Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We applied for a Partner Visa in October and just before Christmas I gave them a call to ask when we would likely have a decision by, I was advised maybe March if I meet the criteria etc..
Of course right now we're still in February at the moment and we've not heard anything from them at all, not a peep, so as the old adage goes 'is no news good news?', If they were just going to reject me outright would they have done so by now or does that take just as long? - all this waiting makes you feel totally paranoid.
Also being that they told me it will likely be March before a decision is made, how likely is it that it will be actually be March or do they have a tendancy to move the goalposts further into the future eg April/May etc?
And if the decision date is put even further back how possible is it to even get availability for flights to Australia within such tight timescales?

We're becoming more & more stressed & anxious every month which passes & this has recently further increased by the awful news that my Husbands Father is about to go into hospital for a serious cancer operation & we really really do need to be there with & for them at this time. It is such an exhausting & frustrating situation to be in living life 'in suspense' for so long which am sure many others can identify with too..

I would really appreciate any thoughts/advice on this..

thanks

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Please do not double post - http://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/7477-how-accurate-decison-times-given.html
As for flights, Immi do state that there is a risk for people to go booking flights ahead of having a visa and when a visa is issued you are given an enter by date usually @ 12 months from doing a medical and the very reason why being requested to do a medical is left to be one of the last things in a visa application assessment process.

It could be that your husband may want to fly back ahead of you or alternately you may want to consider flying on a visitor visa but then you'll need to take a short trip abroad to say NZ to have the visa granted.
You would need to give advice if deciding to do that, a Form 1022 available on the Immi site and though it works for most people, there is some risk in that the onus is always on the applicant to be in the right place for issuing of a visa and Immi are actually working outside of regulations in being prepared to notify you of a grant being imminent and if there is a slip up, it's still on the applicant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

We applied for a Partner Visa in October and just before Christmas I gave them a call to ask when we would likely have a decision by, I was advised maybe March if I meet the criteria etc..
Of course right now we're still in February at the moment and we've not heard anything from them at all, not a peep, so as the old adage goes 'is no news good news?', If they were just going to reject me outright would they have done so by now or does that take just as long? - all this waiting makes you feel totally paranoid.
Also being that they told me it will likely be March before a decision is made, how likely is it that it will be actually be March or do they have a tendancy to move the goalposts further into the future eg April/May etc?
And if the decision date is put even further back how possible is it to even get availability for flights to Australia within such tight timescales?

We're becoming more & more stressed & anxious every month which passes & this has recently further increased by the awful news that my Husbands Father is about to go into hospital for a serious cancer operation & we really really do need to be there with & for them at this time. It is such an exhausting & frustrating situation to be in living life 'in suspense' for so long which am sure many others can identify with too..

I would really appreciate any thoughts/advice on this..

thanks
Hello weekenddreamerz ,

Nice to know that we are not alone in this boat. Our application is from 19.10.2010 offshore in London. You can check my previous post and see the exact dates. I am applying for PMV 300.However we are regretting now that we didn't go for 309 as we live on a family basis 2 years.
We have been advised that the whole process is taking 6 months. Currently they are approving applications from end of September so i really hope that we can get ours till end of March. I haven't been in touch with our CO after he confirmed that he has all the required docs but i am planning to call him in beginning of March.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mcsyl

Thank you for the message! I do hope you have good news yourselves very soon!
I'm counting the days (19!) until 1st March when I too will also be phoning our Case Officer to get an update.
I'm sure you also agree how stressful & exhausting it is continually waiting for any news & exisiting in suspense every day, week & month & being totally unable to make any plans.. am sure almost all the Offshore Applicants go through this so we're not alone..
the crazy thing for our situe though is that we have been so happily together now for almost 13 years and married 12 years!, so bearing this in mind you would think the decision would come perhaps just a little quicker?... but hey ho Nope, it's just the exact same timescales as those who've only just recently met etc
Both my husband & me and his family are really getting anxious now to receive some good news, so fingers & toes crossed...
Oh! by the way - you mentioned in your message that currently they're approving applications from the end of September?, how do you know this?, have you called them to see? If this is accurate then hopefully neither of us should have tooo much longer to wait? - hopefully anyway?or am I wishful thinking? :)
Best Wishes
Weekenddreamerz!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Mcsyl

Thank you for the message! I do hope you have good news yourselves very soon!
I'm counting the days (19!) until 1st March when I too will also be phoning our Case Officer to get an update.
I'm sure you also agree how stressful & exhausting it is continually waiting for any news & exisiting in suspense every day, week & month & being totally unable to make any plans.. am sure almost all the Offshore Applicants go through this so we're not alone..
the crazy thing for our situe though is that we have been so happily together now for almost 13 years and married 12 years!, so bearing this in mind you would think the decision would come perhaps just a little quicker?... but hey ho Nope, it's just the exact same timescales as those who've only just recently met etc
Both my husband & me and his family are really getting anxious now to receive some good news, so fingers & toes crossed...
Oh! by the way - you mentioned in your message that currently they're approving applications from the end of September?, how do you know this?, have you called them to see? If this is accurate then hopefully neither of us should have tooo much longer to wait? - hopefully anyway?or am I wishful thinking? :)
Best Wishes
Weekenddreamerz!
Hi weekenddreamerz,

Believe me i do understand your frustration. It has been long process. Gathering docs, certifying, applying for police checks (bearing in mind I am Bulgarian living in UK)- really time consuming...

