Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new on here wife and I are fingers crossed going to oz when we get spouse visa for the wife. We live in Greece as you can see Greece has gone through tough times and a place I wouldn't want to raise kids when we do have them I wanna give our children a good chance. I was born in Sydney and moved over to Greece in 1990. Opened a business for the tourist season was a very good business restaurant but now things have changed and it's gone down hill. Met my wife here while she was on holiday. We got married last year in January and now have lodged for a spouse visa in London office we used a agent as well august we have lodged the spouse visa 309 we had a response to pay for the application and to provide more evidence of living together we sent more evidence bills rental agreement letters from people whatever we could then we also went to Athens did medicals sent them in and police checks. We are now waiting still and in limbo land as we can't book tickets send stuff over till we know the outcome. I see alot of success stories here and am so pleased for people. If I didn't mention my wife is from England London. I was wondering how do you keep patient what do you do when you want answers?do I keep bugging my migration officer that I paid a grand for. Do I email my case officer?any help would be fantastic than you in advance.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Many if not most people on this forum and others take the DIY approach and that then helps them understand the process, the type of information that should be supplied and what the time involved may be.
And then we have people posting every so often about problems with agents, the quality of agents obviously varying but if you have used an agent and then they are asking for additional information, that straight away tells me something of an agent.
Have a read of Partner Visa: Offshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 309 and 100) and Booklet #1 if you haven't already and though a partner visa may normally for a low risdk country take anywhere from 3-6 months, sometimes quicker if a good complete application has been submitted, a less than good application can see times blow out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have to agree with Wanderer, that as you have an agent, and yet were not aware that the Application would not be processed unless payment is made, the need for further proof etc., is a bit of a worry.
Good advice from Wanderer to read the Booklet and 'Partner Visa/Offshore.'
then perhaps politely ask your Agent, what exactly they are doing for you for that $1,000......

Take care, read the instructions, if anything is confusing contact the Australian Embassy in London and just ask for advice - I found the staff at the Washington Embassy very helpful. We did our own Application and I called them maybe 4 times before I sent in the Application with all the appropriate paperwork.
Before I would call I would make a list of the questions, so the call would be quick and not a babbling conversation that would be time-wasting for them.
The only contact we had with our CO was an email from him, and then an email from us.
they are very busy with so many Applications that constantly calling them can take time away from processing all those Visas.

