Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive lived in Australia since 2003.
Recieved my PR 2005.

Left Australia for 2 years to live in home country.

My family lives in Australia and i know when im older i want to live in Australia.

I want to live in Japan to continue studying and also travel around while im still young.

However, i can not do that as i have to be in Australia for at least 3 years out of 5 years to keep my PR and apply for RV.

I thought about applying for citizenship but due to changes last year i am not eligible unless i stay here for at least 3 years.

But by then im nearly 30 years old, and i personally feel its quite too old to be doing what i want to do now.

So question is once your PR expires, meaning ive left australia for more then 3 years and could not apply for RV, what happens?
Can i really not come back? Even when my family lives in Australia?(half pr and half citizenship)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Recieved my PR 2005.

My family lives in Australia and i know when im older i want to live in Australia.

I want to live in Japan to continue studying and also travel around while im still young.

However, i can not do that as i have to be in Australia for at least 3 years out of 5 years to keep my PR and apply for RV.

I thought about applying for citizenship but due to changes last year i am not eligible unless i stay here for at least 3 years.

But by then im nearly 30 years old, and i personally feel its quite too old to be doing what i want to do now.

So question is once your PR expires, meaning ive left australia for more then 3 years and could not apply for RV, what happens?
Can i really not come back? Even when my family lives in Australia?(half pr and half citizenship)
I can't answer the specifics of the question, but I hope this little bit of information can help you.

This is from the Home Affairs website.

Normally, as a permanent resident, your visa will let you leave and come back into Australia for up to five years from the date it was granted. After five years, if you want to leave and return to Australia as a permanent resident, you must have a Five Year Resident Return visa.
From your post, it seems like you've had PR for a very long time, almost 13 years, is that correct? If so you might consider speaking to a good Australian based RMA. There is a thread here with the ones who frequent these forums.

According to the Home Affairs website, you may need a RRV, s/c 155/157.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
You really have to decide what you want to do with your life. As far as I know, Japanese cannot have dual nationality, so even taking out Australian citizenship may not be a solution for you.

Surely spending 2 years out of every 5 in Australia cannot be that difficult to achieve ? It can be done in blocks over the 5 year period, it does not have to be a continuous 2 year period, so all you need is some good planning around your studies and travels.

The rules for RRV are quite clear. There are some ways to regain a RRV if you haven't met the residency requirement, but it is not something I recommend, as the outcome will be uncertain and will still require you to remain in Australia for a certain period once PR has been regained.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Recieved my PR 2005.

I can't answer the specifics of the question, but I hope this little bit of information can help you.

This is from the Home Affairs website.

Normally, as a permanent resident, your visa will let you leave and come back into Australia for up to five years from the date it was granted. After five years, if you want to leave and return to Australia as a permanent resident, you must have a Five Year Resident Return visa.
From your post, it seems like you've had PR for a very long time, almost 13 years, is that correct? If so you might consider speaking to a good Australian based RMA. There is a thread here with the ones who frequent these forums.

According to the Home Affairs website, you may need a RRV, s/c 155/157.
Thank you very much for the link.
I have comtacted them and hopefully cant get a good answer!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You really have to decide what you want to do with your life. As far as I know, Japanese cannot have dual nationality, so even taking out Australian citizenship may not be a solution for you.

Surely spending 2 years out of every 5 in Australia cannot be that difficult to achieve ? It can be done in blocks over the 5 year period, it does not have to be a continuous 2 year period, so all you need is some good planning around your studies and travels.

The rules for RRV are quite clear. There are some ways to regain a RRV if you haven't met the residency requirement, but it is not something I recommend, as the outcome will be uncertain and will still require you to remain in Australia for a certain period once PR has been regained.
Yes Japan doesnt allow dual citizenship. I only had the freedom to travel around and study around after high school and university. I was 21 when i dropped out of uni and decided to go school in Japan. I was 22 when i finally had the money to leave. Im now 24. Its only now that i can try things and see what i want to do and see where i want to be. I know that i really have to make up my mind but its really hard. There so many things i want to do and its only now i can start because im finally old enough and also have have the money to do so.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Yes Japan doesnt allow dual citizenship. I only had the freedom to travel around and study around after high school and university. I was 21 when i dropped out of uni and decided to go school in Japan. I was 22 when i finally had the money to leave. Im now 24. Its only now that i can try things and see what i want to do and see where i want to be. I know that i really have to make up my mind but its really hard. There so many things i want to do and its only now i can start because im finally old enough and also have have the money to do so.
Don't worry, I fully understand where you're coming from. But if you give up your Japanese citizenship, how will you be able to live in Japan?

·
Registered
843 Posts
fyi the citizenship changes didn't go through, does that help?
Yes ive heard that but changes are still required. Apparenly theres nothing to stop the changes even though it didnt go through.
when they make changes they are only applied to from the proposed date not from applications already lodged.
from the way it's looking they will have to make a number of large changes to get it passed. and with these changes they can't make the changes arbitrarily. unlike visa price hikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.