Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found my girl friend last year and now we are engaged to each other. she is an australian citizen and im here in australia on a diplomatic visa subclass 995. However, my diplomatic visa is going to be expired in june 2018. we are planing to get married in may 2018 which is 1 month before my diplomatic visa expired. Do you think i have enough time to lodg spouse visa after we get married? is there a bridging visa for me to stay in australia without going back to my hometown (Cambodia) while waiting to get respond from immigration? We dont want a long distance relationship after married.

we need about 3 months to organize and books every thing for our wedding party, do you think i am running out of time? Please advise

Thank you

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Can you confirm what you mean by this statement " We dont want a long relationship after married."

Being married isn't a requirement for the partner visa. If you have been in a defacto relationship for a year you are eligable to apply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Can you confirm what you mean by this statement " We dont want a long distance relationship after married."

Being married isn't a requirement for the partner visa. If you have been in a defacto relationship for a year you are eligable to apply.
"We dont want a long relationship after married" im sorry i made a confusion on that. In case we dont have enough time to lodge the application and my diplomatic visa expired, i have to leave australia to avoid overstay.

What is the best option for me to remain with my fiancee if not partner visa?
One of my friend said spouse visa is they way i should go but i have no idea. What is the different between Defacto, Prospective and partner visa?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you confirm what you mean by this statement " We dont want a long relationship after married."

"We dont want a long relationship after married" sorry i made a mistake. It should be "Long Distance relationship"

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Defacto visa, partner visa, spouse visa, You will probably find they are all the same visa - 820/801 if you are applying onshore 309/100 if you are applying offshore. There is no difference between them it's the same visa.

PMV - 300 is an offshore visa for applicants wishing to get a visa to marry whilst onshore. Once married they are required to apply for an 820.

Assuming your diplomatic visa doesn't prevent you from applying for a new visa whilst onshore, assuming you have been in a defacto relationship for a year, assuming you meet all the other requirements then it sounds like an 820 visa would be your best option.

Further basic info on this visa can be found here - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/801-

I would suggest you don't make the same mistake when talking about relationships with immigration, the sentence you used above would be a huge red flag to the department. If you are prone to making that kind of error it would be adviseable to consider proffesional help with your application (Registered migration agent).

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
^^ What Mania said is correct - immigration will go through you application with a fine tooth comb. The simplest mistake like saying you don't want a long relationship after marriage can be the difference between an approval vs a rejection.

How long have you lived with your girlfriend? A spouse visa is not as simple as getting married, you get a lot of evidence to show immigration that your relationship in genuine and ongoing. These items can include things like joint bank accounts, joint bills, listing the other as beneficiary for super, listing them as a spouse on the ATO tax return, joint purchase of goods, joint lease, joint travel (accommodation in both your names) etc. As you can see it is not as simple as getting married so you need to make sure that you qualify for a spouse visa before you donate $7,000 to immigration.

You also need to make sure that your current visa does not have a no further stay clause on it, if it does then you will not be able to apply for another visa within Australia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.