Anyway i think that you shouldn't worry at all , i belive it is just a matter of time and you will get your approval. As you said you have long lasting marriage.Looks like you can be granted subclass 100 straight away without the waiting period of 2 years. Fingers and toes crossed :))
Recently i have joined another forum for British in Australia and people there share the progress of their applications. So i have the information form there - pomsinoz.

As per the processing time In most cases the decision is taken much earlier but the visa has to be granted in a certain time which obviously relates with the new immigration quotes for the year and how loaded is the local Embassy where the appl is sent.So don't take it personally.
My advice - don't be afraid to call and speak to your CO. He might have a good news. A lot of people are calling and finding out that the visa is granted. I called mine today but he is away from the office so i left a message.

I don't know if its wise to ask him to change PMV 300 to Partner 309. The required docs are the same and he has the evidences for our relation for 12 months. We are in a de facto relationship but we are getting married in July.

Thank you, hope you are having a nice day!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mcsyl

I just saw the update on your timeline post, that's great news!, at least you can make firm plans for your future now! :)
On your previous email you mention you saw on the Pomsinoz Forum that they are now up to processing applications from September, can you remember whereabouts on their site you found the information?, as that site seems to be such a mix & match of all different information that it's not as easy to find what you are looking for, no worrries if you cannot remember , will keep hunting through.. :)
We're counting counting the days until March when I will give my Case Office a call to get an update, just wish we had a fast forward button to make time go faster!
Hope you have a great weekend!
Best Wishes
Weekenddreamerz

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I have always said and will do so again!
Think about what calling/emailing a CO might achieve1
Will it hasten the process? - not likely at all.
Will it slow the process? - very possibly for COs will have many applications on the go at any one time and if everyone is contacting them, that just means more time away from whatever task they may be addressing at the time, disrupting something to check another file, report on it and then get back to what they were doing.
Patience by all helps everyone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Mcsyl

I just saw the update on your timeline post, that's great news!, at least you can make firm plans for your future now! :)
On your previous email you mention you saw on the Pomsinoz Forum that they are now up to processing applications from September, can you remember whereabouts on their site you found the information?, as that site seems to be such a mix & match of all different information that it's not as easy to find what you are looking for, no worrries if you cannot remember , will keep hunting through.. :)
We're counting counting the days until March when I will give my Case Office a call to get an update, just wish we had a fast forward button to make time go faster!

Best Wishes
Weekenddreamerz
hi Weekenddreamerz,
I am a member of another forum and one lady applicant mentioned in her post that the Immig is finalizing applications submitted August-September.This came after she inquired because her applications have been in process for almost 6 months too.She was told that a decision will come out in March

I am guessing that they are trying to adhere to the 6months processing time schedule.Ours is on the way as I have lodged an offshore too last September.We have waited this long and we could still wait another month.

Good things come to those who wait......this seemed to be my motto these days even when patience is not my strongest virtue....

cheers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Mcsyl

Best Wishes
Weekenddreamerz
Hello Weekenddreamerz ,

That was a good news for sure but until we don't see the official e-mail visa granted we can't buy airplane tickets. I know that once you are approved they give you an entry date ( means you should enter Australia by certain date) so it is still confusing without this info. So we are stuck and waiting again:) But I cant complain really, at last i had good news and as i said it is just a matter of time.

I am posting you directly the link. Read after page 286.

According members posts as far as i can remember there was an approved application from 23rd Sept! Of course i see some from very end of August and beginning and middle of Sept. I think it depends on the personal circumstances of the applicants and their applications or their CO as well. Mine CO officer is approving his cases for about 4-5 months even he said 6 months.I really cant be sure whats the reason, i can only guess.
I hope that you get surprised one day before 1st of March:))I bet that it will be a huge relieve for you and your family!
Enjoy your day

Forget about links to other forums when posting here please.There is a simple provision of sending an blank email to Immi re getting processing updates which can be a bit meaningless because of all the variations that can occur.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi Mcsyl

Thank you for your reply, it's really nice to send & receive supportive emails from comrades in the same situation!! :)
I'm sure you agree that to be constantly advised by various sources just to 'be patient & do Nothing & just wait & see' is really not that helpful & just increases further one's frustration & exhaustion levels, but hey ho lots of us are in it together & them's the breaks I guess!!
My other big concern is that if we don't receive visa approval until say until April or even May how are we supposed to be able to even find availability on flights (?) as I'm am thinking that flights do need to be booked as far in advance as possible..again another unknown. Have you any thoughts on this yourselves?
I'm now having 2nd thoughts about contacting our case officer in March just in case it may have a detrimental effect on our application (although he was really friendly & understanding when I spoke to him before Xmas and in fact he said it would be completely fine to contact him again in Feb if we've not heard), however though the general concensus seems to be 'do not contact them' so I have been told!!!!
But hey!, keep smiling!, am sure you will hear very soon!, do let me know as soon as you get the approval! :)
Best Wishes,
Weekenddreamerz

