Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm a 20-years-old argentinian/italian guy, my name is Augusto, and I'm really really frustrated, the thing is that I want to study cinematics, I planned everything.. I'm going to need to work 3 years in Melbourne so I can pay my studies in i-animate (an online animation school with mentors from pixar, dreamwork, disney, EA, Ubisoft, etc), and then go to Vancouver canada to study 3D animation and Visual Effects.

I planned everything, even financial stuff, how much is the minimum needed to live, to rent, the minimum wage of almost 700 per week or 16 per hour, everything, EVERYTHING, but then the visas.. it's the most difficult thing for me, I've never done that, but I don't care, there HAS TO BE A WAY for me to reach my goals, my dreams, THERE HAS TO.

I've seen different types of visas, working holiday visas, internships, work visas but for SKILLED people, and I AM skilled in animation, 3D, CG and stuff because is my passion but I don't have a formal certificate, and actually to be honest I dumped my college I was studying direction in animation film making, but they are SO poor, I mean the prestige of their certificate and the things they teach I already know it from high school, and I don't want to waste my time with teachers that don't know shit and their certificate doesn't have any prestige at all ass VFC (Vancouver film school), so I've decided this, to study in i-animate, 7 sessions, each one 11 weeks, for 1700 dollars per session, that's why I need to work in a 1st world country, with a high minimum wage that will allow me to pay my rent, living AND studies, and also I've chosen Melbourne because if I'm going to be 3 years and more in a city it will be the better for me if it's a city that I'll be enjoying, and Melbourne is one of the top 5 cities to live in the world, so what the hell, and if we are talking about art, our motivation is happiness, the more happy we are the better content we can create.

Okey sorry for writing a lot of crap and not saying what I want or what is my problem, and my problem are the VISAS, HOW, HOW can I do to work in melbourne legally? how can I do it? can I look for work with a holiday visa? how? what should I have to do to be able to stay 3 years there or more working at a bar or something for the first years? there has to be a way, even if it's not europe (I'm an european citizen), and I know that europe for me it would be more easy, but I DON'T WANT EUROPE, I want you, I want Melbourne, this is what I want, even if it's the most difficult thing to do, I don't care.. there has to be a way! I don't care if I have to work 12 hours and then study 8 hours and only sleep 4 hours, I. DON'T. CARE.. And I don't have a degree to do an internship.

Please, I never ask for help, I prefer to be independent and not rely on people, i never rely on anyone except my parents, but this time.. I've researched since 1 year, 1 YEAR, all my options, all the countries, england, germany, korea, japan, canada, usa, france, new zealand, and I made like a point system, so I've compared all the pros and cons, and the result was Melbourne being the BEST choice and it IS, even with it's cons like visas and stuff IT IS.

SO there HAS to be a WAY, I KNOW THERE HAS TO BE A WAY..

·
Registered
332 Posts
I suggest you consult with a registered migration agent to review your specifics as it appears your visa options are limited. You could start by posting in the Ask Mark! thread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suggest you consult with a registered migration agent to review your specifics as it appears your visa options are limited. You could start by posting in the Ask Mark! thread.
Where is that "Ask Mark!" thread you are talking about? I can't see it!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I don't think that you are going to have much luck.

Australia don't have visas for unskilled migrants to come in and work for several years to save money to then study. It doesn't work like that.

You need to be skilled (in a job that Australia deems as being in demand) and have the work experience in that field to be classed as skilled.

So the only way you can work in Australia for 3 years is to qualify for a skilled visa.

What is your job title exactly?

Once you know that have a look on the SOL and CSOL lists - your job will need to be on there to gain a skilled visa.

SOL list - Skilled Occupations List (SOL)

I couldnt see anything on the SOL list that would fit what you do. So then you need to have a look at the CSOL list:

Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List

There may be a job title on there that fits what you are looking to do. If you find one you will see a ANZSCO Code next to it. Google that code and it will tell you the basic requirements you need to work in that job. Generally you need a few years experience and a qualification.

Being 20 I don't see how you would have the experience or qualifications necessary to gain a skilled visa.

The 457 is a temporary visa - but to get that visa your occupation has to be on the SOL list or your occupation has to be classed a skill that falls between ANZSCO 1-3 (I believe) - but as I said above given your age I don't know if you'd have any luck. Business' that employ people on that visa also have to demonstrate that an Australian citizen/PR could not do the job, they also have to pay you a certain salary and be a business that is eligible to sponsor workers (meeting training benchmarks etc I believe).

I would also note that whilst Australia has a high min wage - it's extremely expensive to live here. Getting $700.00 a week will mean you aren't putting a lot of money into savings. You need to save money for your tuition which is close to $12,000 and to get a student visa you also need to have the money in the bank to fund your return ticket home and your living expenses for the duration of your course.

