Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

(I've already posted this in Mark's pinned thread, but just in case he's too busy I'd like to re-post here if that's ok. If I'm breaking any rules please call me out since this is my first time posting on a forum!)

My question is quite simple, but for some reason it's really difficult navigating the DIBP's website.

My situation:

I'm currently on the 1st stage of applying for the 820 Partner Visa, but I'm the 2nd person my partner has sponsored. His ex-girlfriend was sponsored successfully around 7-9 years ago, back when it was a paper application. The problem is that both of them don't have any clue as to when the visa was granted or any reference number that they might have received (details asked in the application I'm working on now). Unfortunately she shredded all the documentation when she became an Australian citizen.

Do you know who I (or my partner's ex-girlfriend) can contact to find this old, inactive visa information? I've tried calling, filling out different enquiry forms, but no luck.

Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Both parties can do a FOI request to retrieve information about the previous applications. Because the request will involve a third party (their ex-partner) the information provided to each party will be very limited, as all information relating to the other party cannot not be disclosed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both parties can do a FOI request to retrieve information about the previous applications. Because the request will involve a third party (their ex-partner) the information provided to each party will be very limited, as all information relating to the other party cannot not be disclosed.
Hi CCMS,

Thanks for the advice. If the ex-partner were to look for her own old visa records, she wouldn't need an FOI request right? Would you know who she can talk to instead?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi CCMS,

Thanks for the advice. If the ex-partner were to look for her own old visa records, she wouldn't need an FOI request right? Would you know who she can talk to instead?
The only way to do it is through a FOI request, I think. They won't give that information over the phone, even if you managed to find someone who actually has access to the records. FOI is free, but it may take a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip, I managed to find the 424a form, so I'll try to get it processed as soon as possible. Hopefully they'll find all the information before my ETA expires..

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I managed to find the 424a form, so I'll try to get it processed as soon as possible. Hopefully they'll find all the information before my ETA expires..
If you run out of time, you can always lodge the application and add a note about the missing information with the FOI receipt.

Just make sure that you partner is not subject to the sponsor limitation, i.e. the partner visa application she sponsored was lodged at least 5 years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, I'm definitely more relieved now that I know I can just send the FOI receipt.

We're pretty sure there won't be any problems with his sponsorship, since he definitely lodged his sponsorship application over 5 years ago, but I read somewhere on the DIBP website that his sponsorship lasts for 2 years after the visa was granted. That's why I'm a bit worried, since we have no idea when his ex-girlfriend was granted her visa (and do they mean Temporary or Permanent visa?) . However, it does say on the DIBP website that they "may still be able to be a sponsor" even with these limitations if our relationship has been longer than 2 years, which it has.. so really this might be nothing to worry about.

If only they didn't say "may still be able..."

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Ah, I'm definitely more relieved now that I know I can just send the FOI receipt.

We're pretty sure there won't be any problems with his sponsorship, since he definitely lodged his sponsorship application over 5 years ago, but I read somewhere on the DIBP website that his sponsorship lasts for 2 years after the visa was granted. That's why I'm a bit worried, since we have no idea when his ex-girlfriend was granted her visa (and do they mean Temporary or Permanent visa?) . However, it does say on the DIBP website that they "may still be able to be a sponsor" even with these limitations if our relationship has been longer than 2 years, which it has.. so really this might be nothing to worry about.

If only they didn't say "may still be able..."
Just ignore all the nonsense on the DIBP website. It is often incorrect or at best ambiguous and confusing. Not sure where the 2 year sponsorship duration comes from, but i think you're mixing up different issues.

This is the simple rule. You can only sponsor twice. Five years must have passed since the previous application was lodged and the next one is decided.

Ideally you would provide all the information re. previous partners and sponsors with the application. If you can't do that for whatever reason, include a detailed statement explaining why the information is not available and what you are doing to obtain it (FOI receipt).

Unless you are 100 % that your sponsor is not subject to the sponsorship limitation, you should not proceed with the application.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perfect answer to this confusing topic, I wish that the DIBP website was more clear like this. My partner definitely lodged his first sponsorship application more than 5 years ago, so I'll have nothing to worry about in that regard.

Thanks so much for helping, I'm really impressed with this forum!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.