Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all! I'm in need of a much needed lesson in visas. I'm trying to get my hands on some helpful information, but none of it makes sense to me! Please help!

So.. here's the deal. My boyfriend and I are both entomologists at an insectarium in New Orleans, and he has just been accepted into the honors program at University of Queensland and I am planning on moving overseas with him, but lo and behold all the websites seemed to be written for an audience that already knows their ABC's in immigration and I know nothing. I am, desperately, hoping someone can help direct me in the right direction, like what visa should I be looking at? How do I apply? Do I need a lawyer? I work for a non-profit... how much is this going to cost? Do I need to pay when I apply? What if I get denied, do I get any money back? :confused:

Random info that might be helpful:
-I'm 25
-Am a U.S. citzen
-(but born in U.K. to 2 U.S. active military members)
-Bachelors of Science in Biology
-Been an entomologist for 2 years and 5 months
-BF and I have been dating for 10 months and living together for 9
-I would love to work, or further my education while I'm in Australia but I have no applied to anything yet

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
So.. here's the deal. My boyfriend and I are both entomologists at an insectarium in New Orleans,

** No idea what that is, but start by referring to your boyfriend as partner.

and he has just been accepted into the honors program at University of Queensland.

and I am planning on moving overseas with him, but lo and behold all the websites seemed to be written for an audience that already knows their ABC's in immigration and I know nothing.

** Yes it is that way - sorry but it gets worse from here.

I am, desperately, hoping someone can help direct me in the right direction,

** There are many here that can help a bit, several RMA's also here are very helpful (Registered Migration Agents).

like what visa should I be looking at?

** Depends, a few spring to mind - how long is the program in QLD for?

How do I apply?

** Generally online via immiacount.

Do I need a lawyer?

** No but you might want to consult an RMA.

I work for a non-profit... how much is this going to cost?

** Depends on the visa.

Do I need to pay when I apply?

** Yes

What if I get denied, do I get any money back?

** You should get a job as a comedian!

Random info that might be helpful:
-I'm 25

** Yes can be

-Am a U.S. citzen

** Yes low risk country.

-(but born in U.K. to 2 U.S. active military members)
-Bachelors of Science in Biology
-Been an entomologist for 2 years and 5 months

** Don't think helps

-BF and I have been dating for 10 months and living together for 9

** Problem for some visas.- need to be in a relationship with your partner for 12 months prior to application

-I would love to work, or further my education while I'm in Australia but I have no applied to anything yet

** Possible depending on visa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(Haha, an entomologist is a scientist that studies insects and a insectarium is basically a zoo for creepy crawlies! It's great you should go to one some day)
His honors program will be for a year, and then he is hoping to get accepted into their PhD program which is another 4 or so years.
On average, how much would it cost to get the help of an RMA?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
One option could be for you to apply for a Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) and have him mention you as his partner in his visa application. This would be possible cheaper and easier for you to obtain.

This visa is valid for a year and it is possible to extend it for an extra year.

If he gets the PhD program, he will need another visa and can include you as his partner.

** Just a suggestion for you to look at.

RMA's costs vary a bit and you might only need an initial consultation to confirm my suggestion is possible or desirable.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Tip - gather relationship evidence as far back as you can and keep gathering relationship evidence in the 4 or 5 categories (can not remember them) for possible future use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.