Can you not work in another European country where a visa is not an issue, save the money required and then come to Australia on a student visa? Even if you come to Australia on a visitor visa it's not as simple as finding someone to give you a job, you still need to be skilled.

I don't think Mark on the "Ask Mark" thread will be able to give you the detailed information you need so would advise you set up an appointment with him (or another MARA registered agent) to go through any options you may have.

Reactions: Eizzi

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't think that you are going to have much luck.

Australia don't have visas for unskilled migrants to come in and work for several years to save money to then study. It doesn't work like that.

You need to be skilled (in a job that Australia deems as being in demand) and have the work experience in that field to be classed as skilled.

So the only way you can work in Australia for 3 years is to qualify for a skilled visa.

What is your job title exactly?

Once you know that have a look on the SOL and CSOL lists - your job will need to be on there to gain a skilled visa.

SOL list - Skilled Occupations List (SOL)

I couldn't see anything on the SOL list that would fit what you do. So then you need to have a look at the CSOL list:

Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List

There may be a job title on there that fits what you are looking to do. If you find one you will see a ANZSCO Code next to it. Google that code and it will tell you the basic requirements you need to work in that job. Generally you need a few years experience and a qualification.

Being 20 I don't see how you would have the experience or qualifications necessary to gain a skilled visa.

The 457 is a temporary visa - but to get that visa your occupation has to be on the SOL list or your occupation has to be classed a skill that falls between ANZSCO 1-3 (I believe) - but as I said above given your age I don't know if you'd have any luck. Business' that employ people on that visa also have to demonstrate that an Australian citizen/PR could not do the job, they also have to pay you a certain salary and be a business that is eligible to sponsor workers (meeting training benchmarks etc I believe).

I would also note that whilst Australia has a high min wage - it's extremely expensive to live here. Getting $700.00 a week will mean you aren't putting a lot of money into savings. You need to save money for your tuition which is close to $12,000 and to get a student visa you also need to have the money in the bank to fund your return ticket home and your living expenses for the duration of your course.

Can you not work in another European country where a visa is not an issue, save the money required and then come to Australia on a student visa? Even if you come to Australia on a visitor visa it's not as simple as finding someone to give you a job, you still need to be skilled.

I don't think Mark on the "Ask Mark" thread will be able to give you the detailed information you need so would advise you set up an appointment with him (or another MARA registered agent) to go through any options you may have.
I believe there are plenty of jobs who don't require a lot of skills, and they actually seem to give an 457 visa, like some bars and restaurants, but those are little, so yeah, I know it's difficult because of my age, but I also know there are ways to make difficult thing a little more easy, and also there are ways to bend the law legally.

But yeah, maybe I would go with england, my sister was living in england a bit, now she's living in new zealand, and I have EU citizenship so I suppose it would be easier, but for fuck sake, there must be a way

Thanks for answering by the way, I really appreciate it!

Also improving my disgusting poor english would be a nice excuse

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You have great English so that's not something to worry about :)

Australia needs to protect it's younger generation and give them priority over someone coming in and doing a job that they could do. If they allow low skilled workers in then this will damage that and drive a lot of Australians, like myself, out. It was hard enough for me to find a job when I left school. The unemployment rate is horrible but it's even higher for the younger generations.

I don't see how someone at a bar could get a 457 visa. Restaurant managers could get a 457, but they still need to have experience and skills in that field. If you are simply serving drinks or serving food - you won't be able to get a 457, and rightly so.

I'm in England at the moment and the job market is a lot better here than in Australia . The unemployment rate in the UK is decreasing.

Otherwise you could look at getting a 1 year 462 visa. But it's only a year, and don't expect to save a great deal of money on it. But you could work in Europe for a 2-3 years, then come to Australia on a 462 and then apply for a student visa - it will give you a chance to see what Melbourne is like.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Australia needs to protect it's younger generation and give them priority over someone coming in and doing a job that they could do. If they allow low skilled workers in then this will damage that and drive a lot of Australians, like myself, out. It was hard enough for me to find a job when I left school. The unemployment rate is horrible but it's even higher for the younger generations.

I don't see how someone at a bar could get a 457 visa. Restaurant managers could get a 457, but they still need to have experience and skills in that field. If you are simply serving drinks or serving food - you won't be able to get a 457, and rightly so.

I'm in England at the moment and the job market is a lot better here than in Australia . The unemployment rate in the UK is decreasing.

Otherwise you could look at getting a 1 year 462 visa. But it's only a year, and don't expect to save a great deal of money on it. But you could work in Europe for a 2-3 years, then come to Australia on a 462 and then apply for a student visa - it will give you a chance to see what Melbourne is like.
Crap, I really don't want to take australians job away, but if we think it that way.. we are always taking away the job of someone else, also I've looked up to the list completely and saw that there are some works that I could do, even with my low skillset, and those are: social worker, carpenter, Arts Administrator or Manager, Painter (Visual Arts), Film and Video Editor, Graphic Designer, Illustrator, Multimedia Designer, Database Administrator, Sound Technician.