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
hi Mcsyl

Thank you for your reply, it's really nice to send & receive supportive emails from comrades in the same situation!! :)
I'm sure you agree that to be constantly advised by various sources just to 'be patient & do Nothing & just wait & see' is really not that helpful & just increases further one's frustration & exhaustion levels, but hey ho lots of us are in it together & them's the breaks I guess!!
My other big concern is that if we don't receive visa approval until say until April or even May how are we supposed to be able to even find availability on flights (?) as I'm am thinking that flights do need to be booked as far in advance as possible..again another unknown. Have you any thoughts on this yourselves?
I'm now having 2nd thoughts about contacting our case officer in March just in case it may have a detrimental effect on our application (although he was really friendly & understanding when I spoke to him before Xmas and in fact he said it would be completely fine to contact him again in Feb if we've not heard), however though the general concensus seems to be 'do not contact them' so I have been told!!!!
But hey!, keep smiling!, am sure you will hear very soon!, do let me know as soon as you get the approval! :)
Best Wishes,
Weekenddreamerz
I get somewhat bemused with your comment and in particular
I'm sure you agree that to be constantly advised by various sources just to 'be patient & do Nothing & just wait & see' is really not that helpful & just increases further one's frustration & exhaustion levels
And I'll answer with a couple of points for you:
. Sure, some Immi officers may be happy to field enquiries, some maybe even liking the distraction from attending to the real work and no doubt there are many of a friendly enough nature.
But just as surely, put yourself in their position of processing multiple applications and would you be all the more efficient if every person with an application in was contacting you every few months?
That is why I put
Think about what calling/emailing a CO might achieve1
Will it hasten the process? - not likely at all.
Will it slow the process? - very possibly for COs will have many applications on the go at any one time and if everyone is contacting them, that just means more time away from whatever task they may be addressing at the time, disrupting something to check another file, report on it and then get back to what they were doing.
Patience by all helps everyone.
As for that other forum, I have seen it in action and they used to have a moderator who it seemed liked nothing more than to get people excited, a visit to Australia House even arranged but that more about skilled visas, again the problem being more applications than available numbers slows the processing time for some, those usually applying towards the second half of a financial year.

Now if you think having patience may be frustrating for you, what do you think a whole heap of people venting their anxiety is going to do?
It just means they work off one another, the opposite of what a controlled group counselling session will achieve and that will become exhausting.
You have not got an Egyption situation where people power is going to achieve whatever is in store for them.

As for when you fly, that will be if you do get a visa and one thing that is clear enough is if people want to risk doing a medical and police checks up front, the risk is that it is either going to be money needlessly spent or they may end up with very little time in which to arrange travel for medicals and police checks have a 12 months validity, even less for some of the latter..
April/May however is a reasonably low travel time to come from the NH to Oz and with the GFC having quietened tourism, you should be able to get a flight, perhaps paying more for booking at shorter notice but then that was your choice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As for when you fly, that will be if you do get a visa and one thing that is clear enough is if people want to risk doing a medical and police checks up front, the risk is that it is either going to be money needlessly spent or they may end up with very little time in which to arrange travel for medicals and police checks have a 12 months validity, even less for some of the latter.
Hi Wanderer,
Thank you for your advises. I just want to comment about upfront lodged medicals and police checks. I have been advised to submit complete application alonge with police checks and if it's possible medicals. I have been told by High Commission that this will speed up the process. At this time the processing time was 3-4 months. Unfortunately waiting for the police checks to come back the processing time 2 months later was 6 months. So we just tried to meet their requirements and do what we have been told.:eek:

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hi Wanderer,
Thank you for your advises. I just want to comment about upfront lodged medicals and police checks. I have been advised to submit complete application alonge with police checks and if it's possible medicals. I have been told by High Commission that this will speed up the process. At this time the processing time was 3-4 months. Unfortunately waiting for the police checks to come back the processing time 2 months later was 6 months. So we just tried to meet their requirements and do what we have been told.:eek:
It has always been the case and a common view that front loading with medicals and police checks may lead to a quicker processing and an Immi person in saying that is not being dishonest but things do change and they cannot predict that.
The very reason why Immi written advice via the site is to wait until requested is in part because things can change, eg.
. Numbers of applications up and processing times can quickly become longer.
. The Australian government could at any time dramatically reduce annual migration
And then no visa application is guaranteed a grant so if there is something amiss so a visa application is to be rejected, the costs of police/medical checks is wasted.
The advantage re a quicker time in having medicals/police checks in early may only be a month or so too, though for some countries, getting a police check can be several months and so in those cases, it may be a reasonable gamble to start the process for that a few months after a visa application is submitted.
And then there are the High Risk countries and if an ASIO check is required, that can add 6+ months to the processing time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.