however I think that if your are concerned, and a phone call would put your mind at ease.....then call! Just not all the time!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Chrissie has taken a good approach but one thing you now need to be aware of is that if you are signed on with an agent, you basically ought to stick with them on the communication side unless you become totally dissatisfied with them.
There is provision for you to advise Immigration people that you now want to be the point of contact and you use a form 956 for that but if your application is now submitted, there's not much more you can do other than wait and if you attempt to make contact when the agent is the authorised contact, that can only help to confuse and delay.
Hopefully, your application was not submitted by the agent until it was complete and perhaps it was before submission that they were extracting more info from you and if that is the case, then they were doing their job but as you can see, it has probably just added to total time for Immi processing time only starts with submission of an application.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hello wanderer and chrissie thankyou for your replies we sent everything to the migration officer that he asked for when he sent them in a fewcdays later we got a reply that a case officer was on our case so I said to my wife let's call and see how long the prrocess takes when we did my wife spoke to the c/o and he said he needed more proof of us living together he didn't want anymore pics we had also sent in flight tickets but some things where still missing in our file due to our migration officer not putting it all together sending in bits and bobs he was on holidays when we did send more stuff but we don't know why he didn't send everything together the c/o also said not to go for medicles my wife said why as we have booked a appointment he said because he just needed some more proof on the living together but then he said if you have already booked fair enough. He was missing my birth certificate he wanted a police check from here Greece as well our declarations more bills in our names basically as much more proof that we live together.we then called our migration officer because my wife was worried we did something wrong and he went mad saying don't call them as they try to trick you with questions and you won't know how to answer and that's why I'm here now this is over a month ago. Since then we have gone for the medicals got our police check sent loads more info bills joint bank statements joint rental agreements friends statements etc oh and they had given us the c/o 49 days to send more info we did in ten days that was 3 weeks ago when we sent the added info. We called our migration officer and he keeps saying don't worry etc I said to him what's going on he said there just taking a bit more time maybe just ringing different agencies to check our passports our certificates birth etc they do that. Then we called again a week later any news he said again don't worry maybe because me as a Australian that hasn't been back to oz for over 19 years they think I might claim on benefits so he said would I sign a bond agreement if needed A 10000 dollar bond that if I signed on centrelink I lostt it within two years I said I would if needed as I have a business here and don't need to sign on and we are going for a new life in oz not to scrounge off the centerlink he said look I don't know if that's the case but just a few guesses but don't worry. Then a few days later I emailed him again to see if he called any news he said they received the medicals don't worry all ok that was his email nothing to confirm to us what exactly is all ok? Also in another phone call to him I said shall I call my case officer myself he said no don't as he does that. So my friends sorry for my boring story but we are really just waiting and we feel we have given what they needed but I don't know what else too do. I thank you for your time chrissie and wanderer you do make a difference for many of us worrying thankyou.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Sounds to me like you got yourself a bit of a hopeless agent for if you have a look at an application form and the Checklist, supplying a copy of a birth certificate is very standard.
And as for Immi people trying to trick people, all they want is for people to put in an accurate and complete application.
If the application was only lodged in August, and you have already had a CO looking at it and have supplied additional information, that's at least a good start for as I've said above total processing time can be a number of months and you just need to have some patience.
The agent does not seem to know what they are talking about re the bond for what will happen is if Immi feel that you need to have an Assurer of Sponsorship, you would be requested to find a relative or a friend in Australia to become an Assurer but it is up to Immi to request that and one way of keeping tabs on your agent is to make sure that they provide you with a copy of any requests from Immi.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your reply wanderer yes it's been 2 months and I suppose we are just scared and in patient at the moment just when you have all your plans and dreams hanging in the balance or on someones desktop you feel what can I do more. I mean I wanna ring and see what's going on but it's the migration officers job and he doesn't want us to contact the officer. We might be flying out to London at the end of this month if we haven't heard of anything do you think it's a good job to go see the case officer in person and ask what's going on?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I'd doubt that you would be able to see the CO and you need to realise that a CO is handling many applications simultaneously.
It is not just as simple as an application sitting there waiting for a CO to look at but with say 20 or 30 or more on the go at any one time, there will be something like a rotational queue where the next one in line will need to have a step in the process attended to and that may mean an enquiry or a request going off and once that has been activated, it's back on to the merry go round and the next one attended to.
Given the communication standard to date you ought be thankful for what progress has already occurred and if you want to start doing the communication with Immi, get yourself down as the nominated contact rather than the agent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello wanderer so how do we get ourselves down to getting emails from the c/o because the migration officer is dealing with them but I done trust him because he seems to have too much going on to remember things that we have told him or asked him. Your right we have a stupid migration agent. It is a straightforward case just hope it doesn't end up a nightmare.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I posted earlier
There is provision for you to advise Immigration people that you now want to be the point of contact and you use a form 956
and also to have a good read of what is on the Immi site linked above otherwise your nightmare will become very real.
You can find all the forms via the menu on left of Immi pages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife says that we did fill in the 956 form for contact from the immi department to our migration officer we have received one email from our migration officer from the co saying he needed more stuff that was missing so we called and this is when the co told us what he wanted. We have given him everything he asked for but haven't heard back we asked the migration guy and he said he emailed the co and the respond from that was all ok don't worry they got medicals last week. Now too me that means nothing it's no straight answer. I have told my wife maybe we should just email the co ourselves? But I don't want to jinx stuff or get him annoyed that we emailed and bugging him. If we do email is there a way we can guess what's going on if he needs anything else without being annoying? Thanks for your replies and time you have been great.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
You really need to get a grip on which way you want to run with this from here on in for
My wife says that we did fill in the 956 form for contact from the immi department to our migration officer
That implies that you want correspondence to be between the Immigration Case Officer and your Agent
You are basically agreeing to Immigration using your Agent as means of contact.

we asked the migration guy and he said he emailed the co and the respond from that was all ok don't worry they got medicals last week. Now too me that means nothing it's no straight answer.
And you will just support a three way I did, he did type confused scenario until the CO says bugger this, you have authorised your agent to be the contact and I am not going to be stuffed about because of lack of communication between an agent and their client.
If I was the CO, I would not have even responded to you.

If you want you or your wife to be the nominated contact, you need to specify that
So do that if you intend as per your statement:
I have told my wife maybe we should just email the co ourselves?
And use another Form 956 or just put up with waiting and contact via your agent.
But I don't want to jinx stuff or get him annoyed that we emailed and bugging him. If we do email is there a way we can guess what's going on if he needs anything else without being annoying?
And again you need to absorb that a visa application is one of many being considered simultaneously and so there are weeks or even months between different steps and if you nominate yourself as the contact now you do not need to be otherwise contacting the CO for when they need any additional information it will be asked for or if there is a decision made you will be advised.
Absolutely no need or point in guessing at what is going on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello wanderer I called him this morning our agent to confirm he sent everything as I have sent he said he spoke too co for 5 minutes and was told he had everything so I said is everything everything I sent you he said yes yes everything I asked him what else he needed and he said if I had anything through the post etc in the last three weeks just send it scan it through and he would take it. We didn't call the co but we can't think of anything else to send I mean we even sent a letter from the local council confirming that we do live at the address we are for the last two years. I know they have tons of cases and maybe we are just worrying for nothing but if something went wrong then I couldn't live with the fact that maybe I could have done something better. It's tough as well when most of the bills are in my name but we do have two joint bank accounts and rental agreements together. Sorry wanderer for being a pain as you must hear so many moans and worries. Just thankyou for being a person that knows how to help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My wife called co in the afternoon he said he had received everything and also spoke to our agent he said everything looks good from where I'm sitting he just needs to assess the file further because he has only gone through it briefly but if he needs anything else he will send email to our agent. He seemed really nice my wife said so it sort of put a nice hope for us and lifted our spirits fingers crossed. Also I know they are so busy but the second part of the rest of the documents he needed that where missing he got only three weeks ago. Thanks again wanderer for your replies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.