Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a student from India.I applied for a student visa to pursue Ph.D. in Australia 8 months ago and till now I have heard nothing.I just want to know whether I will get a decision for my application or shall I move on.Please suggest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you email them? What did they say?
I mailed them a many times.The reply is checked by external agencies.They send the same mail many times only a few lines vary.I have deferred my admission more than 3 times now.Actually, I never thought that I will face this kind of situation before applying.Please suggest what I can do.In a very helpless situation.I left many other offers to accept this and I am this situation now.My family is worried and me too.Should they at least give a decision?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Immigration - Commonwealth Ombudsman[/url]
don't think they will open a case like this. but try anyway.

To skm91:
On second thought, I think you are very close to the outcome at this length of time waiting, so plz, as I said above, wait a little longer, while you should move on with other options. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,134 Posts
I mailed them a many times.The reply is checked by external agencies.They send the same mail many times only a few lines vary.I have deferred my admission more than 3 times now.Actually, I never thought that I will face this kind of situation before applying.Please suggest what I can do.In a very helpless situation.I left many other offers to accept this and I am this situation now.My family is worried and me too.Should they at least give a decision?
You have commented that they are replying to your emails.What do these emails actually say? as knowing the contents might give a clue as to the problem. All processing times are only "guidelines" and not guarantees .If they are waiting for replies from third parties, ie local security or law enforcement agencies for security checks, before they can make a decision there is precious little you can do.By all means lodge a complaint with the ombudsman, but don't expect them to take speedy action either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Based on ..?
Based on similar cases like this [I've seen myself]...and of course based on the information skm91 provided.

Further explained:
The reply is checked by external agencies.
from skm91
but don't expect them to take speedy action either.
from steve

Ombudsman can make sure there is nothing unfair going on within the process but won't accelerate your application processing.

[Assuming they do open a case for you] The most likely reply from Ombudsman is that "The case is truly being checked by external agencies, not delayed on purpose."

·
Super Moderator
2,134 Posts
Based on similar cases like this [I've seen myself]...and of course based on the information skm91 provided.

Further explained:
from skm91
from steve

Ombudsman can make sure there is nothing unfair going on within the process but won't accelerate your application processing.

[Assuming they do open a case for you] The most likely reply from Ombudsman is that "The case is truly being checked by external agencies, not delayed on purpose."
Thanks for the Clarification Taasdeev91.
On re reading the OP's original post it is now apparent that what the OP was saying they are awaiting external checks, which as we all no can take for ever!
As you said the Ombudsman can check to make sure due process is being followed but if it is then the fault lies with the OP's home country authorities, something we have seen happen many times before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the Clarification Taasdeev91.
On re reading the OP's original post it is now apparent that what the OP was saying they are awaiting external checks, which as we all no can take for ever!
As you said the Ombudsman can check to make sure due process is being followed but if it is then the fault lies with the OP's home country authorities, something we have seen happen many times before.
Yes, all you said.

And that's exactly why I suggest "Wait while move on with other options"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank You for all your suggestions.I hope visa get issued soon.I am sure there are many like me who are facing the same kind of delay.I hope for the best.Because 8 months is a very precious and lengthy time.I still have hope and I believe everything will be fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am a student from India.I applied for a student visa to pursue Ph.D. in Australia 8 months ago and till now I have heard nothing.I just want to know whether I will get a decision for my application or shall I move on.Please suggest.
I'm sailing in the exact same boat. Have applied my Visa in June and till now no response. As you said, I too contacted the DIBP several times, but got the same generic reply.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sailing in the exact same boat. Have applied my Visa in June and till now no response. As you said, I too contacted the DIBP several times, but got the same generic reply.
You applied for which university?And from when you are waiting?This delay is making my life hell.I hope Dibp gives a decision for such delays.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
It was not so long ago that 90% of student visa applications from the sub continent were refused, regardles of the merits of the case.

It has been reported that in the classified cabinet documents that were 'lost' and recently returned to ASIO by the ABC that an immigration minister (Scott Morrison) had asked ASIO to 'slow down' the processing of clearances. This might be a factor in yours and similar cases.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You applied for which university?And from when you are waiting?This delay is making my life hell.I hope Dibp gives a decision for such delays.
It's one of the top Australian universities bro and I'm waiting since June 2017. I can relate to your situation. I don't understand why DIBP is playing with our careers. Either say yes or no, but give a decision, so we can move on with life. More than 6 months is a really long period to just sit and wait for a decision.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It was not so long ago that 90% of student visa applications from the sub continent were refused, regardles of the merits of the case.

It has been reported that in the classified cabinet documents that were 'lost' and recently returned to ASIO by the ABC that an immigration minister (Scott Morrison) had asked ASIO to 'slow down' the processing of clearances. This might be a factor in yours and similar cases.
Sir but the delay in those clearances were related to Asylum seekers. I'm not able to figure out how this is causing a delay for student visas, especially research sector? Needless to say, PhD candidates have very different circumstances from those of refuse seekers. Most students land up anywhere after selecting and weighing from a pool of options.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.