Australia Forum banner

5841 - 5860 of 5916 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All,

Maybe I'm just screaming into an echo chamber here, but where else can I air frustrations where people will understand? My partner and I are getting increasingly frustrated by the wait for my 801 visa and it seems there's a lot of people in the same boat? Are we crazy here?

Lodged official onshore application for de facto 820/801 - Sept 2017
Received 820 grant - August 2018
Uploaded all continuing information - Sept 2019
Second AFP check because first one expired - October 2020

Our application has said "further assessment" since Feb 2020 (I check spam and my actual immi account weekly, there's no outstanding documents and yes, my partner (sponsor) has uploaded a stat dec)

It's been 20 months now waiting for the 801. I've called immi many times and one time I was patched through to an angel on earth who actually took my passport number and assured me she saw no outstanding documents and said she'd flag our application for a case officer. That was 3 weeks ago. Since then I've written a very kind message in the suggestions/complains/compliments to which I received an automated "your application is within processing times" but now our application is 3 months over processing times. What gives? We've been together since 2013.

I know that no one here can give me the most direct answers, I guess I'm just frustrated seeing people who initially lodged in 2019 getting their 801s. Ours is a straight forward case (as far as I understand) and although we don't have assets like cars, mortgage, and we don't have children, we have more than enough evidence of our partnership. wahh! I just feel a bit like I'm going bonkers!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Hi All,

Maybe I'm just screaming into an echo chamber here, but where else can I air frustrations where people will understand? My partner and I are getting increasingly frustrated by the wait for my 801 visa and it seems there's a lot of people in the same boat? Are we crazy here?

Our application has said "further assessment" since Feb 2020 (I check spam and my actual immi account weekly, there's no outstanding documents and yes, my partner (sponsor) has uploaded a stat dec)

It's been 20 months now waiting for the 801. I've called immi many times and one time I was patched through to an angel on earth who actually took my passport number and assured me she saw no outstanding documents and said she'd flag our application for a case officer. That was 3 weeks ago. Since then I've written a very kind message in the suggestions/complains/compliments to which I received an automated "your application is within processing times" but now our application is 3 months over processing times. What gives? We've been together since 2013.

I know that no one here can give me the most direct answers, I guess I'm just frustrated seeing people who initially lodged in 2019 getting their 801s. Ours is a straight forward case (as far as I understand) and although we don't have assets like cars, mortgage, and we don't have children, we have more than enough evidence of our partnership. wahh! I just feel a bit like I'm going bonkers!
The system appears bonkers at the moment, it's not you.

Case officers have a priority to finalise about 72,300 partner visas by the end of June, otherwise the opposition will hammer the government.

That number appears to be made up of 18,000 subclass 309s and 54,000 subclass 820s.

I am guessing that most 801s might have to wait until July, when the political pressure is off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The system appears bonkers at the moment, it's not you.

Case officers have a priority to finalise about 72,300 partner visas by the end of June, otherwise the opposition will hammer the government.

That number appears to be made up of 18,000 subclass 309s and 54,000 subclass 820s.

I am guessing that most 801s might have to wait until July, when the political pressure is off.
Hi JandE, where is this data coming from? The budget indicates that additional places have been allocated to meeting the permanent migration cap of 160,000. Please let me know.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Hi JandE, where is this data coming from? The budget indicates that additional places have been allocated to meeting the permanent migration cap of 160,000. Please let me know.
The 160,000 is the total migration program, of which 72,300 are partner visas.

Those numbers had me confused for a while, thinking that the Permanent migration program meant permanent visas. However, for the partner visas in the program, they use wording that states they count the first stage of the Permanent visa, ie: 309 and 820.

I do wonder if a person who gets the 820 amd 801 at the same time, counts as 2 of those 72,300 grants!

·
Registered
17 Posts

Those numbers had me confused for a while, thinking that the Permanent migration program meant permanent visas. However, for the partner visas in the program, they use wording that states they count the first stage of the Permanent visa, ie: 309 and 820.

I do wonder if a person who gets the 820 amd 801 at the same time, counts as 2 of those 72,300 grants!
Hmm interesting. The home affairs site is unclear regarding which partner visa is built into to 160k cap. Did you have a link to this purely out of curiosity?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi All,

Have you uploaded again those documents for your 801 application?

