citizen.

As a citizen you can sponsor your partner for the 309/100 or the 820/801 partner visa.

Your partner applies for the visa, and includes the children, and you complete a sponsor application. Your Australian passport is sufficient to allow you entry.

Paul Hand, who replied earlier, is a Registered Migration Agent.

Reactions: paulhand

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you might need a lot of advice and help.

You confused the first question by saying you were an Australian resident, when you now say you are an Australian citizen.

As a citizen you can sponsor your partner for the 309/100 or the 820/801 partner visa.

Your partner applies for the visa, and includes the children, and you complete a sponsor application. Your Australian passport is sufficient to allow you entry.

Paul Hand, who replied earlier, is a Registered Migration Agent.

Thank you for your response. But how do I know which partner visa I need to apply for?

·
Registered
6,083 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have loads of photos i mean loads 30K plus :) so am not worried about social aspect, but the witness of relationship we only have my family in Australia as we don't have roots there and have only visited once in 2017 and then due to covid 2019 and 2020 and 2021 visits were impossible at Xmas. Is having only my family ok?
If you have lived together for seven years, you will probably be able to gather enough evidence to prove you did so. But if you are struggling to provide evidence in one area, I would provide extra evidence through the statutory declarations. They don't necessarily need to be from Australians (although that is what immigration prefers I think). We couldn't provide any Australian stat decs, so provided five from the country we lived in instead of the minimum of two and it was all fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My partner and I also lived in Vietnam (both expats there) so we couldn't open a bank account and I got my onshore partner visa approved. We opened a joint bank account right after arriving in Australia before submitting the application. We also made wills (although we didn't own a lot and it felt a bit strange making a will in our twenties).
https://seriale.best
It sounds very interesting and promising. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts