Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Please help as I am a bit confused.
I am on my prospective marriage visa now and its valid to 27th of Nov.

I plan to leave Australia after my wedding in this August to my home country to spend few months with my family due to my fiance will start working in USA not long after our wedding.

Do I need to apply for partner visa 820 onshore before I leave Australia? Or I can apply for partner visa 309 when I'm in my home country?

If I apply for 820 onshore , can I still travel outside of Australia after applied?
For both 820 and 309 do I pay a reduced amoun:confused:confused:t ?
Thanks in advance

Daisy

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hi everyone,

Please help as I am a bit confused.
I am on my prospective marriage visa now and its valid to 27th of Nov.

I plan to leave Australia after my wedding in this August to my home country to spend few months with my family due to my fiance will start working in USA not long after our wedding.

Do I need to apply for partner visa 820 onshore before I leave Australia? Or I can apply for partner visa 309 when I'm in my home country?

If I apply for 820 onshore , can I still travel outside of Australia after applied?
For both 820 and 309 do I pay a reduced amoun:confused:confused:t ?
Thanks in advance

Daisy
You need to apply for a sc.820 visa in Australia after you are married and before your PMV expires. If you want to travel after you have applied for the sc. 820 you will need a bridging Visa B. Don't leave Australia without it ! There is a reduced fee for the sc. 820 if you are the holder of a PMV.

Most of this information should be in your PMV grant letter. Did you read it ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to apply for a sc.820 visa in Australia after you are married and before your PMV expires. If you want to travel after you have applied for the sc. 820 you will need a bridging Visa B. Don't leave Australia without it ! There is a reduced fee for the sc. 820 if you are the holder of a PMV.

Most of this information should be in your PMV grant letter. Did you read it ?
In my immi account, I can't view the grant letter. it says "The grant letter for this application cannot be viewed at this time. Please refer to correspondence" so I don't really know whats on it.
Can I apply for bridge visa B right after I lodged 820 visa or Do I have to wait for my prospective marriage visa runs out first then apply for bridge visa b?
What will happen if I leave Australia soon after I applied 820? Will that effect my 820 application ?

much thanks for yourhelp

daisy

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
In my immi account, I can't view the grant letter. it says "The grant letter for this application cannot be viewed at this time. Please refer to correspondence" so I don't really know whats on it.
Can I apply for bridge visa B right after I lodged 820 visa or Do I have to wait for my prospective marriage visa runs out first then apply for bridge visa b?
What will happen if I leave Australia soon after I applied 820? Will that effect my 820 application ?

much thanks for yourhelp

daisy
Hi Daisy,

They would have emailed you the grant letter as well. It is good idea to follow up on this and print out a copy for your records and for future reference. Note especially the expiry date !

Once you apply for the sc. 820 visa, you will be granted a bridging visa A, which has work rights, but no travel rights.The bridging visa A will come into effect once the sc. 300 ceases. You should apply for a bridging visa B 2 or 3 weeks before the intended date of departure.

The idea of applying for an onshore partner visa, is that you will be living in Australia. That doesn't mean that you can't travel, but there is a time limit on the bridging visa B travel facility. You need to be in Australia for the grant of the sc. 820 visa.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Daisy,

They would have emailed you the grant letter as well. It is good idea to follow up on this and print out a copy for your records and for future reference. Note especially the expiry date !

Once you apply for the sc. 820 visa, you will be granted a bridging visa A, which has work rights, but no travel rights.The bridging visa A will come into effect once the sc. 300 ceases. You should apply for a bridging visa B 2 or 3 weeks before the intended date of departure.

The idea of applying for an onshore partner visa, is that you will be living in Australia. That doesn't mean that you can't travel, but there is a time limit on the bridging visa B travel facility. You need to be in Australia for the grant of the sc. 820 visa.
Hi Nick,

thanks for getting back to me. I checked my email, i haven't got grant letter from immigration either and its been a month!

My fiance and I plan to work and live in USA for two years after we get married in Australia in August, so my concern is can I just lodge the 820 after marriage and leave Australia then return to Australia when 820 is granted without getting bridge visa since we will both in overseas?

Or Do I have to stay around in Australia till my prospective marriage visa ends then when the bridge visa A activate I then Apply for Bridge visa B right away to be able to travel to USA?

Thank you very much

Daisy

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I would check your visa status on VEVO and chase up that grant letter for starters.

The sc. 820 is an onshore visa. It cannot be granted while you are outside Australia.

Once your PMV ceases ( 9 months after grant date!) you will require a valid visa with travel rights to leave and re-enter Australia.

There is no way you will get a bridging visa B for such a long period, although you may be able to get multiple bridging visas B for shorter periods.

I don’t understand why you chose this particular pathway, if you have no intention to live in Australia for 2 years. The Department may well think the same thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.