• 3. What information do I need to submit?
  • ? Your online application form through ImmiAccount: https://online.immi.gov.au/lusc/login
  • ? A copy of the biodata page in your current passport
  • ? Your sponsor’s statutory declaration in support of your relationship
  • ? Your sponsor’s current passport or other valid identity document

• ? Statutory declarations or Form 888s from two Australian citizens or permanent residents, including evidence that they are Australian citizens or permanent residents:https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/form-listing/forms/888.pdf
  • ? Evidence of your relationship with your sponsor since the grant of your Temporary Partner visa. If there is a child of the relationship please upload a copy of the child’s birth certificate.
  • See information on gathering your documents:https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/vis...a-listing/partner-onshore/permanent-801#HowTo
  • ? A penal certificate for any country outside Australia in which you have resided cumulatively for 12 months or more since the grant of the Temporary Partner visa.
  • See: Character requirements for visas

• There are limits to the number of document files you can upload through your ImmiAccount. Please ensure that you provide the most relevant documentation and evidence for your application. Information on attaching documents to your application can be found on the Department’s website: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/applying-online-or-on-paper/online

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Hmm interesting. The home affairs site is unclear regarding which partner visa is built into to 160k cap. Did you have a link to this purely out of curiosity?
It has been very unclear, until I located something relevant.

2019-20 Australian Migration Program Planning Levels shows 39,799 Partner visas in the Family Stream.

Then when the outcomes report came out, there is this wording shown on page 50 of the 2019 – 20 Migration Program Report (PDF) stating: "Note 2: Activity includes provisional (first stage) permanent migration applications only". This refers to the number of Partner visas outcomes as 37,118.

Then, a February 2021 Freedom of Information report (FA 21/02/00541) shows the following:

38,022 Total 309 and 820 temporary partner visas granted in the year. (Not that much different to the number reported in the 2019-20 Migration Program Outcome.)

and

65,560 Total 100 and 801 Permanent Partner visas. (This was almost 30,000 more than the number reported in the 2019-20 Migration Program Outcome.)

From that information, it seems the numbers confirm the statement "Activity includes provisional (first stage) permanent migration applications only".

Actual grant numbers updated by February 2021 for the 2019-20 year:
22,054 subclass 100 Permanent Partner visas.
43,506 subclass 801 Permanent Partner visas.
11,702 subclass 309 Partner visas.
26,320 subclass 820 Partner visas.
1,667 subclass 300 Prospective marriage visas.

Reactions: Bella2019

·
Registered
17 Posts

If you check out this link, it seems only permanent counts to the 160k cap:

Page 30 - table 11 shows 39,794 partner visas delivered to 31 March 2021

Page 38 - figure 16 shows just under 40,000 second stage finalisations to 31 March 2021. Figure 15 has 45,000 stage 1 finalisations.

Based on these numbers it looks like only the permanent figures are counting towards the cap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It has been very unclear, until I located something relevant.

2019-20 Australian Migration Program Planning Levels shows 39,799 Partner visas in the Family Stream.

Then when the outcomes report came out, there is this wording shown on page 50 of the 2019 – 20 Migration Program Report (PDF) stating: "Note 2: Activity includes provisional (first stage) permanent migration applications only". This refers to the number of Partner visas outcomes as 37,118.

Then, a February 2021 Freedom of Information report (FA 21/02/00541) shows the following:

38,022 Total 309 and 820 temporary partner visas granted in the year. (Not that much different to the number reported in the 2019-20 Migration Program Outcome.)

and

65,560 Total 100 and 801 Permanent Partner visas. (This was almost 30,000 more than the number reported in the 2019-20 Migration Program Outcome.)

From that information, it seems the numbers confirm the statement "Activity includes provisional (first stage) permanent migration applications only".

Actual grant numbers updated by February 2021 for the 2019-20 year:
22,054 subclass 100 Permanent Partner visas.
43,506 subclass 801 Permanent Partner visas.
11,702 subclass 309 Partner visas.
26,320 subclass 820 Partner visas.
1,667 subclass 300 Prospective marriage visas.
Sorry only just saw this and replied to the wrong one. Your numbers make sense and I think mine do too... this is all very unclear and I feel it is ambiguous on purpose.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Sorry only just saw this and replied to the wrong one. Your numbers make sense and I think mine do too... this is all very unclear and I feel it is ambiguous on purpose.
The person whose job it is to make it ambiguous, is very good at his/her job...

I think different reports use different subclass groups. The numbers also confuse as they count applicant and dependents in some figures, not just the number of applications. So, the 37,118 grants in the Outcomes report, could be the 38,022 people that were granted per the FoI report.

This is the one that states they use 1st stage in the final outcomes reports.

2019-20 Outcomes page 50.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you uploaded again those documents for your 801 application?