And btw.. if I went to england then there wouldn't be need to go to australia, I would go to Canada to continue my studies in 3D animation and visual effects.. I love it..

Lol it's funny because at first I thought about workaway.info, they have great deals, you go work for a family in exchange of food an a place to be.

Also, now that you said about me taking away a job from a young man (which is absolutely truth), I actually thought that if I had job in melbourne I would give the rest of my money to charities and people on the streets of melbourne, clothes and stuff, I thought that would be a great way to say "thanks" to the country, Idk, in my country they let everyone enter.. and we still have tons of jobs.. for young and old people, idk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

462 yes but 417 too, don't forget I'm italian too lol, but i don't know the difference between those, and also it says 1 year, but before I saw and it said 6 months, but.. so.. if I had this 1 year visa, could I ask for the same visa again being in melbourne? to stay a year more? I would just need 2 years only to save money to go to vancouver, maximum 3 years, I know it's expensive to live in melbourne but I saw some pretty inexpensive hostels and rents, and I'm okay with eating rice all days, no problem.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You can only get the visa once.

You can only work for an employer for 6 months at most. That might be where you are getting the 6 months from.

I don't think you understand just how expensive Australia is...I would suggest you do some more research into this.

Yes you are always taking the job away from someone else, but giving it to a foreigner is quite different and has repercussions.

Given the amount of jobs you listed I take it you didn't Google the codes next to them. To be a social worker here you need university qualifications, to be a carpenter you need many years experience and qualifications - as do the other jobs you mentioned.

A lot of people want to come to Australia to live and work - so they have to restrict visas - not everyone can get there unfortunately.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You can only get the visa once.

You can only work for an employer for 6 months at most. That might be where you are getting the 6 months from.

I don't think you understand just how expensive Australia is...I would suggest you do some more research into this.

Yes you are always taking the job away from someone else, but giving it to a foreigner is quite different and has repercussions.

Given the amount of jobs you listed I take it you didn't Google the codes next to them. To be a social worker here you need university qualifications, to be a carpenter you need many years experience and qualifications - as do the other jobs you mentioned.

A lot of people want to come to Australia to live and work - so they have to restrict visas - not everyone can get there unfortunately.
only once?? one-lifetime-only visa?

But in that year could I search for job and be more time? So I can only be 12 months and then I have to go back and I won't be able to get that visa again? and what about 417 AND 462? I have double citizenship.. maybe I CAN get first one visa and then the other one..

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yes, you can only apply for the visa once. Once you have used your WHV you can not use it again.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
A person with duel citizenship cannot apply for a 417 and then apply for a 462 i'm afraid. It's based on the person, each person can only have a WHV once.

To clarify this post - the 417 can be a 2 year visa, if you do the 3 months farm work required to make you eligible for a second year. But you can't get a 417 and then get a 462

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
A person with duel citizenship cannot apply for a 417 and then apply for a 462 i'm afraid. It's based on the person, each person can only have a WHV once.

To clarify this post - the 417 can be a 2 year visa, if you do the 3 months farm work required to make you eligible for a second year. But you can't get a 417 and then get a 462
Ok I didn't understood that, you are saying that working in farms in melbourne could get me up to 2 years?

Yes! http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx?tab=1&heading=regional-areas

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You would apply for a 462, that is valid for a year. Within that year, you have to do 3 months farm work - generally for nothing except food and board. Once you complete this you get another 462 valid for a year.

But if you are trying to save money for tuition - I wouldn't recommend this because you will not save the money required. If you just want to experience Australia then go for it - but please don't rely on this to save money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You would apply for a 462, that is valid for a year. Within that year, you have to do 3 months farm work - generally for nothing except food and board. Once you complete this you get another 462 valid for a year.

But if you are trying to save money for tuition - I wouldn't recommend this because you will not save the money required. If you just want to experience Australia then go for it - but please don't rely on this to save money.
it's not 462, 462 doesn't let me have the second year, you are confusing it with 417, 417 let me have a 2nd year: Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Sorry! My mistake I meant 417 :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You can apply for any job you like, but you will find a lot of employers won't hire someone on this visa because you can only work for them for 6 months. So people on this visa can generally get bar, warehouse, or hospitality work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
You can apply for any job you like, but you will find a lot of employers won't hire someone on this visa because you can only work for them for 6 months. So people on this visa can generally get bar, warehouse, or hospitality work.
And apparently I would need 5000 Aussie dollars, which I won't save that money, it would be stupid, so yeah, I believe I'm going to london or whichever is the cheapest place in england, that wouldn't be so bad I believe

Londonderry, here I go!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.