• 3. What information do I need to submit?
  • ? Your online application form through ImmiAccount: https://online.immi.gov.au/lusc/login
  • ? A copy of the biodata page in your current passport
  • ? Your sponsor’s statutory declaration in support of your relationship
  • ? Your sponsor’s current passport or other valid identity document

• ? Statutory declarations or Form 888s from two Australian citizens or permanent residents, including evidence that they are Australian citizens or permanent residents:https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/form-listing/forms/888.pdf
  • ? Evidence of your relationship with your sponsor since the grant of your Temporary Partner visa. If there is a child of the relationship please upload a copy of the child’s birth certificate.
  • See information on gathering your documents:https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/vis...a-listing/partner-onshore/permanent-801#HowTo
  • ? A penal certificate for any country outside Australia in which you have resided cumulatively for 12 months or more since the grant of the Temporary Partner visa.
  • See: Character requirements for visas

• There are limits to the number of document files you can upload through your ImmiAccount. Please ensure that you provide the most relevant documentation and evidence for your application. Information on attaching documents to your application can be found on the Department’s website: Applying online in ImmiAccount
Yep! We uploaded all of that information in September 2019 (continuing information) + I upload little bits and pieces (utility bills, life updates, photos) every 2 months since 09/2019.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I think different reports use different subclass groups. The numbers also confuse as they count applicant and dependents in some figures, not just the number of applications. So, the 37,118 grants in the Outcomes report, could be the 38,022 people that were granted per the FoI report.

Yep, looks like you are correct in that different reporting methods talking to different subclasses. I've been looking on the department website and can't find anything that defines particular visa subclasses that count towards the cap. I guess we will get more information after that financial year when numbers come in.

I am even more confused now when looking at figure 16 which indicates over 70,000 second stage partner visas were finalised in 2019-20, when the target was was less than 40,000. I don't think I will put much weight on this report lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi All,

Hi All,

Mate as i said I’ve got two kids 7 years together we bought house and car we got mortgage in both name living expenses kids school fee paying tax since 2011 and 10 month ago applied for stage 2.
Talk to your local MP.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Hey JandE, coincidentally some answers to questions on notice have arrived with the exact obscurity we are talking about:

Part (b) on the second last page notes that the partner planning level allocation is for first stage only (300, 309, 820). Second stage is not counted as the first stage has already been counted to the planning cap. Looks like your information was correct!

So based on the data in the March 31 report, there are going to be another 30,000 odd first stages to be granted between March 31 and June 30, with most of them being 820s. This seems consistent with the high levels of 820s I have been seeing granted.

I suppose its good luck to anyone waiting for a stage 2...

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Hey JandE, coincidentally some answers to questions on notice have arrived with the exact obscurity we are talking about:

Part (b) on the second last page notes that the partner planning level allocation is for first stage only (300, 309, 820). Second stage is not counted as the first stage has already been counted to the planning cap. Looks like your information was correct!

So based on the data in the March 31 report, there are going to be another 30,000 odd first stages to be granted between March 31 and June 30, with most of them being 820s. This seems consistent with the high levels of 820s I have been seeing granted.

I suppose its good luck to anyone waiting for a stage 2...
The bottom line looks like few 801 or 100 grants, unless as a double grant with 820 or 309, before the end of June.

But more 820 grants, for those fully front loaded, and maybe 309s too.

Not sure if the 300 would be classed, even though Part (b) did say it was included as a first stage. The 300 is a confusing one, being sometimes mentioned as a partner visa group, but excluded from partner visa groups in other reports.

Being granted the 300, we became eligible to apply for first stage partner visa 820, only after getting married.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to share my timeline here, i have been following this group religiously for the last few months, hope you find it helpful:
I am from England, Partner is Aussie.
Applied 820 March 30th 2019 - front loaded application, uploaded updates every 3 month or so
Granted May 7th 2020 (13.5 months) - no RFI
Applied for 801 visa 2nd March 2021
Emailed the vic processing email to ask for grant as i wanted to apply for a NSW government role that requires permanent residency and also looking to buy a house, but were limited with lenders due to my being classed as high risk, only received generic response email 22nd April
Sent through complaint through my partner as sponsor via the link provided above, stating it was frustrating to see people getting grants with lesser relationship and visa application timelines, again reiterated about trying to get a job with NSW gov and home loan, received generic response we are within timeframes etc. 21st May 2021
Got my visa grant about 10 mins ago! 1/06/2021
So over the moon and crying many happy tears

I have been with my partner 4 years in july, we have a daughter (6 months) and plenty of evidence of our relationship dating back to when we met (opal statements showing us visiting each others houses before we moved in together, phone bills showing calls from day 1, payments we had split for ubers etc). All our 888 forms were completed by family members on both sides too which i have heard adds more weight than forms just from friends.

Wishing speedy grants to all those still waiting, especially those with kids and who have been waiting much longer for their grants

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just wanted to share my timeline here, i have been following this group religiously for the last few months, hope you find it helpful:
Applied 820 March 30th 2019 - front loaded application, uploaded updates every 3 month or so
Emailed the vic processing email to ask for grant as i wanted to apply for a NSW government role that requires permanent residency and also looking to buy a house, but were limited with lenders due to my being classed as high risk, only received generic response email 22nd April
Sent through complaint through my partner as sponsor via the link provided above, stating it was frustrating to see people getting grants with lesser relationship and visa application timelines, again reiterated about trying to get a job with NSW gov and home loan, received generic response we are within timeframes etc. 21st May 2021

I have been with my partner 4 years in july, we have a daughter (6 months) and plenty of evidence of our relationship dating back to when we met (opal statements showing us visiting each others houses before we moved in together, phone bills showing calls from day 1, payments we had split for ubers etc). All our 888 forms were completed by family members on both sides too which i have heard adds more weight than forms just from friends.

Wishing speedy grants to all those still waiting, especially those with kids and who have been waiting much longer for their grants
Many congrats! so exciting :) could you provide the email you wrote to and the link your partner wrote on? I want to make sure I've contacted immi in every way I can. Thank you!

·
Registered
154 Posts

Hi let me share my experience when I bought my house on visa 309 does a matter with visa 820 or 309 or permanet residency evenn if you get you pre- approval from bank you need to pay surcharge which means 8%percentage of your share I’m not talking about stamp duty it’s call surcharge let me explain to you properly you’ve got your 820 /309 or Pr you need to meet requirement which is mean you need stay ot settle in australia at least 200 days past your visa subclass 820 309 or permanent residency then you are part of exemption and no need to pay when you buy the house with your partner and yearly fee of your share surcharge if you buy house for 700k 8% surcharge at the begging and 2% yearly surcharge fee it’s depends how long past from you grant Pr 820 309 100 0r 801 need at least 200 days = about 6 month for more info go to nsw revenue if you are planing to buy house in nsw and most likely you are exempt but you need to proof by calling them and send them your visa by uploading in your profile they will give you client Id
But make sure before you buy house apply for examption.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Surcharge for individuals
Foreign buyers who purchase residential property in NSW must pay an additional 8% surcharge purchaser duty on top of any transfer duty.
You don’t have to pay the duty if you are an Australian citizen.
You're also exempt from the duty if you meet one of the residence requirements set out below, and:
  • you're an Australian permanent resident
  • you're a New Zealand citizen with a subclass 444 visa, or
  • you hold a partner (provisional) visa (subclass 309 or 820).
From 1 July 2019, you're also exempt from the duty if you meet the requirements when holding a retirement visa (subclass 405 or 410).
Find out more about the different types of visas on the Department of Home Affairs website.
Ordinarily resident requirement
If you fall into one of the categories of foreign buyers potentially exempt from surcharge purchaser duty, you won’t have to pay the surcharge if you’re ‘ordinarily resident’ in Australia.
This means you’ve lived in Australia for at least 200 days within 12 months before the purchase date. The days you enter and exit Australia count towards the 200 days total.
Permanent resident requirement
If you’re a permanent resident, including a New Zealand citizen with a subclass 444 visa, you’ll qualify for an exemption even where you don’t meet the ‘ordinarily resident’ requirement, so long as you:
  • live there continuously for at least 200 days within 12 months from the date of the contract
  • live there as your principal place of residence, and
  • buy as an individual, not as a company or trust.
Retirement visa holder requirement
From 1 July 2019, if you're a retirement visa holder (subclass 405 or 410), you'll qualify for an exemption (even though you're a temporary visa holder) if you:
  • live there continuously for at least 200 days within 12 months from the date of the transaction and
  • live there as your principal place of residence and
  • buy as an individual, not as a company or trust.
This exemption does not apply to transactions before 1 July 2019.
Temporary visa holders
If you hold a temporary Australian visa that’s subject to limitations, such as an end date:
  • you’ll always be considered a foreign buyer (unless you're a retirement visa holder), and
  • you must pay the surcharge regardless of whether you meet other residence requirements.
Apply for a refund
If you’ve paid the foreign purchaser surcharge but can prove that you and any other person you bought with qualifies for an exemption, you can apply for a refund. Contact us to find out how you can apply.
Contact us
Contact us for more information on your status as a foreign buyer, and have questions on whether you’ll need to pay the surcharge.

5841 - 5860 of 5916 Posts